Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Tire Covers

Pre-planning for our next trip to our farm in the N.Y. Catskills in which we'll be there from mid-May to mid-October, and have a question regarding tire covers. While not expensive, $30-$50, are they worth the cost? Seems like a gimmick to spend money, IMHO, as we don't buy covers for our truck tires, do we? Your opinions are most valued

wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
I definitely use them for winter storage, for Spring/Summer/Fall I use a tire dressing on the tires about every 2-3 weeks. We have slides that when out protect the tires from the sun so not a big deal to us, but a spray of tire dressing will help prolong sidewall life. It was a much bigger deal on our Class A as the replacement cost on those tires was big $$$$. That is where I got in the habit of dressing the RV tires
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Stix
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25024
A $5 tarp accomplishes the same thing.
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We used them on the old rig, but the new rig has bigger slides and since we will change the tires at 5 years anyway we don't use them on the new one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We cover the tires if parked for more than a week.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:34 AM   #6
Frank64
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24370
I think tire covers are the way to go. As stated above not that expensive, not to hard to put on, prolongs the life of very expensive tires, and doesn’t take up much space when not in use.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:35 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Simple and easy to use for storage in South Texas. We have lots of SUN with UV. Even though I replace tires about every 3 years--I still think the covers are too easy to install and get some protection. In the summer travel season--not so much because the RV park in Colorado where we spend about 10 weeks in virtually all shade.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Magne Shade are the neatest covers around. They are held on by permanently attached bungee cords and are open in the center show the wheels are still visable:

http://magneshade.com/
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t pay them on my truck so why would I put them on my camper?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If your fifth wheel sits often then the tire covers are worth every penny to lessen the effect of UV damage to the tires...

My truck doesn’t have tire covers. But it doesn’t sit for several months at a time between trips.

UV is the biggest contributor to tire degradation over a period of time.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #11
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I use tire covers on the RV over the winter and spin the tires every 2 months. The truck is in the garage most of the time and I use tire dressing on all my vehicles after washing.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #12
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Tire Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I don’t pay them on my truck so why would I put them on my camper?
Lynwood
I seriously doubt tire covers serve any purpose. Anyone running any tires longer than five years is really taking a chance on the highway. Five years on my RV is my change out point because the tires are loaded so close to their load limits as well as I exceed their designed speed limit. My RV is housed fully indoors except when it is on the road but I don't expect that to extend the life of my tires.

I own a trucking company and we don't run tires over six years on our eighteen wheelers because we know they will self destruct and tear up hell and half of Georgia and cause unneeded downtime for repairs. Not to mention the risk to other motorists and the mess left down the highways. Our testing has shown six years to be a reach but it works because we don't run fast or overloaded and any tire showing damage comes off much sooner than that. Steer tires would not be run that long but they come off based on wear not time in place.

I know the wheel cover folks will disagree with me and they are welcome to do so. As Lynwood says we don't cover our pickup tires.
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosssmith View Post
I seriously doubt tire covers serve any purpose. Anyone running any tires longer than five years is really taking a chance on the highway. Five years on my RV is my change out point because the tires are loaded so close to their load limits as well as I exceed their designed speed limit. My RV is housed fully indoors except when it is on the road but I don't expect that to extend the life of my tires.

I own a trucking company and we don't run tires over six years on our eighteen wheelers because we know they will self destruct and tear up hell and half of Georgia and cause unneeded downtime for repairs. Not to mention the risk to other motorists and the mess left down the highways. Our testing has shown six years to be a reach but it works because we don't run fast or overloaded and any tire showing damage comes off much sooner than that. Steer tires would not be run that long but they come off based on wear not time in place.

I know the wheel cover folks will disagree with me and they are welcome to do so. As Lynwood says we don't cover our pickup tires.

The manager of the Goodyear store I use tells me the Corp won’t allow then to even fix a flat on any manufacturer’s tire that is over 5 years old. They say tires loose too much after that to be safe.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote