Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
New vs Used replacement parts

On Jan 8 I posted a reply regarding a refrigerator not cooling. We had a heat pipe replaced by a local RV mobile repair for $169. The part was warranteed by Dometic but the labor, 1 hr, and service call was not.

I retired after 32 years with the Volkswagen Parts dept so I have some experience with warranty. There are a number of dealers that take advantage of warranty situations both in the automotive and now the RV industry.

The part went out again after two weeks and was replaced today by the same mobile repair. This time the same tech and his partner came out. The tech was new and was in training the first time by the owner. I was more than concerned that the first repair was done with a take off and not a new part as it was not packaged and appeared dark rather than bright like a new one.

When I questioned them during this call they showed me the new part in the plastic, sealed bag and assured me it was new. The one they took out was obviously old, dark and burnt in appearance.

Be aware that this does happen. I'm sure that most repairs are done on the up and up but there are always those that try and take short cuts to increase the bottom line. Once the dust settles, we have already discussed contacting Dometic to make them aware of our situation. This repair service was on their list recommended to us and according to the owner was picked to be Dometic's exclusive dealer in this area.

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Dick, in my opinion, the BEST way to increase your bottom line, now and in the future, is to provide honest, reliable service at a fair price. You win customers for life who will come back to you, not run in the other direction. Unfortunately, it seems that too many businesses these days are so short-sighted that this reality just does not register with them. Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote