Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #1
Gpwyatt
Established Member

M.O.C. #26106
Yep, pretty much what I expected.

Picked up my new 2020 3854BR at camping world in Rapid City SD on Tuesday evening. Made the deal on the previous Thursday. Very happy with purchase price after spending a week sending out online bid request to numerous dealers for same RV with exactly the same features/options. Drove 5 hrs one way to pick it up 4 days after the purchase. Hired a RVIA inspector to assist with the PDI. Found about 8 pages of issues. Some large, many minor and to be expected. What I learned is that the trailer had not been looked at since it was delivered about 5 mos before. Just winterized. No body at CW bothered to make sure the trailer was ready for me to pick up. Biggest issue found was hail damage to both air conditioner fins, sloppy roof sealant with bubbles, leaking toilet, cabinet door fell off when opened, door latch hardware put on backwards so door was not lockable, barn doors not properly aligned and adjusted, and many other lack of QA follow-up. Like I said, I expected this from CW. Stayed a day and a half to have as much repaired as possible. Agreed to have the cooling fins straightened then would order replacements for a dealer in Co to install. Closing time on the second day I’m told it’s detailed and ready to go. All ready they said! Of course not. By the time I looked over the list of things to fix the salesman is gone for the day and the place is closed. I climb up on roof and find that only the rear AC unity fins were straightened. Never touched the front. Now, I know it’s winter for me still and I really won’t be using the AC until the new one is installed but it’s really the communication that matters to me. You tell me you will do something and it’s done I take you at your word. Not doing what you say destroys confidence. On the bright side, they did comp me about $500 worth of stuff from the store. Nice people just really don’t give a crap about the delivery of the product or the customer satisfaction. If you truly did you would make delivery PDI’s a priority before the customer arrives so you can at least get started ordering any need parts. Oh, the detail job never touched the inside. Finger prints and marks and saw dust everywhere. To summarize, CW lived up to its on line reputation but I do think the trailer is very functional and the interior fit and finish is not bad.

Gpwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
One thing about Camping World, they live up to there reputation. I bought one and done [sob] in 2013 and will never buy or refer anyone to them. This is one company that needs to close down and let the smaller mom and pop businesses take over. They are a disgrace to the rv industry.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Sounds like they were hoping you'd come rushing in, finish the paper work on the sale, hitch up and get, saving them the time and employee salary time to prep the trailer for delivery to the buyer. They were not counting on you to inspect it. Oops! THEY got caught with their pants down and it backfired! So, they had to scramble to accommodate you and get the unit off their lot before you could figure out what was really going on.

It is the dealer's responsibility to prep the unit before the buyer takes possession. Some are good at it, some are not. Personally, I'd never use Camping World for anything, other than walking in to their parts store and picking up an item, paying for it, and walking out. More than that, and I'd go somewhere else. I've had 5 RV type purchases in my life now. None were Camping World because of the many, many, many negative posts and items of feedback I've come across over years (and years, and years).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
You said the ac's will be installed in CO. I hope that isn't Lazy Days in Aurora, you think CW is bad.
Air Lift 5000 airbags
GILAELKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
Gpwyatt
Established Member

M.O.C. #26106
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILAELKHUNTER View Post
You said the ac's will be installed in CO. I hope that isn't Lazy Days in Aurora, you think CW is bad.
I’m going to install my self this summer. I have zero confidence in the quality of any repairs they would do. The guy that gave me the walk through to explain the systems and demo stuff was super nice guy and seemed knowledgeable. When we got to the closet with the washer/dryer hook up I asked about where to place the dryer vent. He pointed to an area near the sticker advising cut here and he said , I’d put it here. You might nick a brace but it’ll be ok. That’s all I needed to hear. I’d rather pay out of pocket and just forget about any warranty if I have to have the CW shops work on it. I know some are better than others which is true for most things but in the RV world it’s most often that substandard work is the standard.
Gpwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote