Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2006, 03:59 AM   #1
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The two hoses protruding from the bottom are the hot water and cold water line "low point" drains. They are used to drain the water from the entire system (not the WH). You will also find down there somewhere a single drain for the fresh water tank.

I only have the Suburban 6 gal. WH, but the following should still apply.

The ONLY way to drain the WH is through the anode hole.

Be sure the WH bypass is open - this is the bypass which may be used when winterizing so you don't have to put the pink antifreeze in the WH, too. ALWAYS be sure there is water in the tank before turning on the electric or you will ruin the element. Regardless of what the manual says, many folks use the electric AND the propane at the same time to get faster hot water recovery.

For the propane to light, the switch on your system monitor guage must be on. Always open the propane valve at your tank very slowly so the OPD doesn't automatically shut off the gas (a safety feature in case of a bad leak). The rest is all automatic.

For the electric to work, both the outside switch (behind the outside access panel) and the inside breaker must be on. I leave the outside on all the time and use the circuit breaker to turn it off between trips (I have a 110 hookup at home). This will probably eventually weaken the breaker - there is a thread under "improvements" on adding an inside on/off switch.

I see no reason (and never have)turned off the electric just for travel since I'm not hooked up to 110.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote