Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Auto Level

After retracting the levelers I noticed that the rear passenger side leveler did not retract all the way back up. Nothing major as it rose high enough so it will not catch on anything, but the just the same, how do I get it to retract all the way up like the other jacks?

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:37 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We occasionally have the same problem. Use manual mode, retract, rear.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:41 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I've started noticing that on mine too. I think it is related to the cold weather and the 50 amp breaker. I have an 80 amp replacement sitting at the S&B to replace my 50 amp. As said, manual mode will raise it for me at least. I also sometimes will use the "retract all" option once hooked up to the truck before I do my walk around. If they are all fully retracted, it doesn't do anything. Makes it easier to tell from the ODS side before I walk around.
I've also noticed it takes a few presses to get the two hydraulic slides to move. I thought it was the switch at first, but now I'm thinking it's the 50 amp breaker and cold weather causing that too. At least I hope so, since that's the easy fix.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
When I'm retracting my level-ups, I've learn to listen to the sound they make when retracting and the sound of the hydraulic pump or motor. When all jacks are up you hear a different sound coming from the pump or motor. I do go around and check all jacks prior to locking the control door just in case however.
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
most likely cause of your rear level not fully retracting is air in the system OR that cylinder is bypassing internally.. Id cycle the leveler system 3 or 4 times extend/Retract pausing a bit after each cycle to let pump motor cool down

IF problem persists there is an easy way to check if you have a Hyd level up leg that's bypassing.. the mid/Rear leveler legs are operated in tandem with hyd fluid pressure...

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001910.pdf
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Before retracting the legs, I use a dust brush on each one and have applied dry lubricant. Seems to help and retract much easier and quicker.

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
While at the 2019 Montana Owners Club National Fall Rally in Goshen, IN, I was talking to some of the Lippert/LCI reps there for their session and asked them what to do before retracting the level-up rams. They told me to take a rag and put some hydraulic fluid on it and wipe each ram down. This will get any dirt/debri off the rams and let them slide up much easier. I do this each time before leaving any site unless it is an single overnight stay at a campground. I told them I used spray on silicone and they told me to stop using it because it damages the gaskets in the rams.
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:07 AM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Raise the jack in manual mode and see what happens. The automatic controls on these systems are not reliable.

As far as cleaning the cylinder rods, clean is good but will not affect the ease in which they operate. They are hydraulic cylinders capable of exerting thousands of pounds of pressure in each direction. Leaving oily residue on the shafts will attract dirt and cause problems.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been using auto lever at least 95 % of the time on both Of our Montana's since 2006 for us the auto level has been reliable and trouble free. We do keep the cylinder rods clean by wiping them with a damp rag lightly lubricated. We do pretty much what Rondo does since we have been to the same rallies and got advise from the same experts. We have no experience operating the hydraulics in cold weather since we do not do cold weather.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #10
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
I'm with Daryles and E Rod...occasionally you will just need to "help" them back up in manual retract...
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:39 PM   #11
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
I have the electric jacks on my High County and had the same problem with jacks not fully retracting automatically. To fix it, while hooked up to the tow vehicle, first extend all jacks at least 7 inches. Then hit auto retract. This re-homes all the jacks.

What causes them to loose home is manually moving any jack when the control says READY. The jacks will operate manually in the READY mode. Always go to manual mode before manually moving the jacks.

Since I learned this, it's never happened again.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:12 PM   #12
Chewylv

M.O.C. #27879
Hello, I have been having the same issue but with the two front jacks.. When I retract them manually they will sometimes drop about 4". I then have to retract them two or three more times.. Does anyone know what is causing this issue? The strange thing is, its not all the time...
Chewylv is offline   Reply With Quote