Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2005, 03:06 AM   #1
Montana_4025

M.O.C. #4025

I just joined this website. We currently have a 2004 Trail-Bay 31' TT, but are shopping for a 5th wheel. We're very impressed with the Montana, but due to the lower price are considering the Mountaineer. From what I've seen, it appears the Mountaineer is built the same as the Montana, but lacks many of the amenities--is that correct? This is a great site and I look forward to visiting often.

Montana_4025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:46 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi Superduty, welcome aboard! You came to the right place to ask questions. There are a lot of very helpful people here, so don't be afraid to ask anything you wonder about.

I don't have the detailed build information to say beyond doubt but from what I've seen I think your thoughts are probably pretty much on target. The build quality seems to be about the same as the Montana.

One thing you might find interesting. There used to be a Big Sky Montana version that was an upgrade package. The upgrades were all cosmetic (but very nice) rather than construction as far as I could tell. Over time the Montana has taken on many of those Big Sky attributes to the point the Big Sky is no more. During that same period the Mountaineer has gained what the Montana had before. We were told by a Keystone exec at the Tampa RV Show that the Mountaineer is now what the Montana was just two or three years ago. That leads me to believe you are correct in your thinking. Maybe others will jump in with their opinions, some probably more knowledgeable than mine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:07 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the MOC Forum. Lots of info to be had here, but I claim no knowledge in the area of your question. I do like the Montana I have. I bought a one year-old, previously enjoyed Big Sky for considerably less than a new Montana. We have enjoyed spending part of the difference in some very nice upgrades. Just an additional way of thinking.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:33 AM   #4
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to the forum. Not familiar with the specifics of the Mountaineer, but just from casual observance at shows and dealerships they are very much like the Montana. Good luck in your search for a unit that is just right for you - looking and deciding is all part of the Montana/Mountaineer adventure.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Although I do own a 2955RL Montana I have recently taken a bit of interest in the Mountaineer. In particular the 319BHS bunk bed model. In researching the Mountaineer I have found very little difference in today's 2005/2006 Mountaineer and my 2004 Montana. In fact the 2005/6 Mountaineer does have some standard and optional items that were not available in my 2004 2955RL.
In my opinion today's 2006 Mountaineer is everything and more than the 2004 Montana was and who knows someday the Mountaineer may do the same to the Montana as the Montana did to the Big Sky.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Superduty - I am one of the forum members that has had both models of trailers in the Keystone family. I started with the Mountaineer just to be sure the wife would truly enjoy the element of RVing. I had in the past, but it was new to her. It did not take her long to see that she wanted a 5er and in particular the unit we now own. The Mountaineer we owned was a 335RLBS; a great unit, never a problem in the two years we used it. But I will say there are some things that the Montana lines has that may not be available in the Mountaineer line. Of course, the way the company is alwasy changing things around, that may not be a fair statement. At any rate, I am sure you will be very happy with whatever your pocket book can stand. They are both great units and value for the price.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote