Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 AM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Recall notice

An NHTSA Recall was found for your vehicle.

NHTSA Campaign ID: *10V587000
****Manufacturer: *KEYSTONE RV COMPANY
******Model Year: *2008
************Make: *KEYSTONE
***********Model: *MONTANA
*****Recall Date: *20101117
*******Component: *EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE

**Potential # of
**Units Affected: *4770

Summary:

KEYSTONE IS RECALLING CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AND FIFTH WHEEL TRAILERS EQUIPPED WITH 1200-SERIES NORCOLD REFRIGERATORS. *THE POPULATION OF REFRIGERATORS BEING ADDRESSED CONTAINS EITHER A SENSING ALGORITHM OR THERMAL SWITCH TO SHUT OFF POWER TO THE REFRIGERATOR WHEN HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE DETECTED IN ORDER TO PREVENT A POTENTIAL FIRE. *THE RESPONSE TIMES OF THE SENSOR ALGORITHM AND THERMAL SWITCH DEVICES TO STOP POWER ARE NOT SUFFICIENT. *

Consequence:

THE SENSING ALGORITHM OR THERMAL SWITCH INSTALLED TO SHUT OFF POWER TO THE REFRIGERATOR WHEN HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE DETECTED DUE TO A POSSIBLE HYDROGEN GAS LEAK MAY NOT SHUT OFF IN SUFFICIENT TIME TO PREVENT A FIRE.

Remedy:

KEYSTONE IS WORKING WITH NORCOLD TO IDENTIFY AND NOTIFY ANY AFFECTED OWNERS. *OWNERS WILL BE INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT NORCOLD DEALERS TO RECEIVE THE REMEDY FREE OF CHARGE. *PLEASE SEE NORCOLD'S DEFECT REPORT 10E-049 FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. *THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2010. *OWNERS MAY CONTACT NORCOLD AT 1-800-767-9101 OR KEYSTONE AT 866-425-4369. * *KEYSTONE SAFETY RECALL NO. 10-150.OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV[/url] . * *000038417000278630000000330

---------------------------------------------------------------

Your recalls: *http://www.goodsamclub.com/rvcentral/samalert.aspx

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I read in this post that there is Hydrogen gas? What for? Isn't this the highly flammable gas that blew up the Hindenburg? I thought my fridge used ammonia? And what is the remedy? How does one get Norcold's Defect report (web search, I imagine, but they should have attached it).

I love an incomplete recall that just messes with my mind, tells me there's more information, and then doesn't tell me how to get it fixed. Just calling someone is not a good option. In the past, that has only gotten me on a list.

Many thanks for the post. This doesn't seem to apply to my unit, but I feel for those where it does.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
This the same recall that was issued by Norcold in Oct or Nov. Many of us have already received the letters from Keystone and had the resulting visit to dealer for the retrofit. If you have a 1200 series (four door) then it will most likely pertain to your unit. If you don't have the 4 door unit then don't worry about it. The recall was posted on here two days after Norcold announced it. If you have one of these models then follow the instructions in the message. Most of the RV dealers have ordered the retrofit kits and if they haven't then have them call Keystone...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote