Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 10:32 PM   #61
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A inexpessive motion detector hung on the door that emits a loud alarm when the door is moved is a huge help.We are going to have an alarm system installed on our camper.One has to take whatever measures they feel are needed to protect themselves and loved ones. It does not always happen to the other guy,,it can and will happen to you.. sad.. but true.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:23 AM   #62
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sue, we did have to open our slides when we reentered the US. It could always happen when you're entering Canada, too.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:27 AM   #63
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ya all can keep your guns and alarm sytems and extra locks and such. I'll keep the 4 guard dogs, errr, yorkies. If ya park next to me at a park in the future, please be warned that I do take them out several times at night to go potty, please don't shoot me! Life is a gamble, I will not spend it being paranoid and arming myself, each to his own, that is our way. Yorks Rule!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:01 AM   #64
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Paranoia has nothing to do with it! Just because someone choses to own a firearm for protection does not mean he/she has a mental disorder. I do not sit around thinking everyone is out to get me. I chose to protect myself if someone (or more likely, something) threatens me. I have had bears give me one hell of a scare in the middle of the night. It didn't come down to killing it but it was close. I felt a lot better with that shot gun than I would have felt with any dog I've lived with. Besides I would have been worried about the dog. I would rather carry that shotgun with us on every trip and never use it than need it once and not have it.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:07 AM   #65
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

Paranoia has nothing to do with it? Just because someone choses to own a firearm for protection does not mean he/she has a mental disorder. I do not sit around thinking everyone is out to get me. I chose to protect myself if someone (or more likely ,something) threatens me. I have had bears give me one hell of a scare in the middle of the night. It didn't come down to killing it but it was close. I felt a lot better with that shot gun than I would have felt with any dog I've lived with. Besides I would have been worried about the dog. I would rather carry that shotgun with us on every trip and never use it than need it once and not have it.
Like he said..Like he said
Old 01-26-2006, 04:14 AM   #66
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
LIKE HE SAID TOO.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:19 AM   #67
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Carol, I think those yorkies would do a pretty good job of protecting you. Also, better than a sticker on the door...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:01 AM   #68
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I ditto Dennis. We are more worried about something than we are someone. I've never shot a person or aim a gun at one. I have shot animals (deer, rabbit, etc.) which we then ate. Not sure I'd eat a bear but I'd probably shoot it if I thought we were in danger.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:22 AM   #69
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
I’m with Sweetfire.
Life is a gamble, but I would rather hedge my bets.
We'll be armed.
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:51 AM   #70
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Owned guns all my life and know and respect them and what they can do. I have a 357 Colt in my truck and have only once needed it for protection. The Memphis Riots of 1969.
I have guns in my stick home so I shall have guns in my other home.
My son used my 38 to scare off a robber one day in the middle of the afternoon. The guy came into the hourse while my son Michael was in the shower. Michael came out of the shower leaving the water running and went to the closet and got the gun. The man ran out of the house with Michael chasing him (naked). No shots were fired. Michael went back into the house and called the police telling them he had run the man off with a gun. The police only heard a "Man with a Gun" and came with lights and alarms. No problems with the law. Never found the man.

I don't let anyone know or make a big deal of it. I will not cross a border with one and take a chance with the law.

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:39 AM   #71
Montana_5225

M.O.C. #5225
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

There was a time in my life when I thought I could protect me and mine. I was a recon Marine with plenty of training. I had that mental attitude that I now call "naive invincibility". Those who say the laws will not protect you are correct, but I contend, in my old age, I cannot really protect myself. With my 30.06, I can still put 5 rounds into a target 200 yards away that you can cover with the palm of your hand. But under stress with a human target, I don't know.

This isn't the Old West. I am not a quick draw artist. By the time I remembered where I put it and the ammunition for it, got it loaded and ready to fire, I would already be up to my ears in alligators. The event may be over before I am ready to start. I really don't like the odds. Mind you, I am not a passivist, rather a pragmatist.

