Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Window awnings, what say you???

After reading the "Slide toppers - friend or foe?" thread I have arrived at the decision that I do want the Slide Toppers.

Next question is "What are the pros and cons of window awnings"? AND do I get the awnings that are attached to the Slide Toppers or those that are separate from the toppers or do I forget the awnings and save the bucks.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Glenn,

As much time as you spend in Florida, I would think you would like the awnings. We don't have them, and probably won't get any for a while, but our longtiming has not yet subjected us to what we consider to be conditions that require them. But, I think you would find them very useful.

No idea bout the all in one or seperate. I think my choice would be the seperate, then you don't have to use them if you don't want.

Those toppers that Brad is looking at sound very interesting, I would look very hard at those if I had not ordered yet.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Can't answer your question, Glenn, but the windows are very deeply tinted...it's almost impossible to see inside when standing outside, even very close to the glass. They did very well during our long hot summer...but no doubt the awnings would provide even more cooling by keeping the sun totally off the glass.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
On my last motorcoach, I actually got 2 free A&E window awngings from CW when I bought my regular awning. They were a great feature, especially given the cost.

The only downside to the standard window awning is they are fixed positions and can block some of the view. The electrics overcome this, as they can be lowered to any height.

Providing I can do without the slide awnings altogether, I'll probably install the A&E simple electric window awnings on the superslide and replace the regular awning with a matching A&E electric (non-automatic) like the Big Sky will have. If I go with the Carefree slide topper/window awning on the superslide, I'll replace with main awning with a matching fabric Carefree electric. Then again, I may do NOTHING .

At least on the 3400, I don't think I'll do anything with the other windows.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I got the window awnings. Our Big sky had two on the living room - dinning room slide and one on the rear window. The new rear cap and placement of the windows on our 3295 prevented rear window awnings. There is only 3 inches clearance between the window and the rolled edge of the rear cap and the awanings need four inches for the foot of the support arm. We had the third awning put over the kitchen slide window which is not protected by the big awning.
I like them and they do help shield the sun. They also impede direct view through the window.
I had them and got them again.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I had them on our '82 Kountry Aire 5th wheel. They are nice.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Glenn, I would check the price of those neat combination Topper- awnings that Brad posted. They may be the best and cheapest way to go. They are on my wish list.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I will be getting them on either this coach or my next coach. I was going to get them last year, but life threw me a curve ball. I am getting the A&E awning that attaches and covers the window, not the slide top. A&E is the brand of awning of the patio awning and I would like my window awnings to match that. Carefree of Colorado makes a very nice rear window shade, was going to get one of them as well. I say go for it Glenn, between the privacy and shade they provide, I think you will be happy you did.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #9
Jaelyn
Established Member

M.O.C. #619
Glen,
I have the A&E awnings on my Montana. They help with heat,provide privacy,and I can leave my small slide windows open for air when it is raining.The only drawback is they do cut down on the view.I have a large one that covers my dining area window and livingroom window.I would recomend two hold down straps instead of one in the center, for better stablity and wind safety. Either awning mentioned would be a great addition to your Montana.If you watch A&E awnings are often on sale at Camping World with free instalation.
Tom
Jaelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:29 AM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I added to our 2955 (3) windoe awnings would not be without add shade and keeps unit cool. You being in Florida I would think would be a necessity!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:14 AM   #11
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
We had them on our motor coach all the way around, Nancy really liked them, but the windows werent very tinted an the glare is kinda hard on her eyes, but on the down side , like Brad an Dory stated they are mostly in a fixed position, and cuts out a lot of the view. Our monty has good tinted windows which really cuts down on the bright sun glare, which Nancy loves, so I doubt if I will get the awnings for this monty. but they do keep your windows cleaner while parked.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:24 AM   #12
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Hi Glenn,
Had them on the Outback but it had single pain windows. Do not have them on the Monti. The DP windows are tinted enought to keep things cool. However; they are on my wish list. Go for them and have them put on the order.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Has anyone done any price comparisions between the combined topper/awnings vs. buying the OEM toppers from Montana and just adding one or two aftermarket window awnings?

I was advised by Montana that you had to order all or none of the toppers from them--you couldn't just order OEM toppers for a couple of slides (e.g., the bedroom and kitchen slides in the 3400, which wouldn't benefit from a combined topper/awning) and then get combined topper/awnings from Carefree of Colorado for the other slides. So going with the combination topper/awnings when purchasing a new rig means foregoing the OEM toppers altogether and buying everything from Carefree, thus losing whatever discount from MSRP one can otherwise negotiate when buying options on a new Monty.

Does Carefree give comparable discounts from MSRP to make them price competitive with the 30% discounts we can negotiate on options with Monty dealers?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #14
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Has anyone done any price comparisions between the combined topper/awnings vs. buying the OEM toppers from Montana and just adding one or two aftermarket window awnings?

I was advised by Montana that you had to order all or none of the toppers from them--you couldn't just order OEM toppers for a couple of slides (e.g., the bedroom and kitchen slides in the 3400, which wouldn't benefit from a combined topper/awning) and then get combined topper/awnings from Carefree of Colorado for the other slides. So going with the combination topper/awnings when purchasing a new rig means foregoing the OEM toppers altogether and buying everything from Carefree, thus losing whatever discount from MSRP one can otherwise negotiate when buying options on a new Monty.

Does Carefree give comparable discounts from MSRP to make them price competitive with the 30% discounts we can negotiate on options with Monty dealers?
Old 12-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I have never had the window awnings, but think they would be a great asset to help keep the coach cooler. However, I do like my view and do not want it hindered. I am glad Glenn asked this question because it was something we had been discussing and considering as an addition. I will keep watching for now.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David,

Both Carefree and A&E are aftermarket products and control thier own market prices and sales. Your perceived 30% discount on MSRP is not proportional to each option on your Montana I assure you. Rather it is based on the total markup between Dealer invoice and selling price to you. Most likely the options contribute very little in the discount overall.

A Carefree Omega II, (topper and window awning attached to slide) is listed at $833 17' based on vinyl. A Carefree Guardi-Awn (topper and window awning that retracts without slide retract) is listed at $678 17' based on vinyl. Not sure what the A&E is running as they are dropping the 8500 line altogher this month in favor of a new 8500 Plus line and prices haven't been published yet. They do make a similar product to Carefree that includes a topper/window combination, so it's most likely all relative. I believe A&E is generally cheaper than Carefree when comparing apples to apples.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #17
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022

Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #18
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
They came with my used 2002 Monty purchase... I thought it was odd no slide toppers but has window awnings, seemed to help on hot days when boon docking. Agree with Brad, cuts down on view from inside RV....at night reduces "fish bowl" feeling when boon docking and trying to keep air flow.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We got the window awnings (A&E) on the big windows on the living room slide. It seems to make a big difference in keeping things cool inside when that is the sun side in the summer. It also cuts down on any sun glare. This only helps when the sun is on that side, of course.

We also got the rollup awning, in white, on the large rear window. We really like that shade. Not only does it cut glare and heat from the sun through that window, but we can see out and nobody can see in, in daytime. It's funny to see people stop and look at our rig and that shade, not knowing we're standing there watching them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #20
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We bought the carefree window awning with full view for the dinning room it has some huge windows we can still see thru the screen like fabric so far we have liked it, we sit with the side facing the west and the sun bakes us as it go's down this keeps the heat out.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote