We took delivery of our new Mountaineer yesterday. We stayed at the dealers facility last night. Here are some of my first impressions.
1. Mattress is not bad and with the 2" foam topper is very close to our very expensive one at home. I found this a pleasant surprise.
2. The a/c was not that noisy and with any one of the two doors pulled shut not much noise at all.
3. Although I already had the Hunter thermostat purchased I can see that it will be a good addition and probably make not only hearing more efficient but keeping the coach cooler and doing so more effectively as it will most likey kick back on sooner than letting it slip away several degrees before responding. This causes it to use more energy and run longer. I would opt for shorter runs more frequently.
4. I did not add the fantastic fan to the rear bedroom nor a second a/c unit. I did not know how the single unit would do. Over all I feel the single unit is adequate but I do think that atleast a fantastic fan back there is a must for dry camping.
Also if a second a/s were put in there would it run thru the overhead venting or only dump into the bedroom?
If into the venting that would be very nice.
5. I don't think there is a way to switch off the speakers in the bedroom unless I haven't discovered that feature yet.
6. It tow nicely. We had a new Reese HP trunnion hitch and dual cams put on and they worked very nicely even though the mechanic did not grease the hitch ball
I can't believe a mechanic would not do that but hand you your rig ready for the road and not do so.
I only pulled it 80 miles so it won't happen again. I don't think this should hurt the new ball do you"
7. We brought the trailer south bound I-5 over the grapevine and the 2005 Duramax/Allison in tow haul mode with a full tank O'water and in D went up it nicely at 57 MPH A/C off. It only downshifted once and stayed right at 2400 rpms. Tranny never went over 180 and engine 200.
8. Refrigerator works very well.
9. Double awnings on entrance side is a good move. Atleast in my opinion.
10. I think large closet in bedroom should have a light.
11. Bedroom door should also have 3 steps like rear entrance.
12. Water pump is pretty noisy.
13. Again not bad for noise especially with any one of the two doors closed.
I will relate any additional notes in future.
I think we are going to really like this unit.