Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #1
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Have a question about washer/dryers

Have heard people talk about stack units that are being bought at Sears. The search that I did found 240 volt dryers. Will a new Monty w/50 amp service carry that load. Does anyone know specific brands or models. Are the combo units better.
Thanks in advance for your info.
Michael& Diana

Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
You have to get a 110 unit. Sears can get them for you. Your Monty won't handle a 240. There are several different brands out there for 5th wheels. I would recommend either the whirlpool stack units or the Kenmore.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:13 AM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I have the Majestic. Washer on the bottom and Dryer on the top. I LOVE IT. You can't do the loads that you can at home but what I do is usually do a load about every 2 days. That is just about what it will wash/dry. We just had it installed because we didn't want the hassle. Our dealer did it for us. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Michael and Diana
Again this is personal preference. We looked at the stacked units - you look for "apartment size". Then we decided on the combo. We love it and did not loose all the storage area in that closet. It does small loads but then there is just the two of us and it does fine for us. You put the load in and forget about it until it is done. Plus the company has been really good to help us with any problem. When we bought our unit, the water temperature knob was loose, they sent us a new one and then walked us through how to put it on. Check Dianncolin's post with their pictures. Ours is the same.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we just bought ours from camping world...no problems with it though.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #6
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Hi Michael and Diana - my Diana went for the combo unit. We had 4 adults and 2 little ones for 2 weeks at Ft Wilderness and it kept up just fine. If you look at the improvements forum you can see the link to our pictures of the install

DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have not bought our Montana yet, we are still looking at floor plans. Our dealer actually tried to talk us OUT of a washer/dryer, even though the Montys we were interested in were prepped. He said you could use the space better for storage. He says most campgrounds we would be at have washers and dryers anyway (I'm sure they are coin, even though I didn't pursue it with him at that point). Now, I know... "It's a matter of preference". Which it is. However, other than that comment, are there any others?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:29 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I love these dealers and their comments. Guy has probably never used an RV. While some campgrounds do have w/d, yes they are coin operated and sometimes not so clean. They are also crowded. Many also do not have all the choices in water temperature, speed etc., that your own unit will have. We added up the money we were spending at laundermats and figured we would pay for the w/d in less than 2 years. When you have your own you can even start a load while you are still in your jammies or even at midnight LOL.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #9
Montana_3956
Established Member

M.O.C. #3956
All washers & dryers will work on 110 Volts. All you need to do is check the schematic for wiring changes. Even with a home dryer the ONLY thing that uses 220 Volts is the element. It just takes longer to dry on 110 Volts. I've repaired hundreds of them.
Montana_3956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 04:47 AM   #10
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Parrothead; You are so right about the campground laundrymats. When we stayed in Colorado Springs, we stayed at Falcon Meadows. YUCK! We had alot of laundry and I just wanted to get it done all at once. So I went to their laundry. They had 3 washers which weren't that bad (not good, but not bad) but their dryers were gross. They cost 50 cents for 10 min. That meant that I had to keep putting in money and stay right there. They said to take the lint out for faster drying. THERE WAS NO LINT COMPARTMENT! Never did get them dry. Ended up taking them to the trailer and drying them there. You never know what you are going to get with the campground facilities. BEWARE! Better yet just get your own units.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:32 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I suppose that if you are a full timer or a very long timer the washer/dryer makes sense. On our recent one month on the road we noted that the average cost was 1.25 washer load and 1.25 dryer load. for 2.50 per laundry day.That was always enough for the two of us.We did that 3 times while on the road for a total cost of 7.50.We will have the new RV washer and dryer ready but not installed.If we find that we would rather have them we will buy and install. You do take your chances at campground laundys..We have seen nice ones and real bad ones..On the average they are good.To us it is the convenience factor of having one in the RV. You can spend several hours waiting for the units and doing the laundry at a campground laundry.. The camper units ARE small and slow..but..you can be doing other things while the laundry is going..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:16 AM   #12
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
What sorts of prices are all of you paying for your WD units??
I am pretty convinced after only two weeks of running to the Laudromat, that I will be having my own in my unit... just want to know if there is a better price/unit than the little kenmore I am looking at.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:35 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We would not be without our washer and dryer. We have done laundromats and have sworn never again. That, of course, is our personal opinion. Some people like the social time and/or prefer to have the storage space.

I think Richfaa's comment is very relevant. If we were not fulltiming or longtiming and were weekending/vacationing we probably would not have the w/d.

Mel, ours were purchased and installed by Naylor's RV at delivery back in July, 2003. We paid about $1100 total, including installation and tax.

I probably should note that we can run the washer, the dryer, and the AC all at the same time on a 30 amp connection but turn on the microwave, iron, toaster, or coffee pot and we'll pop a breaker. So three of the high draw items at one time is the limit on a 30 amp connection, for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
With our Kenmore stack unit, we can wash and dry at same time. I can get 3 pairs of jeans and 3 shirts in the washer. Also on another load, sheets top and bottom plus pillow cases. It doesn't take that long to dry either. Less than an hour.
I wouldn't trade ours for a campground laundry. No way. I don't like taking a bunch of dirty laundry home when we are out for a week or two. Don't need to take so much clothing on trip either. No one knows what was in those campground washers and dryers!
We paid around a $1100 installed. My husband had to put an outlet in the basement so we could wash and dry at same time. Very easy to do, he says. He also bypassed the switch on the washer that would only let us wash or dry at one time. Also put a cord on washer and dropped the cord down to the basement and plugged it in to new outlet. Works wonderfully. (this unit shared one cord before this)
With the Whirlpool you wouldn't have to do all this extra wiring. And they work good too.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #15
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We didn't even consider the cost of our combo unit as a cost savings, it would probably take a long time to save enough to pay for it. We got one for the convenience. It's right there when we need it. No driving around looking for a laundromat, no filthy machines.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good information here on the W/D.We were never out long enough to warrant one, weekends/long weekends, week or 10 days,This last trip was the longest we have ever been on the road..1 month and we had to use the laundromat 3 times. We are no fans of Laundromats. My guess is that when we start snowbirding we will get the W/D.It is worth the convenience..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:35 AM   #17
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Hey Steve, You may want to contact Kevin direct at vagabondinamonty@yahoo.com and discuss the wiring thing.. he is an electrician, and will understand what you are all discussing about switches, plugs, wires and such... I don't Hablar...
Is the 27" wide stack I looked at at Sears yesterday going to fit in the closet?? They have a pretty big capacity with all sorts of bells and whistles for $869 right now... (bout $100 savings).. Who installs, the trailer place?
8.1... I have spent two good chunks of time in our local laundry baking my fat.. and waiting for the hot or cold only cycle to run.. it has cost me over $8 + each time.. and that is with no drying..
Drying was an additional $3..
with my time included, I think the outlay for the WD will be mroe than justified...
Plus.. I doubt I can get Kevin to go in a Laundromat... If I wash at "home" he gets to help....
Old 08-11-2005, 06:29 AM   #18
Montana_3577
Established Member

M.O.C. #3577
Hey Ranger,
Not sure how your Washer enclosure differs from mine, but the 27 would not fit in mine. Had to go with the 24. But other than that love the decision to put in the W/D. We did the Sears stack 115 volt model. Drying takes a little while but better than humping to the campground machines.

Montana_3577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:50 AM   #19
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Yeah, we just got word back from the salesman, that the hole is only about 23... So I'm thinking the bitty little ma-cheen that I saw down at the Town East Mall will be the unit of choice.. I will assume that it is 110 rather than 220...
(It will also weigh a lot less than that other one)
We go to Mitchell to pick up our Monty TOMORROW!!!!!!