Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Level Up in Off Season?

So, we're getting to the point where we are down to our last trip out until late March.

We're wondering if it makes sense to completely level the RV in the driveway and leave it leveled that way for the off-season? Would it harm the Level Up system to leave it extended and down in place for five months or so?

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
My understanding is the manual says not to, yet if you don't level it and support it completely, you are still using the hydraulic jacks on the front? Makes no sense to me, and I will be eager to figure this out myself for this winter. I guess worst case is not use the hydraulics and block the frame at the front on both sides? My worry would be if you are using them in a way that the manual specifically says not to and they fail and cause damage, will it preclude warranty coverage. The things we have to ponder??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I guess I don't understand the difference between storing your RV for the winter or going somewhere with it for the winter. We wintered in Florida 3 years ago and our level up was used and never retracted until we were ready to leave. After purchasing our Florida house our RV was parked in the driveway, level, w/o any problems.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
We didn't have the level system on our Montana, but the manual for our MH (with hydraulic jacks), says to store it with jacks down. That's what they were designed to do, and it takes lots of the weight off the tires.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
That's what I was just saying to my wife; if somebody is a full timer and has them extended for months on end what is the difference?
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Curious if sub-zero temperatures make any difference? Our sits outdoors in mini-storage through the winter months.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
May I humbly suggest that an occasional moving of the jacks would be good. Also suggest that you wet a cloth with trans fluid and wipe down the shiny legs, especially when they have been exposed to grit or salt or if they feel sticky. This is what helicopter crewmen do to their hyd cylinders. A little maint goes a long ways. Rust and pitting are your greatest enemies. Would not be a bad idea to wipe cylinders down before each retraction. IMHO as a retired Flight Engineer. PS: we do have a full campsite in our yard and we never shut ours down or store it. We have heat on in winter , we might move out at a moments notice. We really enjoy camping more in cooler weather.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
At the Rally the Lippert spokespersons said that the legs should be retracted and the slides moved in and out periodically so that the seals can stay lubricated. Both of mine were out for the six months last year, but this year I intend to move them in and out about once every month of two (Lippert suggested more often than that even). It was also suggested that the rams be wiped down before retracting with something like a dry silicone that won't pick up and hold dirt which is something we already did.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We have to remember that hydraulics lines fail, I don't know what the system looks like, but if one hose leaked, would it lower/raise? all the legs positions, or just that one. You should think of what would happen if all, or one leg retracted, slowly, or all at once.
Plan for the worst, leave that poor rabbit's foot on the kitchen counter and take your chances.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We leave our level up system engaged all the time. However when we stored out rv's for the winter we stored them a bit nose down the rational being that any water /condensation would run down hill in the tanks as would the anti freeze in the tanks therefor minimizing the chance for any freezing. Got that tidbit from really old timer rv'ers. we never had a tank freeze in any way..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote