Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Blind Troubles Continually

Is anyone else having troubles with the blinds on the newer Montana's? We have a 2019 3121RL and the blinds have been our biggest problem and source of much frustration. Up to now the first 3-4 issues were addressed and taken care of under warranty by our dealer. Over this past year 2 have fallen down to the floor during travel, dealer replaced one and I the other. 2 of them did not retract or set properly and were replaced by the dealer, no problem. On 3 of them the bottom rail has come off and I had to re-thread the tube/rail back onto the bottom of the shade. Now the latest issue, I went to lower a shade and with a big bang the shade came rolling down, obviously the spring had sprung. This last one happened just after the MOC rally a week out of warranty and I have it duct taped up at the moment. My questions: 1) is anyone else having these same troubles? and 2) does anyone know of a better quality more reliable aftermarket blind/shade since I'll now have to start paying for the replacements? Thank you in advance for your responses, suggestions, and recommendations. John

jeepjrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
MCD shades are very good, but also high dollar.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Did you call Irvine shade for help and advice. They can help with the blind mechanisms but the brackets that hold them up in the valences belong to keystone ( so to speak). They have been helpful to me.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Did you call Irvine shade for help and advice. They can help with the blind mechanisms but the brackets that hold them up in the valences belong to keystone ( so to speak). They have been helpful to me.
Thank you for the suggestion and I did talk to them at the MOC rally but I thought my troubles were behind me at that point. I agree Keystone fixed the 1 and I the other that fell from the brackets. I’ll look up their number and give them a call, maybe there is a way to rewind sprung blinds. Much appreciate your response!
Old 10-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I will guess that Irvine will walk you thru taking the springs out to look at them. They have generously sent several folks here new guts for the blinds. What she can’t help with is removing the blind from the valence brackets because those are chosen and installed by keystone.

There was a thread here recently where someone described using a screw driver to pop the blinds out of the brackets but it did not work for me. I would love to see a video to see what the secret is. I tried every angle and got to the point where it was afraid I would break something - so I quit until somebody enlightens me.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #6
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I will guess that Irvine will walk you thru taking the springs out to look at them. They have generously sent several folks here new guts for the blinds. What she can’t help with is removing the blind from the valence brackets because those are chosen and installed by keystone.

There was a thread here recently where someone described using a screw driver to pop the blinds out of the brackets but it did not work for me. I would love to see a video to see what the secret is. I tried every angle and got to the point where it was afraid I would break something - so I quit until somebody enlightens me.
It’s unfortunate that you’re having much the same trouble but I also feel good that I’m not the only one struggling with the frustration of these new blinds. And you’re absolutely correct, video’s how to fix/replace these blinds would be wonderful. Looking back to the old style aluminum blinds, they didn’t look the best but they always worked and we’re pretty much trouble free. Sometimes new and improved is just a fallacy as in this case.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
I would love to take those things down and put up mini blinds like our TT had. I hate the fact that the windows are either wide open (if I want light in) or blocked off by the shades if they are down. I would much rather have a mini blind that I can control the light that comes in without the whole window being uncovered so everyone can see in. I think a wood blind or wood "look" blind would look great and probably block out more sun/heat. We have had the bottom rail come off of almost all of our shades. Have to remember to grab them on the sides and not the bottom. Not a fan.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66Rambler View Post
I would love to take those things down and put up mini blinds like our TT had. I hate the fact that the windows are either wide open (if I want light in) or blocked off by the shades if they are down. I would much rather have a mini blind that I can control the light that comes in without the whole window being uncovered so everyone can see in. I think a wood blind or wood "look" blind would look great and probably block out more sun/heat. We have had the bottom rail come off of almost all of our shades. Have to remember to grab them on the sides and not the bottom. Not a fan.
I’m sorry to hear of your troubles with the rails falling off, I just had 2 more fall off since I wrote this post along with another blind taped up with duct tape, pretty sorry in such a beautiful camper. The dealer tried to explain to me how to get them down but guess I’m too dumb to figure it out. Thanks for your response, mini blinds might be the best option, agree with you totally after all the trouble with these shades.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
Cushing872
Established Member

M.O.C. #24837
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjrn View Post
Is anyone else having troubles with the blinds on the newer Montana's? We have a 2019 3121RL and the blinds have been our biggest problem and source of much frustration. Up to now the first 3-4 issues were addressed and taken care of under warranty by our dealer. Over this past year 2 have fallen down to the floor during travel, dealer replaced one and I the other. 2 of them did not retract or set properly and were replaced by the dealer, no problem. On 3 of them the bottom rail has come off and I had to re-thread the tube/rail back onto the bottom of the shade. Now the latest issue, I went to lower a shade and with a big bang the shade came rolling down, obviously the spring had sprung. This last one happened just after the MOC rally a week out of warranty and I have it duct taped up at the moment. My questions: 1) is anyone else having these same troubles? and 2) does anyone know of a better quality more reliable aftermarket blind/shade since I'll now have to start paying for the replacements? Thank you in advance for your responses, suggestions, and recommendations. John
My parents and I both have the same rig as you but the 20th Anniversary Edition. I have no problems with the blinds with the exception of helping them retract. My parents have a few that the pull tabs were coming unstitched. They just had them replaced under warranty.
Cushing872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
When I was last in the dealer a few weeks ago, I asked the service manager, whom we are close to, what his biggest warranty repair was. Blinds were 2nd under slide motors.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:46 PM   #11
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Certainly Believable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
When I was last in the dealer a few weeks ago, I asked the service manager, whom we are close to, what his biggest warranty repair was. Blinds were 2nd under slide motors.
I can understand that totally, of the 10 blinds I have in my 2019 3121RL, I’ve had trouble with 6 of them, 3 fixed under warranty at the dealer, 2 fixed by myself, and 1 is still wire tied up with no help or assistance from Irvine after one call and one email. Guess it will end up a trip to Menards to maybe match up something close that works! Sad for such an awesome Montana product that cheap blinds ruin and frustrate the experience of ownership. Appreciate your response and information, thank you!
Old 10-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #12
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cushing872 View Post
My parents and I both have the same rig as you but the 20th Anniversary Edition. I have no problems with the blinds with the exception of helping them retract. My parents have a few that the pull tabs were coming unstitched. They just had them replaced under warranty.
It’s good to hear that someone is having better luck then I, I hope it continues for you. We have the 20th Anniversary Edition as well, we totally love it with the exception of all the troubles we continually have with the blinds. Thanks you for your response, that’s good to know it’s not all the blinds.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:40 PM   #13
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Blind Tip

For those whom may unfortunately have blind trouble I’ve found that wire ties work the best, not duct tape, see attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16741A1E-B157-4322-9DB2-B497EC173BF0.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	4937  
Old 10-28-2019, 05:34 AM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The brackets are on the Irvine Shade web page. They are not keystones. Irvine will send replacement brackets and bad springs and shade brakes.
I ordered black sun shades for all my windows through Shade man who was at the National rally. It is easy to upgrade. The hardest part is removing the shades from the holders.

There is a button on the edge farthest from the window. You push the button in (ALL THE WAY) and then rotate the bottom of the shade away from the window. The Aluminum frame is slid into the inside edge of the holder and then snapped into the window edge of the bracket. The snap in is help by pushing the black button on the inside.

Irvine has a good web on repairing / replacing the springs.

I hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #15
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
shade removal

The black bracket (colored pink in the sketch below) that holds the blinds up inside the valence "belong to Keystone". The aluminum end brackets (colored blue in the sketch below) are part of Irvine Shade's system. I made this sketch to show how to remove the blinds from the valence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	How to remove Irvine Door shades from the mounting bracket.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	4940  
Old 10-28-2019, 11:21 AM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Irvine Shade sent me a replacement bracket and I confirmed it was the correct one from their web page. I have the largest.
http://www.irvineshadeanddoor.com/wp...oup-image.jpeg
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:13 AM   #17
Sandra_David
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20440
Great information and discussion on blinds. We have had a few troubles and I like the diagram for removal. I have got two left that keeps me busy.
What has everyone else used to fill in the holes when the screws pullout of the paper n glue walls?
One top valence and two side curtains have been pulled out, curtains removed by our girl Zoey looking out the window and watching the campground for us
Thanks
Sandra_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:43 PM   #18
Montana2019
Established Member

M.O.C. #22614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra_David View Post
Great information and discussion on blinds. We have had a few troubles and I like the diagram for removal. I have got two left that keeps me busy.
What has everyone else used to fill in the holes when the screws pullout of the paper n glue walls?
One top valence and two side curtains have been pulled out, curtains removed by our girl Zoey looking out the window and watching the campground for us
Thanks
Realize this is an old post so you probably already found a fix, but if not I’ll mention for anyone else. Pop Rivets can be used on RV walls. I’ve hung blind valances, towel racks, and misc other hardware with them and never had one pull out.
Montana2019 is offline   Reply With Quote