Maybe I am a cynic. I don't really trust the retirement funds of these large corporations or the government to "take care of me". Even though I use the financial institutions, i.e., banks, savings and loans, etc., I can conceive of situations where they may not be able to protect my assets. Even though I don't feel treatened anywhere I go, this is an unsafe world if a perpetrator is determined. The only safety I can find is in my faith and trust in my creator.
Montana_5225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:41 AM   #72
Montana_5225

M.O.C. #5225
Amen to Whom you put your trust.
mcarth
Montana_5225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:56 AM   #73
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I'm a firm believer in being able to protect your loved ones and property. I support the NRA and the right to carry etc.
But while reading these posts, I had this thought....for those who do carry weapons in your RV and you decide to use it - what happens if you miss your target? The people in the next several RVs are now in danger of being struck by a bullet. Not a good situation!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:31 AM   #74
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

I'm a firm believer in being able to protect your loved ones and property. I support the NRA and the right to carry etc.
But while reading these posts, I had this thought....for those who do carry weapons in your RV and you decide to use it - what happens if you miss your target? The people in the next several RVs are now in danger of being struck by a bullet. Not a good situation!

Glad you brought that up.We at a 'RV security" seminar last year. and that subject came up.It is NOT a good idea to have a high velocity large caliber firearm in a RV.I have a 357 Mag and if discharged in my Rv and I missed it might penetrate several Rv's down the line. Besides you will be at very close range inside the RV. A good Defensive arm would be a short barrel(legal of course) shotgun , I have a Rem 870 12 guage 20 inch barrel loaded with Target loads..It would deter the bad guy and probably would not penetrate the Rv wall much, if at all, if you missed. Also a handgun in 380 Cal might be a wise choice. In the RV case bigger is NOT better.

Old 01-28-2006, 05:48 AM   #75
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Most cases, I doubt you would have to actually pull the trigger. Keep your head and use common sense in a situation like this and by having an intruder "staring down the barrel" is all that would be necessary to end any danger to you or your loved one in most cases. Remember (and any law enforcement here could add to this), most breakin thieves do not carry weapons. There goal is to get in and get out. their main weapon is flight. They do not generally think,"If the owner confronts me, at least I can take him out." I am not sure, but that type of criminal would be the majority of our concerns. Muggers, rapists, child molesters, bank robbers - although not a impossibility of contact in our RV lifestyle - would not be our main concern.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:31 AM   #76
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Drugs..bad guys after $ for their next buy are the most common and most dangerous and the ones we are most likly to encounter as Rv'ers are considered " easy targets" The person needing $ for their next fix are not rational and will not follow any "rule" of encounter. They will take anything that they can trade for value and will kill for 10.00. They have no value for life and will kill without hesitation . Drugs rob them of any humanity. I have some experience working with these folks and Of know of what I speak.I do trust in my creator.I trust that he will allow no harm to come to myself and my loved ones and that he will provide for us..In this case in the form of a Remington 870 12 Guage, 18Inch barrel loaded with target loads.. Just in case...
Old 01-28-2006, 06:57 AM   #77
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Drugs..bad guys after $ for their next buy are the most common and most dangerous and the ones we are most likly to encounter as Rv'ers are considered " easy targets" The person needing $ for their next fix are not rational and will not follow any "rule" of encounter. They will take anything that they can trade for value and will kill for 10.00. They have no value for life and will kill without hesitation . Drugs rob them of any humanity. I have some experience working with these folks and Of know of what I speak.
Not flight controllers in the FAA, I hope, Rich... Don't answer that!

*On Edit~ Thought you were on an all day charter?
Old 01-28-2006, 07:22 AM   #78
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did work in the Drug and alcohol program within the FAA and that is where I learned about the evils of drugs and what they will do to folks and how they cause them to act. No organization , profession, social class, ethnic backround, religon, gender, age .. is immune from drug addiction and its effects.Actually random drug testing within the Department of transpotation showed a figure way below the so called norm..But my major involvement was outside of the Government.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:52 AM   #79
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
In my 35 years of being an Air Traffic Controller I have only seen one person caught by random drug/alcohol testing and that was for alcohol.

Owning and using a firearm means a lot more than knowing where the bullets go in and where they come out. Operating a car, boat, or flying an aircraft can be just as lethal to the operator and those around him. There are many, many things to consider when using any of these things. Knowledge, training and experiance are the key. I do not consider using any or these types of things lightly. They are tools. They do not cause things to happen. The person operating the tool is the one responsible for the outcome of the situation.

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, strong opinions both ways on this topic. You will not convince anyone on either side to change their mind so why bother or fuss over it. The person who chooses not to own or use a firearm is right. The person who chooses to own a firearm is also right. Neither is an idiot or a monster. They are just exercising free choice. Get over it.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #80
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
We have Lexus and Glock. Lexus is a Pit Bull we travel with and if they get by her I think Glock needs no introduction.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote