Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
Air Ride Hitches

I am going to upgrade my hitch due to adding heavier springs to my TV. I have not decided what one would be the best. I am looking at both the pin box style and the air hitch that mounts in the bed of the TV. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We sure like our TrailAir. Makes for alot smoother ride and the monty pulls like a dream.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I, too, am making that search. The Trailair looks like a good solution but weighs more than I like. It's about 160 lbs as opposed to 45 lbs on the regular king pin box. The Air Ride Hitch looks like a great solution at three times the cost of Trailair. Then there is the Mor/ryde Rubber Pin Box as installed on the new Cambridge. This is the least expensive at or near $750. I don't know what the life of the rubber is or how well it works in comparison to the air types. So I can't make up my mind.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you haven't already take a look at www.trailair.com they seem like nice folks I have talked to them on the phone they are OEM installers on many name brand RV's..Montana is not one of them. They are in the same complex as the Montana plant. I will have the pin box installed on my Montana when I buy it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:44 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
By coincidence, I just made that decision about 3 hours ago. I have purchased a TrailAir hitch for our Montana, and we will have it installed at the Factory. Same price= $930.00. We are on a trip to Kentucky and Southern Michigan next week anyway, so we will drop by Goshen, IN and have the hitch installed.

I, like Stiles, have been considering exactly the same options he mentioned. Finally, I called TrailAir and they were nice enough to schedule the installation on the one day I could stop by their location. That will be Monday, June 20.

So, Stiles and other friends, there is never a perfect solution. You just have to make a decision and live with it. In this case, I think any one of the possibilities might be just fine.

I'll let you know what difference it made for us as we travel the last 1000 miles on home.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

I, too, am making that search.[...] So I can't make up my mind.
Well, besides the price difference of in-bed hitch vs pinbox solution, the pinbox has the added advantage of always being with the Monty in the case you trade TV's. I know that in my particular case I will be more likely to swap out the TV several times before we get rid of this particular Monty.

Regarding the type of pinbox solution, my decision was a no-brainer due to finding this TrailAir from one of our old MOC members who was selling his used one for $400.

For the 10 miles I've pulled with it I would say it seems to be living up to its promises. By mid July I'll have several hundered towing miles to let me make up my mind just how good it is.

My $0.02 worth.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We are scheduled to get a TrailAir installed on June 22nd, before we head off to Alaska after visiting with family. I expect it to ease the wear and tear on the Monty as well as provide a smoother ride. They're coming out as a standard item on many brands now. Cedar Creek is one brand the dealer mentioned. Our price will be the same as the factory plus the dealer's installation fee, about $75.00. We'll share our opinion when we have one.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Please post the details on how the factory installation goes. I asked them if they could install the pin box when the montana came off the line and I think he said " they can send someoone over there" I may be mistaken on that???? They are OEM with 14 Rv makers, Carriage, Gulfstream, Forest river, Nu-Wa, king of the road among them...How about you Montana..That option could make the difference....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:56 AM   #9
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
We love our TrailAir!! Makes a tremendous difference in the ride. Had the unit installed at the factory in Goshen last fall. The installers were terrific. It is quite interesting to watch it being done--and you will be right there watching if you want. They have a small waiting area if you prefer. We found the entire process quite interesting. Bottom line--although the checkbook took a hit--we'd do it over in a minute. Good luck with your research!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #10
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
Thanks for the info. It looks like after looking at the prices of the in bed hitches
TrailAir is going to be the most economical way to go.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 12:40 AM   #11
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We are seriously thinking of the Mor/Ryde. I think we are going to get one installed in Sept. on our way to the Great Lakes Rally.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:25 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I purchased the Trailer-Saver TS-3 hitch for my Ford F-250 two years ago and love it. It cost me $1700 but it sure does the trick. It's manufactured in Wisconsin by a full-time RVer. They make one for the medium duty truck also. My Montana kingpin just floats. There is no bouncing or jarring. Take a look at www.trailersaver.com
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:38 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Looks like there are several options. Are there any folks out there who have used more than one of them and can contrast the pros, cons, and effectiveness of each? Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:29 AM   #14
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Steve: If someone had that kind of experience and would post it, I would be very, very interested in the comparisons. Everyone seems to be happy with what they have.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:21 AM   #15
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
We have had the TrailAir for the past 3 years, this is our third fiver and our first of this type of hitching mechinism.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:02 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Here is the report I promised on our TrailAir hitch. We stopped by Goshen, IN on Monday and were met at the service door by owner and inventor Dale (can't recall his last name). He lives in Columbia, MO but was in town at Goshen the day we came in. He could not have treated us better. There was another large Fifth wheel in the bay, but they were able to move up so our hitch could be installed

Let me just insert here that we enjoyed the visit with the Coffmans who had that large Fifth wheel and were awaiting installation of the Air ride suspension on the trailer itself. The diagnosis was that this would require parts to be shipped and considerable more time for installation, so Dale helped them to park on the grass next to the TrailAir shop where they could get electric power and stay overnight. It was a great pleasure to visit with them as we waited.

The installation was done before lunch (we had driven from Southern Michigan that morning) and we were on our way home. Dale assured us that our satisfaction was entirely guaranteed. "If you are not happy with it, then its mine," he said.

It is hard to make an exact comparison but we feel that it makes a great deal of difference especially on the concrete sections of highways and on the bridges which often have very rough entrances and exits. Some of the worst roads were in southern Missouri. I hope all the roads in Missouri are not as bad as the ones we encountered in I-57 and I-55. If so, that state really has a big task ahead to bring their highways up to standard. Arkansas has greatly improved their sections of I-40 and I-30. Oh sure, there are some sections of rouch concrete but for the most part good smooth asphalt. I still cannot understand why roads are still being built with concrete. Must be the result of a powerful lobby at the state level. If I could take the members of the state legislature for one day's ride in my pickup towing our Montana, I don't think there would be any more concrete highways.

The TrailAir makes a big difference, but these roads are rough even when not towing. I noticed that when we were in Michigan on some of the secondary state roads. Even without the RV the concrete was terribly rough on the pickup. My first impression is that the TrailAir brings the experience of towing about at the same level as the road would be without towing. (Hope that makes sense.) No one should expect any more than that.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:41 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm glad to hear you're pleased with the Trail-Air. I've yet to hear anything bad about them.

As for Missouri roads, well, we've not traveled them all but have traveled a bunch of them and my impression is that, in Missouri, "all roads are created equally rough."
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #18
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
We got our Trail-Air installed this afternoon. We had the appointment all lined up so we stopped as we drove through Cedar Falls, Iowa. It took about 90 minutes, we hitched up and just drove away. Glen got us lost just so he could test it out on a stretch of gravel road. Well, it worked very well. The highway up to New Hampton was a good test....bumpy concrete. The waffling effect was still there, but it was softer. The whole ride was softer. It doesn't take everything away but it does make for a much nicer ride. We only tested it for 45 miles so we'll have a more definitive opinion later.
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #19
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
We have the Easyrider hitch. In our opinion the ride is much better with it. I agree with David and Shirley the road between Springfield and the Oklahoma stateline is very rough. We traveled it just before have the Easyrider was installed and just after. we believed that the ride is smoother. Our best proof is that our one year old granddaughter can take a nap in the truck now; before she could not sleep on rough roads. The Easyrider hitch is manufactured in Wewoka, Oklahoma.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #20
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
We have the Trailaire pin hitch and center point suspension on our 5er. The ride for both units has been much smoother and has stopped the sharp up and down motion from a conventional hitch and standard spring suspension.
Charlie and Sue
Montana_2304 is offline   Reply With Quote