Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
kjtogo
Established Member

M.O.C. #6667
Aux Generator Connection

Our unit has the factory installed generator prep and we've decided to go with the parrelled Honda EU2000s instead. Has anyone added a 30amp connector to the existing factory prep package so the portable generators can be plugged into the front instead of going through the 50amp connector in the rear? We would like to be able to run the generators in the rear of the truck and plug into the front of the RV for quick overnight stops instead of taking them out and putting them on the ground and dealing with the 50amp cord that would run to the rear. Thanks for all the great ideas and advise we continue to receive from this forum.

kjtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You should be able to connect directly to one of the 30A "pop-out" circuit breakers on the front generator prep, like you say. That way you are also taking advantage of the transfer switch installed by Keystone as well.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I added a 30A plug and an extra 20A plug in the front compartment. It is rather easy if you know anything about electricty. I mess around with that stuff all of the time. I put the 20A plug-in on a seperate switch in the compartment in case I wanted to plug a battery charger in fo quicker charges. I also built an extra shelf in the front compartment. Mine was put in a 2955 Montana that wasn't pre-gen wired. I came from the inverter thru the basement, into the gas bottle compartment and into front compartment. Works great....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Kathy and John... Very good idea. i wondered the same thing even without having the Gen. prep. package. I was thinking, stop about 2 hours before you reach the camp ground, start the Generator and let it cool everything down some before you even arrive at the camp ground. Can the A/C units be run while in transit?
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Leaseit, Mudchief does that.
I added a 30 amp plug to my front compartment as well.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:01 AM   #6
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Ozz (Palm Slaps Forhead, I should have known) Any pic's on the install and finished job? Where did you make the connection to the main feed and is there a switch??
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
I installed two new breaker boxes in a cabinet next to the original breaker panel. One has a 50 amp breaker in it for the line in and the other has a 30 amp. I didn't want the 30 amp plug in the front compartment to be hot when I was plugged in to shore power and I didn't want the shore power connector at the back of the trailer to be hot when running the gen. So when I run the gen I switch the 30 amp breaker on and turn the 50 amp off. Hope that makes sense.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The pigtail is up in the front compartment, it is switched, and ties into the 3,000 watt inverter, here is a picture of the inverter and the wires going through to the front. The pigtail wire goes through on the box to the right. I have a battery disconnect (Perko marine) off to the right of the inverter.
My power wires tie into the transfer switch in the W/D compartment.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/042a55c9.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...stall003-1.jpg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote