Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #21
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdrd View Post
Hi , I am on the fence about getting a puppy, would love to train it to be a hearing dog. I would get a non- shedder. A puppy b/c we have grandkids living with us and afraid of a rescue with kids. We we travel, we mostly travel alone. However not sure if we want the expense , responsibility. Training, walking early in the-am, ran, snow, etc; Would appreciate both positive and negative comments.
Nothing negative about owning a dog..........we originally purchased out first fifth wheel trailer 16 years ago FOR our 2 greyhounds.

Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:21 PM   #22
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Non-shedders require grooming, usually every 4 to 6 weeks. Shedders will require a lot of vacuuming in the trailer. The best non-shedders are poodle/poodle mixes, Maltase, Havanese - depends if you want a smaller dog or a big dog. We have a Yorkipoo (small) our daughter has a Goldipoo (large).
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:05 AM   #23
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Dogs are like DRW's not everyone needs one. No dog means no picking up poop. Big plus in my view. But then again most and I mean most never pick up after there dog., Most dog owners are not responsible dog owners ether. All that barking and pooping just makes you wonder why we made dogs pets. At least cats go in a box but you still have to pick that thing up and hold your nose at the same time. Ever own a dog when you had kids? it wasn't long and they got tired of walking the dog and the poop LOL
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #24
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
You definitely have to be ready for the responsibility. Our Border Collie is a great traveler BUT, when we visit national parks it's always a question of can we take him; is it too hot to leave him in the RV or truck, enquiring and arranging for doggie daycare, and associated expenses.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #25
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
............ Most dog owners are not responsible dog owners ether. ..............
Would have to disagree with you on this one. There is certainly no shortage of irresponsible pet owners. But as is the usual case, those bad eggs in the minority of most anything get noticed more and give all others a bad reputation.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #26
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Would have to disagree with you on this one. There is certainly no shortage of irresponsible pet owners. But as is the usual case, those bad eggs in the minority of most anything get noticed more and give all others a bad reputation.
Funny thing i don't have a dog but every so often I step in dog poop. It has to be a neighbor. Then there are the people that bring there dog to restaurants. What the he77 is that for? Then there is a car show I go to in September and it's usually 80+ and here are these poor dogs standing on the hot assault street. I was at a beach in Virginia and there was this lady with a dog on a leash. Poor dog was getting drowned by every wave because she was standing in the water. Dog couldn't be more than 6" tall. Then the dog that bit me at a camp ground. That guy took off for the rest of the day after I got bit. He didn't even come to see if I was ok. Sheriff made him come back LOL. Guy never said sorry.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #27
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I think you answered it yourself. Don't get a pet.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #28
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
We have 2 English Bull Dog's that travel with us everywhere. I would not be without a dog. If I want to walk and Sofia is working or busy doing something I have a buddy to go out with. I just love dog's. and if yo do this PLEASE, i beg you rescue a dog. All rescue center's will let you work with a dog to see how they will react with your family and kids. They need homes really bad. Both my bully's are rescues and I would not have it any other way.

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #29
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Ditto Charlie 3931fb...........we rescued 4 retired greyhounds since 1996 and they were the reason reason we purchased our first fifth wheel trailer in 2004. In 2012 we rescued our current dog, a Chiweenies mixed breed dog, and still own a fifth wheel trailer. We would rescue another dog but are only allowed one dog up to 20 lbs per household in our community.........so we donate monthly to the Humane Society and ASPCA and encourage our neighbors to rescue a dog.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:42 PM   #30
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Definitely consider rescue. If you want a specific breed then there are specific breed rescue groups. Google your local area. Or local SPCA and animal control/service groups have an assortment of breeds and mixed breeds that make great pets. And all will work with you to get the right pet for the right family. And if, for whatever reason, it doesn’t work out they will take it back. Much better than getting a puppy and finding out it is too much trouble and then wanting to get rid of it and adding another to the homeless.

We are on our third rescue Golden and our daughter on her third rescue mixed breed. And all have been great dogs.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #31
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I understand the need for recue dog adoptions and fully agree. But with that said, be really careful of what you bring home. I can relate four instances out of several of friends or neighbors who have not been happy with their uncontrollable rescue dogs.

Also, be aware that all rescue dogs are not "recues" but consignments from puppy mills both in the US and Puerto Rico and supposedly, Korea. This is also a fact for some, usually, independent pet shops.

Again, yes, a rescue is a great choice, just do you due diligence first.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #32
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Ditto Charlie 3931fb...........we rescued 4 retired greyhounds since 1996 and they were the reason reason we purchased our first fifth wheel trailer in 2004. In 2012 we rescued our current dog, a Chiweenies mixed breed dog, and still own a fifth wheel trailer. We would rescue another dog but are only allowed one dog up to 20 lbs per household in our community.........so we donate monthly to the Humane Society and ASPCA and encourage our neighbors to rescue a dog.
I do 3 rescue society, Humane and ASPCA are 1. Bully dog's USA, they are where I adopted our 2 Bully's from, And Noah's Ark Rescue Ranch, they are for all live stock and farm animal rescue. They rescue a lot of horse's.

I am not saying it is easy to rescue any animal, but when they have been abused and they find them self in a loving home they will change. Had that happen twice

Old 07-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #33
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We love our Chihuahua and the one that recently past as well. I totally disagree that most dog owners are not responsible. I know that is not true for us. We have made all sorts of sacrifices and accommodations for our pups. We have been rewarded with unconditional love and companionship.

Having said that, when our current pup passes we will likely not get another one at least for a while. They are a MAJOR commitment and interfere with travel plans and such, particularly if you fly or go on cruises and such. So they are decidedly not for everyone! Think long and hard about it.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #34
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
We rescued many dogs in the past but now our grand kids have allergies and we cannot take a chance with a non hypo allergetic dog so I think our only recourse is a breeder. Unless someone has any ideas.
hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:20 PM   #35
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdrd View Post
We rescued many dogs in the past but now our grand kids have allergies and we cannot take a chance with a non hypo allergetic dog so I think our only recourse is a breeder. Unless someone has any ideas.
I do right here. Called Ginger's rescue. She has all hypo dog breed's

https://www.gingerspetrescue.org/hyp...ic-dog-breeds/

Hope you can find one that you all fall in love with.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #36
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Our dogs are better behaved than most kids. Actually, better than some of our grandkids. If in doubt about a pet, then don't.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #37
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Our dogs are better behaved than most kids. Actually, better than some of our grandkids. If in doubt about a pet, then don't.
WELL SAID Mountain Man.....

Tags
puppy, responsibility