Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
Madmax07
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27605
Truck/Trailer Level?

I am new to this forum and new to 5th wheels. Recently purchases our 2013 3582RL. I have a 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie with a Reese 16K slider hitch.

I hope this isn't a dumb question but how do I check to see if the truck and trailer are level when hooked up. If it isn't level, what is the best way to get it level. Any help is appreciated. If this is addressed in another thread, I apologize.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie
Madmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax07 View Post
I am new to this forum and new to 5th wheels. Recently purchases our 2013 3582RL. I have a 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie with a Reese 16K slider hitch.

I hope this isn't a dumb question but how do I check to see if the truck and trailer are level when hooked up. If it isn't level, what is the best way to get it level. Any help is appreciated. If this is addressed in another thread, I apologize.
Welcome!

Do you think you are way off? Any photos of your rig when hooked up?

With the popular newer 4x4 trucks all seem to sit so high that I think it's hard to get completely level. But, my last couple of trucks have been RAM with the factory air systems; when you put them into "aux trailer height" they do lower down and get closer to level.
But I admit I've not tried to get that perfect; perhaps others know if this is important, but I've gone off "close enough" for my rigs. They still do sit a bit nose high even with the suspension lowered.

Let us know how far off you are, and maybe others can help more.

Thanks,
Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
Park in a level area and have a look. You will be able to tell if it is ok or not

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Massive edit!

Sorry about that!

If the truck bottom looks level to the road parking surface, and if the trailer frame looks level to the road parking surface, you are level when hitched.

You can also measure with a tape measure the front and the back from the ground to the bottom of the trailer when unhitched and level. It should be the same when hitched.

Your truck will squat, but he front and the rear should be the same distance apart when measuring the same spots hitched and unhitched.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
The only way to know for sure if you are towing level is to measure your unit (hitched up & fully loaded) when sitting on a perfectly flat surface. The surface does not need to be perfectly level, but very flat.

Go to a large flat parking lot, like Lowes/Home depot Etc. Measure from the ground to the underside of the main beam of the camper in front and in back. If the difference is, say 3" higher in the front, then your 1 1/2" high in the front.

Report back with your findings for farther guidance.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #6
Madmax07
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27605
Thanks, I appreciate all the advice. I will take it to a flat parking lot and measure. Will let you know if my findings.
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie
Madmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #7
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

Your truck will squat, but he front and the rear should be the same distance apart when measuring the same spots hitched and unhitched.
If I understand your statement here, your saying that the entire truck will lower by X" when hitched, including the front?

As an example, if I'm 38" front, and 40" back when unhitched, I'll be 36" front and 38" back when hitched. Both the front and back lowered the same amount.

Our truck, bone stock, sits about 2" higher in the rear, unhitched. When hitched, the rear goes down about 2.5", and the front doesn't really move. So, when we are hitched, we are about .5" lower in the back than the front. That's pretty typical from what I've seen.

Again, maybe I misunderstood what you were saying...
Old 12-06-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax07 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate all the advice. I will take it to a flat parking lot and measure. Will let you know if my findings.
Also ensure you have 5-7" between the top of your truck rails and the bottom of the fiver.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
[QUOTE=CADman_KS;1206103...

Again, maybe I misunderstood what you were saying...[/QUOTE]

Sometime I'm still living in my previous travel trailers with a bumper hitch and weight distribution system.

Agreed the truck will squat with a fifth wheel, but if the rear squats in excess compared the front there too much weight on the rear axle. Unfortunately, with a fifth wheel set-up, there's not much anyone can do to keep the truck more level except to start compromising with air bags and heavier springs. These are about the only 2 solutions I know of to bring the truck more level.

If the truck still "looks" level when hitched, then you are good to go. One bit of secondary side effects rear truck squat is night driving. When the rear squats, the angle beam of the headlights are raised. Just a inch difference can cause the headlights to become constant high beams for oncoming traffic. So, check your headlights when driving at night, unhitched compared to hitched.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Just get a level out. Put it on the truck bed.if it's level than put it under the nose of the trailer at the side edge. if it's level and you have 6" of clearance than you are good to go. If the truck isn't level you need air bags. They will help with a number of things like ride when unhooked. They also help with bounce as they work with the shocks. You need to level the truck first then the trailer. If the truck is fine and then the trailer is not than adjust the hitch in the truck. Do the pin box last idf you absolutely have to.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:20 AM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
Just get a level out. Put it on the truck bed.if it's level than put it under the nose of the trailer at the side edge. if it's level and you have 6" of clearance than you are good to go. If the truck isn't level you need air bags. They will help with a number of things like ride when unhooked. They also help with bounce as they work with the shocks. You need to level the truck first then the trailer. If the truck is fine and then the trailer is not than adjust the hitch in the truck. Do the pin box last idf you absolutely have to.
The (using a level method) you describe will work just fine but one must understand that the truck and trailer MUST be on perfectly level surface for that to be accurate.

