Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2006, 04:11 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Enthusiasm for Montatana still high.

Well, I can tell by the posts I read that I am not alone in saying that buying a new Montana is a long lasting high . I have owned 10 different RVs over the last 32 years. Five fifth wheels and five slide in campers.
I bought 4 of the Fivers brand new and 3 of the campers brand new but this Montana is the first unit I have ever owned that lived up to my expectations. I have made improvements because working on an RV is a hobby for me but in it's stock form, my Montana has been terrific.

It's coming up to 10 months that I have owned my Montana and my enthusiasm has not dampened one little bit. A day doesn't go by without me going in there and I have my morning coffee out there most days. We are having cool mornings now and it is only about 55 F in the morning so I turn the fireplace on and in 30 minutes , it is warm.

I have a 3000 square foot stick house that is very comfortable inside but my Montana feels just as comfortable and that is a great feeling.

On our last 44 day trip, I never missed the stick house one little bit. You full timers might have the right idea and someday we might try the full timing, just have to find a place to store all my tools.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:37 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I had a full set of metric and standard mechanics tools and lots of extras. It filled a 5' tall tool cabinet. So when I loaded up the Montana and TV, I had to do some severe paring down. What did, do I really need on the road fulltiming? The remainder is stored in that tool chest at our home site. Somewhere back in my postings there is a list of nearly all I carry with me. It can be done.

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

Go to Top of Page

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:52 AM   #3
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Wrenchtraveller, Know the feeling well. Although this Montana is our 1st ever, can't imagine having any other kind. We've had ours 1 year now. Wow. We had to put ours back down at our lake while the new roof got put on the brick house and we sure miss it being close by. No doubt it looks good at the lake, but we miss it terribly!! We have to go down & visit her because we think that she misses us too! My mother is coming to visit in about 3 weeks, so we will pull the Monty back up to the house, so we can have 30 amp. My sister had asked me where Mom was going to stay when she came and I replied "Well, I'm thinking she can stay in our luxury condo!" Now she says she is going to try & come to. Our next project is to take down the old barn and build the Montana Place! When we first brought her home, we decided that we had to totally finish remodeling the brick house because somehow it just didn't seem right that our "camper" was nicer than our house! The feeling is so great when you're in the Montana. It's kinda like the ol' Rocky Mountain High to me.

Lisa alias Wife of Dano
2006 3000RK
1998 Mustang GT

Young At Heart Other Parts Slightly Older
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:58 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don
Great post and I think you echo what many of us feel and sometimes fail to mention. We are preparing to full time - probably by next spring - and Ed's tools are one item of discussion. We carry one of just about everything except items we are sure we will never use. Like you we have been at this RVing for a while although not as long as you. Over time you get a sense of what you will need. One thing we recently noticed is we had some duplicates. One of something in the Monty and another in the truck tool box. We have decided the tool box in the truck is our salvation as it can carry the extra weight - we have a dually. Thank you again.
Happy trails.........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:07 AM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Surely there must be campgrounds that have work shops where you can rent time on table saws and other large wood working tools. I think I can pack most of the hand tools I need but it is my big shop tools I am going to miss.

Has anybody ever heard of a CG like this?

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 08-26-2006, 06:24 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
There are many campgrounds down south that have wood working shops along with crafting rooms and other "hobby" type rooms. Many of these campgrounds are more "resort" style that handle the fulltime rv'er.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #7
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
I know this is redundant, but we also have been rving for over 40 years, and fulltiming for over 25 years. We too have bought many rvs over the years, from pick up campers to mohos to fivers. We have owned just about 10 different makes. For some strange , unknown at this time, reason, we or shall I say her, fell in love with the Monty that we own now. In all honesty, of all the rvs we have owned and lived in, this Monty is by far the best rv we have ever had. Funny, when you tell other people that, they think you are just biased. But when you tell other Monty owners, they KNOW what you mean and it becomes the accepted thing. Strange how some see bias.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:48 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don
Dave is right about some of the CGs that cater to full timers. Also we found a good way to get around not have a big saw was to have HD or Lowes cut our wood. We also carry an electic saber/jigsaw saw. You can't do as much but it is better than nothing and has its own compact case. We also have a couple of hand saws.
Happy trails........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:51 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have been rv'ing now for 5 years. I bought my first TT when I was 21 and used it for 2 years. I then traded in my Mountaineer for my current 3400RL back in 2004. I really enjoy all the things that my Montana has provided me and cant wait until I can hit the road fulltime!

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #10
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Thanks for all the great replies and you guys are making me excited about retireing in a few years. I was 22 back in 72, so Dave and I both fell for RVing at a young age.

I have made this statement a few times before but I will make it again for newer members.
I have never been in a Montana model that I didn,t like the ambiance more than RVs costing many times more. I have been in diesel pusher busses worth far more than my stick house and they did very little for me. The low ceilings in most busses are something I could not live in.
But a beautiful, affordable , Montana Fiver...........that is a true home on wheels.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 08-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I can't really add to what already has been said. One thing for sure is when I do upgrade my Monty it will be for another Monty and unless they come up with yet another floor plan it will be the 3400.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you are anything like us, you will initially carry with you those items you need, those you might need, and those you *think* you might need but are unsure. Then, after 6 months to a year you'll decide to offload some of those things. A year later you'll offload some more. Etc.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:35 PM   #13
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Stiles,

I would be interested in the list of tools that you took along with your rig. I was unable to locate it in the archives. Can you give me a link to the archive or did you keep the list you can repost?

