Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #41
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
You're not alone out there. There are hundreds of thousands of 3/4 ton trucks that have been modified in hopes that they can safely pull their heavy trailers but they're still 3/4 ton trucks with the same cargo carrying capacity they were before they started.

All we're really talking about is the amount of squat your truck receives when it's loaded up.

I also get the fact but a lot of these folks either don't want to Pony up the money for another truck or they simply do not have the funds to do that. So they try and make the best of what they have. I get it but that doesn't make it right
As said this subject has been beat to death , I know the older 3/4 ton ,and 1 tons were about identical ,brakes ,frames etc, all but the suspension. Add some leafs ,and airbags ,and away you go. But you still got a 3/4 ton.

No idea on the newer trucks ,what the differences are ,but you are correct, if possible just get the right truck for the task, or a lighter RV.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #42
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
One of the numerous subjects that has neen beaten to death.

The main ones seem to be 3/4 ton versus 1 ton versus dually.
ST tires vs. LT vs. E Rated vs. G-rated
And then there's the great hitch debate
Then you go into axles leaf springs independent suspension pin boxes blah blah blah

And the bad part is it's never going to end. Lol
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #43
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
I did in fact Google it and read multiple articles. And it did state that some larger heavier vehicles are sometimes recertified. But almost all of the article stated that a pickups payload capacity will never change no matter what you do to it.
This is true, but doesn't make it illegal if you have certified modifications. These are all ratings. There is some safe variance built into these ratings but doesn’t mean you are safe to excessively over load, and that would be the issue. The axle ratings and tires are more critical than GVWR. That is why the DOT required the modifier to list the tires on the vehicle modification sticker. Manufactures typically rate their axles lower than what the axle manufacturer has rated them for safety and liability reasons. My GAWR rear is 7200 lbs. My pin weight is 2820 as weighed by the dealer. That gives me 4380 lbs. wiggle, and not all that weight goes to the rear axle, some goes to the front, don't know how much. Trip to the scales will tell me how much. Of course that 4380 lbs doesn’t include the axle weight as it sits on the truck but i know its not 4300 pounds. Trip to the scales is in the plans, fully loaded.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #44
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Yes it's nice to know what you weigh. Try to load it as a worst-case scenario everything you can think of in it for like a month-long trip or something. That works out good you know anything less will be good also.

I have actually been over my Duallys CCC of your times. Only by a few hundred lb with an entire truck bed full of oak fire wood
Old 08-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #45
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
You're not alone out there. There are hundreds of thousands of 3/4 ton trucks that have been modified in hopes that they can safely pull their heavy trailers but they're still 3/4 ton trucks with the same cargo carrying capacity they were before they started.

All we're really talking about is the amount of squat your truck receives when it's loaded up.

I also get the fact but a lot of these folks either don't want to Pony up the money for another truck or they simply do not have the funds to do that. So they try and make the best of what they have. I get it but that doesn't make it right
If folks do the mods correctly, and don't exceed their axle limits, I don’t see a problem or safety issue. Thats why I had my mods done to DOT regs. Obviously, DOT doesn’t have a problem with mods either as long as they are done correctly, and why they have regulations regarding the mods. This is also why they require a door sticker (certification) documenting the mods. All mods accommodate my weight and safety requirements.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #46
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
If folks do the mods correctly, and don't exceed their axle limits, I don’t see a problem or safety issue. Thats why I had my mods done to DOT regs. Obviously, DOT doesn’t have a problem with mods either as long as they are done correctly, and why they have regulations regarding the mods. This is also why they require a door sticker (certification) documenting the mods. All mods accommodate my weight and safety requirements.
This is the section that applies to certified modifiers.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/567.7

You can view the entire document with a search of 49 CFR part 567 (certification).
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #47
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
This is the section that applies to certified modifiers.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/567.7

You can view the entire document with a search of 49 CFR part 567 (certification).
Thanks for your post!!!! I have been trying to find these regs again. Been driving me crazy! Problem is finding a shop that is certified to certify the modifications they do. Lol, does that make sense? This is what you show the cops when they try to say you are over weight when , with the mods, you are not. Of course, it’s a loaded trip to the scales to make sure you are not, ahead of time.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:37 PM   #48
Rcerne
Established Member

M.O.C. #17861
asking for trouble

G rated is what that rig calls for. Endurance tires at E rating your asking for trouble. As far as adding a laf to your rig and thinking it's as good as a one ton there's more to it than that. Good luck on your travels and make sure your up to date on your roadside assistance plan!
Rcerne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #49
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I've seen the same regulations online. I had a 2008 2500 (no DEF) and did the research, everything said it can be done legally and will keep you safe form DOT, cops and weigh stations is checked. On the other hand ask a lawyer and he/she will tell you they can easily beat it in court if an accident happened.

That being said, driving like a sane person and taking care of anything that is out of your control that can cause an accident (tires, suspension and weight come to mind), the chances of anything ever happening are very slim.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #50
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
Rookie Rich here..2013 Monte 2013 2980 RL super clean with 32 states label....wall paper not a scratch, flooring no tears, headliner perfect, appliance all great, 2001 F250 truck. dryweight 10,145. w/ 235-80-16 with 4 "E" rated Goodyears. All you guys seem out of my league.....starting slow...retire in '21. short trips this year and tires (current subject, but don't let that stop your experoenced opinions) all are next to new...what's ya got for me....LAZZ
Rich Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:03 PM   #51
Greyghost
Established Member

M.O.C. #25099
Goodyear Endurance tires sound good for a "lighter" trailer, but not with the specifications mentioned. Personally, when I bought new tires for my 3791rd they were the Goodyear G614, not the lauded Saliuns. They performed well, just recently, from Myrtle Beach SC to Tucson AZ. To each his own.
Greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #52
XGBOY
Established Member

M.O.C. #9627
Goodyear Endurance

For what it is worth, the following has been my experience with tires on my first Monti, a 2010 model and my current Monti, a 2016 model. The OE tires which came on the 2010 and the 2015 were crap. I had three tire separations, two with extensive damage to the wheel fairings, and one blow out with the 2010. A fellow Texican camped next to me in Santa Fe, NM told me he had similar problems with OE tires from Keystone. He found a tire which solved those problems. It is the Good Year G614 RST Uni Steel, Lt 235/85 R16, G Load Range, with 4 plies of steel cord in the tread and 1 ply of steel cord in the side walls. I installed the Good Years on my 2010 and never had another problem. I bought a new 2016 Monti, and the day after I got it home I took it to Discount Tire and had the OE tires replaced with the Good Years described above. I have not had a problem, with the exception of picking up a nail that my tire monitor system caught before the tire was ruined, with my 2016. My Bride and I travel about six times a year. Good luck, and keep it between the fences.

Roger
XGBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #53
JRogers
Established Member

M.O.C. #22215
Quote:
Exactly what Carl & Dick said. That camper is WAY to heavy for those tires. I suspect you will continue to have tire issues. If I was you, I would cut my looses and replace them with the Sailun s637 0r Goodyear G614 ASAP. You can resell your endurance tires easily on craigslist.

Make sure your rims are rated for 110 psi air pressure.!!!!

OMG

the 614's will only give him 3750 and are lt tires, he's got 3420 with the endurance.

The endurance ST255/85R16 would give him 4,080.

3420 x 2 = 6840. so he is 160lbs under the max 7,000 axles.

I am sure the dealer did not sell him tires that carried less than the tires originally on the rig.
JRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #54
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRogers View Post
OMG

the 614's will only give him 3750 and are lt tires, he's got 3420 with the endurance.

I am sure the dealer did not sell him tires that carried less than the tires originally on the rig.
Well you have two choices you can either listen to the seasoned Montana owners on this thread and many others about tires and either get the Saoluns or the good years or you can roll the dice and choose any other Tire you want. Just saying.

And if you believe a dealer wouldn't sell you an incorrect product for its application you better think again. They could care less they would let you drive out of that dealership with any camper you want as long as it would hook to your truck..
Old 08-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #55
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Some people just deserve a good pair of Marathons.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #56
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcerne View Post
G rated is what that rig calls for. Endurance tires at E rating your asking for trouble. As far as adding a laf to your rig and thinking it's as good as a one ton there's more to it than that. Good luck on your travels and make sure your up to date on your roadside assistance plan!
Just Info: Goodyear Endurance designated size ST255/85R16 LRE provides 4080# of load capacity at 80 PSI.

Height may cause clearance problems.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #57
Clark Anklam
Established Member

M.O.C. #23192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Let's see what "more than adequate" means. The Goodyear Endurance ST235/80/R16 is an E1 (10 ply) tire with a Load Index of 3417 and weighs 40 lbs. To start, the axles are 7000 lbs and your tires only can carry 6834 lbs. That doesn't meet the basic standard much less any 10% reserve capacity.

The preferred tire for a Montana is a Sailun 637 . They are G range tires (14 ply), weigh over 60 lbs. (much mare material to them) and carry a load of 4000 lbs each.

There is no way a GY Endurance tire belongs on a Montana.
I have to agree with you on that one! I have Contender Premiums on my 3610, 110 psi, load range G, 14 ply. I blew out 2 Goodyears in one day!
Clark Anklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #58
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRogers View Post
OMG

There is not a Goodyear tire that belongs in this conversation. You mention the Endurance ST 255/85/16 , to start they don't fit the wheels that come on the Montana's ,even if the clearance would work. So again ,we need to leave the Goodyear tires especially the Endurance out of the conversation .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #59
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Since no later than 2017 M HC came with LR F Rainier tiers. Not enough and not a great tire. I’d not consider any GY tire as the company cannot be trusted. Marathon is just on example. Everything I’ve read to get a real recertification the cost is more than the difference in a new truck with trade would be. The charge has a bit to do with the liability. Anyone can print a new sticker, hate to try to take that to court.
OP, no one here was “snide”, you said you came for advice but had already made a bad IMO decision.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #60
GeorgeP.
Established Member

M.O.C. #21730
After reading all the comments, no one has mentioned that LT stands for Light Truck and ST stands for specialty Trailer the side walls are different with flex ST tires are designed to be stiff when doing tight turns and less sway side to side using a LT tire you could blow the bead off the rim or destroy the belting in the side wall. LT were not ever designed for heavy trailer use and any tire store that tells you different is just going for the sale.
GeorgeP. is offline   Reply With Quote