It will be difficult to find perfectly a level spot 60 foot long to use this method. Maybe a scale at the dump or flying J or something like that.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:34 AM   #12
BobStack
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25753
This is also an option if your truck is sitting unlevel.

https://www.etrailer.com/vehicle-fin...RoCe6cQAvD_BwE
BobStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #13
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Perhaps I have a simplistic view, but I think everyone is overthinking this. Unless you are prepared to install airbags or mess with the suspension of the truck (with a 3500 I don't think you need to do either); you can't change the truck. It will probably squat about 3"; fine, it is what it is.

As for the 5th wheel, park on a level surface and put a level inside (I use the stove, floor or counter). You can then adjust your pin box/hitch to tow the trailer as level as possible; mine has three or four mounting holes to choose from; it will probably not be perfect. Done.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #14
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
I guess I'm wondering what the point of the exercise is?

For example, while I know it makes sense to be level, what if you're not? How much is ok, and how much is not ok? I'd be surprised to get out a bubble level and find that there were many rigs that actually were level to that sensitivity; I sure don't think I've had any that would be.

And, if you're not level, what can be done about it?
Trucks will squat and airbags can help, but lifting the rear of the truck up will likely increase the nose high stance of the trailer. And, changing the trailer to truck geometry is often not easy, or not cheap, and in many cases not even all that possible. (ie, lower the front and you run into bed rail clearance issues; raise the trailer suspension and you bring on other potential new issues including being legally over height)

So, I'm left with, what problem are we trying to solve here?

Thanks,

Brad
Old 12-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #15
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Perhaps I have a simplistic view, but I think everyone is overthinking this. Unless you are prepared to install airbags or mess with the suspension of the truck (with a 3500 I don't think you need to do either); you can't change the truck. It will probably squat about 3"; fine, it is what it is.

As for the 5th wheel, park on a level surface and put a level inside (I use the stove, floor or counter). You can then adjust your pin box/hitch to tow the trailer as level as possible; mine has three or four mounting holes to choose from; it will probably not be perfect. Done.
I think I was writing my last post while you posted yours ...
I think we see it similarly; there is often no way to make it perfect, so we make the best compromise we can.

I'm still curious if others are way more fussy about this, and if so, why?

Brad
Old 12-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #16
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
I think I was writing my last post while you posted yours ...
I think we see it similarly; there is often no way to make it perfect, so we make the best compromise we can.

I'm still curious if others are way more fussy about this, and if so, why?

Brad
You want your trailer to be as level as possible so the axles are carrying about the same amount of weight and the fridge (if you have an RV fridge) works properly when not moving. Also, if you stop somewhere to sleep, you want to be somewhat level. Of course, you also want to look good .
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #17
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
You want your trailer to be as level as possible so the axles are carrying about the same amount of weight and the fridge (if you have an RV fridge) works properly when not moving. Also, if you stop somewhere to sleep, you want to be somewhat level. Of course, you also want to look good .
LOL, agree.

So, how much is good enough? Within 1" of level? Within 2"-3"?

I've got a lot of miles over a lot of years, but it's not something I've ever stressed over; maybe I should

Brad
Old 12-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #18
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobStack View Post
This is also an option if your truck is sitting unlevel.

https://www.etrailer.com/vehicle-fin...RoCe6cQAvD_BwE
I have been using timbrens on every truck I've had for the last 10 plus years they work well
Old 12-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #19
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
LOL, agree.

So, how much is good enough? Within 1" of level? Within 2"-3"?

I've got a lot of miles over a lot of years, but it's not something I've ever stressed over; maybe I should

Brad
IMHO the truck itself being level while Towing is not too much of a big deal unless it is Extreme like very visibly obvious.
Now the fifth wheel itself being level it's completely different. It should be as level as possible while being towed down the road. If it is being towed nose High you are putting more weight on the rear axle thus possibly overloading the tires/ bearings. Etc. That also puts more stress on the frame above that axle that is overloaded.

How much out of level is still okay I can't answer that. 1 inch or so over 40 ft I could live with.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #20
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
IMHO the truck itself being level while Towing is not too much of a big deal unless it is Extreme like very visibly obvious.
Now the fifth wheel itself being level it's completely different. It should be as level as possible while being towed down the road. If it is being towed nose High you are putting more weight on the rear axle thus possibly overloading the tires/ bearings. Etc. That also puts more stress on the frame above that axle that is overloaded.

How much out of level is still okay I can't answer that. 1 inch or so over 40 ft I could live with.
Thanks beeje!

Brad