Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2008, 05:47 AM   #101
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Also on Gm Wheels 2500HD 16x6.6 3500 16x7 you can see they are not the same

kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #102
surfer

M.O.C. #7849
from reading this thread I take it that people are installing extra springs, blocks or air bags to haul or tow more with a 3/4 ton truck, even if the weight exceeds the towing that the truck is built for. I know trucks can tow more than what the rating on the door plate says. But what if the driver of that truck is in a accident? If the truck has exceeded the manufacture rating, then I am thinking that the insurance company and a lawyer would have a field day. I know for I used to be in the insurance field with a major auto insurance company. I think most all rv'ers already know this even some do not heed or think a accident will not happen to them. Not anything wrong improving your truck just be careful that you don't exceed that rating for your truck.
surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #103
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Words of wisdom from someone who may have some experience in the field.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #104
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Words of wisdom from someone who may have some experience in the field.
Rich, if it took reading this thread to figure out folks are towing over the rating of their vehicle...oh well....nuf said.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #105
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by surfer

from reading this thread I take it that people are installing extra springs, blocks or air bags to haul or tow more with a 3/4 ton truck, even if the weight exceeds the towing that the truck is built for. I know trucks can tow more than what the rating on the door plate says. But what if the driver of that truck is in a accident? If the truck has exceeded the manufacture rating, then I am thinking that the insurance company and a lawyer would have a field day. I know for I used to be in the insurance field with a major auto insurance company. I think most all rv'ers already know this even some do not heed or think a accident will not happen to them. Not anything wrong improving your truck just be careful that you don't exceed that rating for your truck.
Welcome to the Forum, Surfer. I see that you are a welder. I'm a Journeyman Pipefitter, are you in production, or a field welder?
Where are you from? What kind of Trailer and TV do you have?
We all come from different walks of life, and have varied experiences. It's interesting.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:38 AM   #106
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is the part I was referring to .. " If the truck has exceeded the manufacture rating, then I am thinking that the insurance company and a lawyer would have a field day. I know for I used to be in the insurance field with a major auto insurance company. I think most all rv'ers already know this even some do not heed or think a accident will not happen to them.""".... Ole Rich says.. This thread has gone way over my level of knowledge or expertise and I can say no more about "the difference" My final thought is that if the manufacturers specifications are just suggestions or recommendations and have no legal or enforcement meaning at all.... well we need a law to make them legal and enforceable..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #107
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Very interesting reading. Did all that research back in 2006. I also paid much attention every time I saw a TV and 5th wheel go by. I decided based on my NEEDS and WANTS that a 3500 was what I needed and wanted. Every time I see a 3/4 ton that needs add ons such as extra spring, air bags or whatever just to stay fairly level and keep weight on the drive wheel to me that simply means not enough truck.
The MOST important to me is having the RIGHT truck be a 3/4 or a 1 ton. I don't really care what the difference is as long as it is the right truck for that 5th wheel.
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:05 AM   #108
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by surfer

.....then I am thinking that the insurance company and a lawyer would have a field day. .........
This has been hashed, rehashed, and trashed many many times. Although no one has ever been able to state a known incident where it occurred (that I know of), there is no doubt the potential is there. Any lawyer worth his salt could have a sympathetic jury crying about how the innocent family was devastated by the uncaring fool with his overloaded rig exceeding manufacture's specifications towing dangerously down the highway. And maybe rightfully so. I would not want to be the one on the witness stand trying to defend myself.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #109
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
First they have to show being over the rating was the cause of or contributed to the accident. Otherwise there is no liability for being over. For private vehicles in the United States the ratings are advisory. They are not legal limits. My insurance company said they would have to pay but likely would then cancel me.

Like Bill said, where's all these accidents? With as many millions of miles having been accumulated under these circumstances, surely there must be a wealth of accident information out there. Where is it?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #110
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Here We Go Again, Now if the extra springs have louvers may be the airflow would help in the suspension affect. No disrespect intended but 11 pages and what has been acomplished? The original question was what was the difference in Chevy 3500 and 2500 suspensions and we have spent more time on fords and what others think of choices others have made. We might as well go back to talking about louvered leafspings. At what point is the horse dead.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #111
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Right about now.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #112
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My final words on this are: Urban Legend