Mike

F350 7.3L LB SRW
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:39 AM   #14
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
After one year I love my Monty even more.

Jerzy&Tricia05 Montana 3500RL05 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0L PSD SB CC FX4 4X4Reese Signature Series5TH Airborne King Pin
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #15
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have to agree with Glenn, if and when we ever upgrade we most likely will go with the 3400. We absolutely love our 2950, but every once in a while we think; what if...?

Mike, the tools we have are a drill, circular saw, recripocating saw, flashlight, and vacuum. All by Ryobi and all 18 volt with a charger and two batteries. We have the all important torque wrench and corresponding socket. We have a complete set of sockets up to 7/8 3/8ths and 1/2; along with the socket wrenches. Crescent wrenchs, screw drivers,two pipe wrenches, grease guns, and various odds and ends. We also have a set we bought at Wal-Mart that has all of the smaller sockets and screw driver ends necessary to work on our Monty. Everything fits into the tool box.

Gary and Karen
SFC USAR Ret.
MOC (4049)
2006 2950RK
2005 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison SB
16K Pull rite Super Glide
Prodigy brake controller

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did, so throw off the bow lines, sail away from safe harbor and catch the trade winds in your sails." Mark Twain
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:10 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
welll..The Montana is the best Rv we have ever owned and since we have one it was the all over best bang for our buck and one that met all our need at this time. I will say however that in terms of the "Little things" like cabinet doors falling off, Apollo door handles breaking, breakers tripping and a bunch of little workmanship issues we have had more of those in 3 months of Montana ownership that we had in all of our previous campers,,Got to give credit were credit is due. I don't think that is a particular criticism of Keystone but what the industry has become over the years. And no we do not think that the Montana is the only camper in the world and the only one we would ever buy or the best one out there or that we would buy another one..but if we had to do it over again the circumstances being the same we would still buy the 3400 Montana. We have always purchased what best suits our needs at the time..Montana by far...this time...

Oh..as a add on..We just returned form a 500 miles trip G.L rally included and the Montana preformed flawlessly as it did on the first trip we took. We have no "major" complaints.The Montana is a fine camper..warts and all.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #17
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I have been an RVer of some sorts since the late 70's too. I will have to agree with Don that the Monty is hard to be for the money. Also, it seems they keep getting better each year and that does keep the excitement in the future of the label.

Native Tex

O.V. & Kathy Bonner
Miss Ko-Ko (Chocolate Lab)
Huntsville, Al
'05, 3400RL
'05 F250 Ford King Ranch, CC, FX4/4x4, 6.0L PSD

"Freedom Isn't Free....Support Our Troops
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #18
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Okay, Guys and Gals, how do you upgrade, except for a newer year, if you already have the 3400RL? This being our third Montana and not any complaints on any of them, we have loved them all and have enjoyed each one to the hilt. We have taken several cross country trips as well as short ones and they have preformed without a hitch. We invent things to go to just to use ours. Have compared different brands and found that there are some very nice ones out there, but we keep coming back to the one we love most, the Montana.
I am like everyone else and am trying to figure out which tools I need to take and leave at the stick house, one of these days I will figure it out.
Can't tell that we love our Montana, can you!!!

http://tinypic.com/epqan9.ipg

Paul and Sue Remaley
03 Durmax/Allison
4x4, 4 dr., long bed
05 3400 RL
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:49 PM   #19
Montana_6206
Established Member

M.O.C. #6206
Ok, we are sold on owning a Montana. The choice for our needs is the 3475RL. We will have to wait until the first of the year for tax advantages but the plan is emerging. One of my biggest questions was about tools and all of the input here has been most helpful. Because of my background, I will be carrying tools of a different kind. I bought a camper once and gutted it to make a mobile shop with all of the tools being of the small variety. I did pretty good until I weighed the 3/4 ton p/u and was over 10,000#. So, I downsized a bit. I'm kind of a round guy, so I will be taking along a wood lathe and a metal lathe so my love of making and fixing things will satisfy my need to work with my hands. We love this forum and look forward to many hours and miles of sharing.....Thanks to all.......Dave & Trish

Gottagoplaces
Montana_6206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #20
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by paulrem

Okay, Guys and Gals, how do you upgrade, except for a newer year, if you already have the 3400RL? This being our third Montana and not any complaints on any of them, we have loved them all and have enjoyed each one to the hilt. We have taken several cross country trips as well as short ones and they have preformed without a hitch. We invent things to go to just to use ours. Have compared different brands and found that there are some very nice ones out there, but we keep coming back to the one we love most, the Montana.
I am like everyone else and am trying to figure out which tools I need to take and leave at the stick house, one of these days I will figure it out.
Can't tell that we love our Montana, can you!!!

http://tinypic.com/epqan9.ipg

Paul and Sue Remaley
03 Durmax/Allison
4x4, 4 dr., long bed
05 3400 RL
These are the type of posts that make me feel so great to be a Montana owner. Many people on this forum have towed Montana Fivers long distances with no problems or very few problems. My first trip was 44 days long and 3200 miles of pure RV pleasure with no issues of any kind.
Back in 87 I bought a high end Canadian made unit that fell apart on me on my first trip. Being a Canadian myself, I spent extra money to buy a Canadian product and ended up with junk. Canadian RVs are now better made but not near the value of a Montana.

Montanas aren't perfect but they are the best RV value on the market today, I am certain of that.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL