Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
texman

M.O.C. #9543
tire wear problem

I have a problem with 1 tire wearing bad on my 2010 montana 5th wheel, 3400RL.
the front tire on door side has extreme wear on the outside of tire, the other 3 tires are ok and show only normal wear.. has anyone had this problem? any help will be appriciated.
Texman

texman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
First, you probably have Goodyear Marathons. Many people have troubles with them. Could be delaminating. If it separates while you are traveling, it can cause a lot of damage to your rig. Replace it ASAP and strongly consider replacing the other 3, regardless of how they look.
Since you have 2010 model, there may still be some kind of warranty help through a dealer. But, I would not put new Marathons back on.
There have been many discussions on this subject and you can search for them on this site. Others will chime in. I had abnormal wear issues with two of my Marathons. I replaced all 4 with BF Goodrich light truck tires, one size larger.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I would have the alignment checked. I wore a tire out between Va. and New Mexico. Had the alignment done and it was way out. After that no more problems.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
texman

M.O.C. #9543
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4Thank you camper 4

First, you probably have Goodyear Marathons. Many people have troubles with them. Could be delaminating. If it separates while you are traveling, it can cause a lot of damage to your rig. Replace it ASAP and strongly consider replacing the other 3, regardless of how they look.
Since you have 2010 model, there may still be some kind of warranty help through a dealer. But, I would not put new Marathons back on.
There have been many discussions on this subject and you can search for them on this site. Others will chime in. I had abnormal wear issues with two of my Marathons. I replaced all 4 with BF Goodrich light truck tires, one size larger.
texman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
you do need check alignment however you are under warranty I had problems w/mine I think the transport people stapped them to tight and took out the bow in the tubing there are a lot of things you need toget checked 1st before you buy tires. I agree get rid of those Marthons I had two blow out and talked to Goodyear who bought back mine ($574) which helped me buy G-614s. Good luck Jack.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I had the same problem and also thought it was an alignment problem. Actually, it was a bad tire (Mission).
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm sure not an expert. I thought an alignment problem would cause similar wear on both tires on the axle. I guess maybe if one wheel hit a big hole or hit a curb hard maybe the axle is bent and affects just the one side.

As Charlie said, it also could just be the tire. I think I'd have the alignment checked and if it's ok then I'd replace the tire.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote