Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
Gonna be a bumpy ride for the next couple weeks!

There will be some slowness over the next two weeks while ForumCo performs maintenance on the database server. There will be slow times, very slow times and times when the MOC will not be able to be accessed.

ForumCo has been in operation for 10 years now. Because there is so much data it is slowing down the following;

1. Searching
2. The main forum page
2. forum.asp
3. topic.asp
4. Backups

Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Ha! you forgot to lock this one Lady RV
Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
No I did not forget Don. This one was intentionally left open for comment.
Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
left open for comments?
OK, here's one....do whatcha gotta do. It's a dang small price to pay for such a mega-valuable source of info, friendship and downright useful research !

'sides, I'm a dang sight more than ten years old and I get more "slowness" every day !
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #5
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Is that why the pictures on the left side are not showing up now>
Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #6
bitterbrook
Established Member

M.O.C. #10326
Time for MOC to host its own forum on its own account. Didn't someone offer free hosting some time ago?
bitterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Well looking at the membership count well into the 5 digits, just emagin if every member just sent $5.00 to assist in the forum's web site it would help probably a lot. and $5.00 wont brake the bank either.
I'll go and start with the first $5.00 at the donate tag ay the top of the page.
I hope that this might start a good repair fund.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
The MOC does not need to change. It has been going just fine for many years. All systems need maintenance, even persons. Don's suggestion of support is great.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Take care of business and do what needs to be done. We'll survive.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Anything worth having is worth waiting for, right? So, we'll be happy to wait when we have to because this forum is definitely worth having. Thanks for all you do, Lady RV.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
I have not posted for a very long time but read almost everyday so I will be happy to wait for things to be upgraded after all this is the best RV forum on the Net... Thank You MONTANA OWNERS CLUB FOR THIS GREAT FORUM.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I have only been an active member for about 7 months now but have met a lot of new friends (at least I think they are friends) through this web site. So do what you have to do and Baxter also gives his approval.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A forum with this kind of support and band width is not exactly cheap. We do send in a small donation every year to support the forum and it is customary at the regional rallies to do a 50/50 raffle in support of the forum.

Glenn always posted a reminder that for all the forum provides for us a small donation toward its support is not a bad idea. This is a good time for that reminder.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
rphoward
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4471
At all of the rallies I've attended $$ have been raised and sent on to support the forum. We've actually raised quite a bit at some of our rally activities. Also when MOC merchandise is sold, there is a portion of that cost that goes back to the forum. We all support the forum in lots of different ways.
rphoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I have seen some comments, by disgruntled campers, picked up by a couple of the RV magazines. Seems these poor campers have had their beauty sleep interrupted by horrible folks having the gall to start their diesel engines sometime before noon in order to get on the road to the next destination. The best replies I have seen to these comments have recommended the "offended" parties should just deal with it, or find some place else to camp where diesel vehicles are not allowed...relative to "slower" response time on the MOC site, I like the advice to "deal with it," which is exactly what I will do. After all, a site that provides such terrific information and a forum to interact with people who share my RV interest is well worth slower response time (although, can't say I have seen any slower response????). Michael Robinson
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #16
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
It's just an awesome sight, even though I don't visit as much as I used to. No one should complain about slow downs during upgrades!!
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I might point out, too, that Doug Henry (DHenry) and Sharon Henry handle all the MOC merchandise and all proceeds go to MOC. They do this voluntarily on their own time, etc. Buying MOC merchandise thus helps support the forum, too. Plus we get these great t-shirts, ballcaps, sweatshirts, bumper stickers, etc.!

Forumco has done a tremendous job of supporting this forum over the years. Kudos to them for an excellent job.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #18
bitterbrook
Established Member

M.O.C. #10326
I notice the overall negative reaction to my post. Those of you who don't want to change anything since this is a great resource (and I agree it is) should be aware that ForumCo is considering archiving posts over three months old and deleting posts over a year old. You can read the ForumCo admin's post for yourselves .

Now that would seem to be a major "change," yes?

Web forums are available free with most hosting accounts; my web host gives a choice of several. Dedicated server accounts (and VPS accounts which are less expensive) add beef to those forum alternatives. Big advantage is that MOC would control the longevity of content rather than ForumCo, and MOC would make the decision which data to keep and which to delete or archive, rather than some admin sitting over in Ireland.

I notice LadyRV is a mod on ForumCo's support forum, so she may be able to make a better assessment than I, but I suspect that churning through the 92 gigabytes of data that ForumCo has amassed over ten years really slows things down, no matter how much you tweak (that's probably why they are considering deleting older data).

While I am NOT trying to stir things up, reality is reality, and the reality is that if you host hundreds of web forums on your server(s), every single forum is running a database whenever it is being used (unlike many vanilla websites with no databases), and you have one giant resource hog.

ForumCo's admission to even be thinking about deleting data means they have a serious problem which will cost money to resolve. If this was a tweaking/upgrade issue, I doubt the admin would have even mentioned it. Comments about deleting data chase customers away.

So MOC does not "need" to change the forum or do anything besides depend on ForumCo to keep things running smoothly. But if the admins here are not looking at alternatives, we may be in for a rude awakening one day when that great article about fixing day/night shades has been deleted because it's thirteen months old.

I'm done.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I guess that is all true but it is the admins forum and their choice as to how to run it. It is free to us and for free it is not a bad deal. Today the forum is very fast so perhaps they worked the magic. Post were not negitive..just folks talking..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #20
bitterbrook
Established Member

M.O.C. #10326
I see someone has deleted the link I put in this post pointing to ForumCo's post in their support forum about deleting data from their supported forums.

I didn't want to comment here further, but since someone is censoring my post, I would like it known that ForumCo is considering deleting all data that's a year or more older.

I don't want this forum to go away. Are the admins willing to let that happen?

Click here to read the ForumCo admin's post.