Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #101
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Hey guys, go to this web page for actual results.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #102
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Neat!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:13 AM   #103
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Winchester AA 7.5 target load does work in a Winchester Model 140 automatic. While it does not have the knockdown of 00 buckshot. I do not believe anyone is going to stick around and discuss pellet penetration if shot from inside the trailer. They will most likely be looking for a hospitol. If they were lucky enough to be wearing a leather jacket The percussion would in that close of range would knock them down.
Most pump shotguns hold 5 rounds. first 3 #7.5 shot last 2 #2 shot. Why #2, it is a hunting load. The arguement can be made the gun was loaded for bird hunting #7.5 was for while they were in close range and the #2 for when they fly off. #2 will definetly take care of a problem in that close of range. A slick Lawyer will make the point that the only reason to use #00 buckshot is to kill. No I am not a treehugging liberal that does not believe in violating a criminals rights. Personally my beliefe is that if you violate my personal rights you relinquish your rights to protection. But I do not want to end up in prison either.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:17 AM   #104
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Garin1..Thanks..just about verifies what I had assumed about the "light load" round.Still think it will be Ok for the Camper defense..The bad guy does not know you are using light loads and..it WILL leave a mark. I have done similar test at the range using regular loads..you know the so many pellets on the target at so many feet test. That is a good site..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:48 AM   #105
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

... Most pump shotguns hold 5 rounds. first 3 #7.5 shot last 2 #2 shot. Why #2, it is a hunting load. The arguement can be made the gun was loaded for bird hunting #7.5 was for while they were in close range and the #2 for when they fly off...
Rick, your birds fly slower than mine do. #7.5 is the 1st round - maybe 2nd - the #4s from then on.

Now that I think about it... My dad used to complain to me when I was growing up in pheasant country (SW MI in the '60s) that I would be on my 3rd shot with my 16 ga pump before others had their gun up. I caught myself a few times "getting the first shot off just get the gun acclimated to my shoulder. Always used the 2nd and 3rd shot to get serious about bringing the bird down.

Then I switched to a Spanish 20 ga double - beautiful gun - and I had to retrain myself, as a few times I sat and watched the bird flying away (still in range), and I was all done with my 2 rounds.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #106
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Yes it is true that most pump shotguns hold 5 rounds if you remove the factory installed plug. In a lot of states including ILL where I am from that is illegal, three rounds max. As far as all this testing, if you want to use bird shot on a intruder thats up to you, IMHO you are asking for trouble. In all my training I have never been instructed to maime or injure. If ever in a position that I feel deadly force is justified that is what it is going to be, deadly. When you pull the trigger on that shot gun it doesnt matter what load you have in it, its deadly force. and if you cant hit what you are aiming at inside your home you should not be using it. If you hit what you are aiming at no shot is going to go outside you trailer.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:27 AM   #107
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just attempting to address all the if's. a L.E.O is trained to react under pressure it is a way of life with them.The average person is not and I or my wife, although trained in the use of firearms may not react to a deadly force situation as well as a trained L.E.O. I would like to keep that Deadly force confined to the inside of the camper or the house If possible..My first round may be a light load but the second one is 00 buckshot..
Old 02-12-2006, 02:46 PM   #108
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I wanted to read all of the responses before I weighed in on the subject. As an avid sportsman, I have spent many hours at the range and in the field. I reload for everything from handgun to shotgun. This week I was at the trap/5 stand range four times. While I often travel with protection, it is almost always locked away. I never discuss the fact that I am carrying with anyone. For most of us, a weapon would be a last resort. The key word is intruder. They would need to be inside the trailer, and I would have already dialed 911 and would be waiting for them to handle it. At home, weapons are in a safe separated from shells. A shotgun bolt makes a very distinctive sound, especially in the dark. Loaded or not, a person would need to be crazy befoe they attempted to see if the gun was actually loaded. Most of all, it would have to be to protect more than just property. I would hate to be standing in front of the Creator explaining how I shot someone over property. That's why the Creator invented insurance.

For our Canadian friends, I know that many people come to your country to hunt and the laws are fairly straight forward as long as you do the paperwork ahead of time. And traveling to Alaska is no different, as long as you confine yourself to long guns (rifles/shotguns) and once again complete the paperwork.

As for Illinois, I believe that the rule on plugs is only for hunting, and then only for certain species. For example, pheasant is limited but during the Conservation Action on Snow Geese, I believe you do not need a plug.

Finally, I was very pleased to see the civil tone from everyone on a hot button topic. I know that not everyone shares the love of hunting and the shooting sports, but this post has been very respectful. I guess that is just in keeping with the spirit of Montana owners.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #109
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Migratory fowl (ducks, geese, woodcock, etc) are a mandatory 3 shot maximum gun (w/ plug for pump/semi-auto). I thought everything else was 5 shots. It is is Mich, thought that was a universal rule across most states, but I have been know to be wrong before.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #110
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
I know most of this discussion is centered on firearms right now, but originally the topic was "protecting" oneself. So to that end I offer some other kinds of deterents that our solo ladies might be interested in. I read somewhere about a lady RVer who traveled alone and had a recording of a very large dog barking and growling as if trying to get at someone. She occasionally played it at loud volume when evening set in and/or she saw someone walking by or hanging around. That and the large dog dish by her front step provided the illusion to others that she had "protection." Another lady simply set a large pair of men's boots outside by her step to create the impression she was not alone. Of course these don't necessarily work with actual confrontations or break-ins but might cause some to eliminate that rig as a target.
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:19 PM   #111
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Having subscribed to the adage that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," I like the way you think, Ronnilu. My mother-in-law used her initials in any publicly displayed name, such as on the mail box, to give the impression that there was a male in her house. She lived alone in that rural setting for thirty years safelty using those kinds of defensive illusions.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:05 AM   #112
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
ronnilu points are well taken..We always leave the tv or radio or some lights on when away.Same at home or in a hotel/motel room.We plan to adapt a home alarm system to the camper.There are many things one can do to encourage a would be bad guy to seek a easier target. If the camper looks like it is occupied the average bad guy will move on.All of these deterrents should be considered and used in lieu of or in addition to firearms. The truth is that the probability that I will be the victim of violence is very small..however it does happen to many many folks just like me everyday and the fact that many of us are seniors puts us at greater risk as we are considered easier targets. In a way I am disappointed in our system and society in that we feel they can not adequately protect us and must take measures to protect ourselves in whatever manner we deem necessary. we "choose not to be a victim"

m
Old 02-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #113
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Just a couple of "don'ts". Don't advertise about a weapon in your rig. Some local communities have very specific laws that supercede any state laws. We've all seen the signs, This vehicle protected by Smith and Wesson. And of course the last "don't" is DO NOT go Quail hunting with the Vice President.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #114
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
... and DON'T unexpectantly move to another positon without letting your bird (or ANY game) hunting partner know where you are at.

Or, at least if you do... make sure your partner only has a 28 ga with bird shot in order to limit the damage that's about to be caused by your stupidity...
Old 02-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #115
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
As mentioned by Rames14, the bolt or slide action of a shotgun makes a very distinctive sound. I would think the sound would be enough to make an intruder think twice about his next move.
Be ready and careful.

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #116
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Of course, another reason not to advertise that you have a weapon in your rig is that it attracts bad guys. Thieves love to steal them.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #117
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Unfortunately not everyone knows that sound.

I would think rock salt loads if they still make them. Diffidently for defense protection not killing. Another point to consider is the states laws concerning self-defense. Have a friend in prison now, because the intruder had no weapon and the state also said was other way out or another form for protection then weapon made for killing.

Ken
Its the way selfdefense laws differ from area to area that concerns me.

Me If I heard them coming in or they were in and had the shotgun a shot would be throught the roof first. Then and only then the shot to kill. That reminded me it was that lack of the warning shot that I think the DA really pushed it.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #118
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In Ohio it may not be justifiable to kill over protection of "property" It is a gray area. I sat on Jury much like the case above.What got the home owner off the hook was the question Did you feel that your life was in danger at the time.. The home owner made that statement to the Police at the time of the incident and that is what saved her from prison time.She was protecting life and Limb(hers and her daughters) not property although the intruder was a thief and armed (knife). I would not like to be in such a position...
Old 02-18-2006, 05:11 PM   #119
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6....
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #120
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I've seen that before, scattershot. Seems to be a dominant theme, here...