Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
jfbritt
Established Member

M.O.C. #23856
Black Water Tank Flush

I have a 2011 Montana Mountaineer. Each time I disconnect I flush the black water tank with city water through the black water tank flush connector located in the convenience center.

One of my fellow campers was telling me about the ' Valterra Flush King Reverse Flush Valve'. He indicated it was a good thing to do once or twice a year, particularly when you winterize your RV.

Has anyone ever used this product (or similar product) or have any comments on using it? It is worth the investment? Just looking to get a clean black tank when I winterize.

jfbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Personally I think it would be a waste of money. Especially since you regularly backflush. It is not like you are going to eat off the surface of the black tank! I flush, usually 3 times, when I empty. The water runs pretty clear by the last time.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:49 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I have one. I just bought it so I had a clear elbow to see how effective the black tank flush was performing. Never use the hose connection on it. By the time the water traverses your three inch sewer pipe and any fittings in that run all it is going to do is add water to the bottom of your black tank. The installed black tank flush, when operating properly, at least generates a spray in the tank.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The Valterra does not really flush the tank like a sprayer does. It allows water to back up thru the sewer drain back into the tank. There would not be a lot of turbulence to stir up solids. You could do the same by holding the toilet flush open but it might take a little longer. Even so, it would probably help some.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As stated above, I don't think it would hurt anything but it won't help a whole lot either. Those were and are made for rigs that don't have a flush option and do the best they can under the circumstances. Also rigs that don't have flushes usually have shorter sewer runs so it works better.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
I have one. I just bought it so I had a clear elbow to see how effective the black tank flush was performing. Never use the hose connection on it. By the time the water traverses your three inch sewer pipe and any fittings in that run all it is going to do is add water to the bottom of your black tank. The installed black tank flush, when operating properly, at least generates a spray in the tank.
I agree with that. I found that raising the front of the trailer causes the tanks to drain with much more force. I'll also kink and release the hose a for the black tank flush a few times just to get more agitation in there.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:47 AM   #7
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Been using the king flush adapter with gate valve for 7 years ... never an issue cleaning out black tank nor my gray tanks. The external gate valve also is nice as you will never get unwanted surprises when removing the sewer cap...

I’ve never used the built in black tank flush nor will I... if the anti siphon valve fails...and the OEM plastic ones will you will flood your RV if you don’t realize quickly there is an issue

Key to maintaining easy to clean black tank is lots of water in tank before first solid use and watch amount of TP that gets thrown down it.. I dump black tank every 4 days when staying in RV park with hookups. Always flush about 7 gals of water down toilet after a dump. Water prevents solids from piling up.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:47 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I've used one for years on my old unit as it did not have the internal flush. I do still use it so I can flush the gray tanks since sometimes food and sediment gets down there no matter how careful you try to be. Also, it is the only clear elbow I have as stated above.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #9
northern lights
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18757
Send a message via AIM to northern lights
"I flush, usually 3 times, when I empty. The water runs pretty clear by the last time."

I fill the toilet bowl & flush 3 times before closing the valve. Just to make sure.
northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
We pluged our black tank in 2012, probably from not using enough water with each flush. An RV repair service unplugged it with a reverse flo valve. He suggested I use it with each draining. My 2010 Mountaineer has a backflush connectrion which we use faithfully. After the tank drains, I close the reverse flo valve and fill the tank about half, then open it and watch what comes out. I will repeat this at least once and maybe twice till the drainage is fairly clear. We use our RV toilet and we use plenty of paper so I wouldn't be without the reverse flo valve. I think I have replaced the reverse flo valve at least twice from Walmart. I use it with a 10 inch clear straight extrension so that the valve handle will clear my fender skirt.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have the Valterra Flush King with the clear elbow. I use it about every third dumping and am rather surprised at just how much extra solids come out of the tank when I use it. I use the black tank flush when emptying the tank and close the valve several times, wait about five to seven minutes then pull the valve open again until the water runs clear. I then turn off the black tank flush and turn on the Flush King. I let it run for about the same amount of time as the tank flush. BB__TX has it correct in saying the Flush King does not throw a spray into the tank but it does run water back into the tank from the exit port. That exit port is about 2" or so off the bottom of your tank and there is settlement of solids below that exit port. The Flush King stirs that settlement up from the opposite direction and fills the tank from the lower end up thus creating and stirring up those solids. A lot more of the solids come out the exit port and down the pipe and hose than with just the black tank flush. I actually have two of these flush connections. One has a straight show at shooting water into the pipe and into the tank with more pressure. The other has an angle to shooting the the water into the pipe and tank. The angled one does not do as good a job and that is why I bought the second one.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #12
Irv
Established Member

M.O.C. #19411
Our experience is that the Valterra Flush King is primarily used as a countermeasure for plugs at the black tank discharge. As a normal flush, it is marginal if you have a regular flush line for that tank.
Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #13
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
If you use a microbial black water tank treatment in your black tank, as well as your grey tank, back flushing becomes a non issue. You will not experience blockages and your tanks will flush with ease. Also destroys toilet paper and you can use anything that is labeled septic tank safe. If my tanks are lightly used, I don't even bother to back flush. The only thing you need to do is keep using the microbial tank treatment. When I do flush my tanks it is a light flush because when you flush your tank you are also flushing the microbes, which you don't want to do. One of the products mentioned below says to NOT back flush your tank for this reason. The microbes will clean your tank from top to bottom. Any sludge currently stuck in your tanks will be gone in short order. The only thing you will want is a clear elbow attachment so see that your tank is emptying completely. I am a bit surprised more folks don't know about this. All this extra equipment for back flushing is a waste of money and extra work. Do yourself a favor and do your own research. The top products are Unique brand "Digest-it", Caravan sensor and tank treatment, and Tank Techs Rx. The first two are available on Amazon, as well as other places (Google it). tanktechsrx.com. Your black and grey tanks issues are a thing of the past. Empty, add more treatment, and forget it.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:59 AM   #14
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Mike, I've been using the Happy Camper treatment. Have you tried it compared to the Digest-It you mentioned? I'm wondering how they compare. I haven't had any problems with or without it yet. Just curious if you have an opinion. I started using it with this unit. On our old one, I never used anything as I always flushed thoroughly and never went beyond about 3 days.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #15
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Mike, I've been using the Happy Camper treatment. Have you tried it compared to the Digest-It you mentioned? I'm wondering how they compare. I haven't had any problems with or without it yet. Just curious if you have an opinion. I started using it with this unit. On our old one, I never used anything as I always flushed thoroughly and never went beyond about 3 days.
Yes, I started with the Happy Camper treatment and it works great for killing odors and does help break things down chemically, BUT, you still need to flush your tanks with chemical treatments. I still have some as an emergency back up in case I run out of the microbes treatment. The Digest-it, and the others I mentioned, have live microbes that literally eat the crap out of whatever is is your black, and grey tanks. They are liquid treatments. They also eliminate odors and clean your tanks top to bottom and keep your sensors clean and working properly. Any sludge built up, no matter how hard, will be gone in a matter of days, to a week max. They also break down TP big time. Even with Happy Camper, I would sometimes see tiny bits of TP when I would empty my tank. Now, its nothing but liquid. Having used the microbes treatment I’ll never go back. I was having sensor issues occasionally using chemical treatments. Not any more. I would highly recommend trying it for several trips. Once you empty your tanks be sure to add a few gallons of water back in with your treatment. You need probably need 30 minutes or so from last use of toilet to have things mostly broken down. After an hour, nothing but liquid. Long winded, but hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
...The Digest-it, and the others I mentioned, have live microbes that literally eat the crap out of whatever is is your black, and grey tanks. They are liquid treatments.....
Yet Unique makes a powdered form of their product. Just like Happy Camper. How does this compare?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #17
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Not long winded. Great info. Thanks for your insights. I'll give it a try. My tank sensors never work well, so if I could get them to even be close would be fantastic.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #18
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Yet Unique makes a powdered form of their product. Just like Happy Camper. How does this compare?
Don’t know. It it might be a chemical treatment they make? Have to read the specs. I’m using the Camco now and will try the Tanktechrx next. The Unique digest-it worked really well. Just trying to see what, if any, differences there are other than price between the three. Reviews say there are some differences, but not much, but I’m going to find out for myself.