Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2007, 04:30 AM   #1
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
"Service Dudes" vs "Gear Heads

Well folks, I finally decided to call my Ford dealer (in Raytown,Mo)to set up an appointment to have the 4:30 gears put into my '08 F350 dually. I was a bit shocked when the "Service Dude" informed me that,"We don't do aftermarket work, you will have to take it somewhere else." A bit shocked! I was angry, I have bought 5 vehicles from these folks and they won't work on my truck. I called another local dealer and he couldn't believe it either. He wondered how they got "aftermarket" from putting Ford gears in a Ford truck. Tomorrow I get to sit around the dealership in Warrensburg while they do the work. As an aside to this, while we were having some work done on our SOB awhile back, I visited the Ford garage in Ottawa, Ks and had them work up an estimate for the work. The two dealers that bid the job were only $2 apart. Now if I can just get the call from my bodyshop about when I can get the deer ding removed.

ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bob, you might try Midwest, by Worlds of fun, A really big Ford truck dealership, a little closer to home for you. My dealer, Crossley in Liberty has a guy hired with a desk location that lines up aftermarket work there exclusively.
(He looks like is 12 years old, but a pretty sharp kid.)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used that truck center Ozz mentioned and was pleased with them. I think it's the same one, anyhow. South of Worlds of Fun, north of Flying J, east side of I-435.

Out of curiosity, Bob, what gears came in your truck? I'm just wondering if you are going from 4.88 to 4.30 or from 3.73 or 4.10 to 4.30 and why you're making the change.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Hi guys, I thank you for the input on the dealership. I had the Warrensburg dealer do the deed yesterday. Took them about 3 hrs and even washed the truck. I drove home in a downpour so I can't tell they cleaned it. Steve, I went from 4:10s to the 4:30. While the V10 wasn't working very hard, the tranny seemed to be shifting way too much. Even on fairly flat roads. Hope these new gears will do a little better. I tested the truck going to the dealer and turned 2100 rpm @ 65 mph and on the way home it was 2300 rpm @ 65 mph. (2100 rpm with the 4:30s yeilded 63 mph) It sure doesn't take rocket science to realize how to keep the same fuel mileage. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote