Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Morse Code and Train Whistle

This is Ed.
We heard this story that ships carrying the Queen would do 2 longs and a short and 2 longs to announce the Queen. And trains use this code which is Q in Morse to announce the train at crossings. Anyone know if this story is true?

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is true.... In the United States and in countries following U.S. practices, a locomotive must have a bright headlight and ditch lights (short-throw bright lights located below the headlight), a working bell, and a whistle or horn that must be sounded four times (long-long-short-long, or the letter Q in Morse code) as the train approaches the crossing........
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
When the US Army taught me Morse Code they used "Pay-Day-To-Day" for us to remember "Q", long-long-short-long. That is also the sound we hear all night at the Goshen Fairgrounds at the fall rally, where the tracks cross the road right near the campground.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Thanks guys. You are both right, we made a mistake in the post, it is 2 longs, 1 short, 1 long. However, we have heard trains that just do 2 longs so we were curious. Great info for trivia, huh?
Happy trails.........................
Old 11-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
The last LONG blast must be done thru the crossins. If the timing is off then you may get a little extra. Also if the engineer feels the need for a blast at any time he does it.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Here is a starting point for Train Whistles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_whistle#Whistle_code

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Sue,

Yep, I remember 2 longs, 1 short, 1 long blast from ED's truck horn when you arrived at the Lake Siskiyou rally.

We all knew right away...here comes da Queen.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
The last few years we have a new one that we use when going through maintainence gangs. Had to many times use the series of short whistles to get the attention of someone walking on the track not paying attention.

New-Two Short while moving = Train protecting Maintainance crews
Series of short Whistles = Emergency Situation usually before we hit someone.

Many times the air test signals are not used any more because of radios and as far as the crossings go we have to blow it between 14 and 20 seconds regardless of the time of day because of the lawsuits the last few years. It is a fireable offense if we do not blow the crossings this way now.

Two longs are an indication the train is going to start to move when stopped.

Just wish I didn't have to do it tonight at 2 in the morning.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I used to like trains, used to like them alot, and would go out of my way just to get close to one. Now it's a different story. My shop is at a crossing on US 84 with three tracks, that carry approximately 130 trains in any given 24 hour period. I know the horns are necessary, and I know it is a firing offense if they are not blown the full amount of time required, but I go home every night with train horns ringing in my ears. I still like trains, but the horns could all fall off, and it wouldn't bother me at all .

I almost forgot the original post. Now that you mention it Ed, that IS the pattern I hear so many times a day. WHOOOOOO WHOOOOOO WHO WHOOOOOO, or sometimes WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
To those of you who hate that sound....Sorry but the engineer who fails to blow at the crossings may get a personal fine of 40,000. I know I can't afford that so I will keep making noise....Mike
RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:28 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I drive a school bus. I cross many tracks every day using the school bus RR procedure and you can not beleive how many times I have seen folks not only run my hazards when I am stopping at a RR but run the lights and gate.They have got to blow those horns to protect themselves against idiots who would sue if they are hit by a train..or should I say next of kin who would sue.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:36 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
We love that sound!
Happy trails.................
Old 11-10-2007, 04:16 AM   #13
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I love the sound of the steam whistles.................in the mountains, early in the morning.........over coffee .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote