Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2004, 05:27 PM   #1
Montana_2360

M.O.C. #2360
5th Wheel Hitch

Our first venture into 5th wheels. We are matching up a 2980RL with an 05 Super Duty F350, Diesel Dually. The Montana dealer is offering a Hijacker hitch as part of the package. I have read here and elsewhere about the "inherent rattle-clank-bang" of towing fifth wheels and would like to avoid that if possible. I am wondering if the Hijacker has the mechanism to prevent the rattle-clang-bang or if I should be looking at other manufacturers. I notice the B&W specifically states it dampens the problem.

Montana_2360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:45 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jculver, I hope I have good news for you, if you have the builtin brake controller. I recently read a tow test of the new '05 with the controller. They said they tested with the builtin controller and had none of that clanking at all. They then installed an aftermarket controller and there was the clanking. If I recall, they did this test a couple of times to be sure. They said braking with the builtin controller is unbelievably smooth once you adjust the gain per the manual. We also have an '05 with the builtin controller but won't tow with it until January. I'm really anxious to try it for myself.

By the way, great choice of trucks. You'll hardly even know that 2980 is back there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #3
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I tow the same model with a Dodge. I have a Lil' Rocker hitch. I have never experienced the "rattle clang bang" you describe. I don't have "locking jaws" or any of the other features some hitches have, I just have a bar that slams shut across the back of of kingpin. When it slams shut, I know Miss Montana ready to go. (Of course I always to a test, as everyone should, just to be sure)

I use a Prodigy brake controller. I did experience some jerking, when braking, but found it if I filled the fresh water tank about half full the problem went away. I think that was more of a weight distribution problem than a hitch problem.

I love my Lil' Rocker. It's not as expensive as many with bigger names, but it does the job and does it well. (No affiliation)
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
Montana_2360

M.O.C. #2360
Thanks Steve and fla native. I am little nervious about going 5th wheel. We have pulled a 27 foot TT with a 1991 Dodge Diesel for 13 years and it has never missed a beat so to move into something completely new and much more complicated is a little scary for an old guy. We have looked at new trailers for three years and have always come back to the Montana 2980 RL. The new Ford was the result of one test drive and then getting back into the old Dodge to drive home. Thanks again - Jim
Montana_2360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think you'll find towing the fifthwheel is actually easier, especially on the nerves. Hitching is probably easy, too, just different.

Fla Native, I used to have a Lil Rocker, too (nice hitch, by the way) but had the clanking in it, too (and in my RBW and this Reese). The clanking is because of braking differences between tow vehicle and trailer. There's always a little slop in the hitch, just can't get away from that. When brakes are adjusted properly the clanking is minimized but an extra hard stop can still produce it. And then the takeoff from a stop after that stop often gives you another clank as the pin and hitch readjust. I found with the Prodigy controller we had far less of this nuisance noise but it was still there occasionally. But I'm really anxious to see how it is with the new builtin controller.

One tip is to always check after hitching to make sure the jaws are closed or the bar is fully across the hitch, depending on construction of your hitch. You don't want the truck to pull out and drop the FW on the bedrails. Don't mean to scare you, that is very rare. Just something you can do to "make sure". Kind of like when you lift up on the TT hitch to make sure the ball is locked in.

BJ, interesting note on the water in the tank. Weight distribution probably plays a role.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #6
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I have the Pullrite Super 5th, not the slider, and it only has .030 clearence around the pin. No noise when starting or stopping.
http://www.pullrite.com/
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #7
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
When we bought our Monty, were told that buying a teflon disc that fits around the hitch pin will reduce the noise in addition to acting as a lubricant. This being our first 5er, didn't seem to notice any banging or clanging.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:35 PM   #8
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
When we bought our Monty, were told that buying a teflon disc that fits around the hitch pin will reduce the noise in addition to acting as a lubricant. This being our first 5er, didn't seem to notice any banging or clanging.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:19 PM   #9
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
I pull with a PUTNAM FIRE HAWK 2 hitch with a 2005 F350 SUPERDUTY and not only does it remove the noise but it dampens most of the jerking motion that you get on rough roads.It is a 23,000 pound fifth wheel and goose neck combanation hitch.The head of the fifth wheel sits down over two premolded neopreme bushings that absorb a lot of the road shock as well as the motion that you receive in stopping and starting.
The new intergrated brake controller on the 05 ford f350 is really super.You don't experance any of the grabing motion like on other controllers.
You may find that most hitch manufactures don't have the new mounts for fifth wheel hitches made yet.The 04 and back WILL NOT WORK on the 05's.The frame is completely different and won't match previous mounts.A friend of mine had to fabricate the mounts needed,if anyone needs a picture let me know.
Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Eagleone, are you saying the older hitches don't fit on the '05 Fords? Our Ford dealer removed our hitch from our '03 and put it in the '05. Since the old mounting bars were both welded and bolted I assume he had to use new bars. He didn't say anything about problems mounting it, though. Ours is a Reese. You're right the frame is completely different, though. I think I'll wander outside and take a look underneath. I won't crawul under, though, 'cause it's raining.

We've used a teflon disk for years but never noticed any difference in the banging. I suppose the teflon doesn't slide as easily as metal on metal so maybe that's what they're saying. But almost 14k pounds pushing on it back there does tend to move it sometimes. I find the discussion on the different hitches interesting. Sounds like technology is at work on hitches too. Now if I can just find a way to justify a new superglide...

Eagleone, are you saying the older hitches don't fit on the '05 Fords? Our Ford dealer removed our hitch from our '03 and put it in the '05. Since the old mounting bars were both welded and bolted I assume he had to use new bars. He didn't say anything about problems mounting it, though. Ours is a Reese. You're right the frame is completely different, though. I think I'll wander outside and take a look underneath. I won't crawul under, though, 'cause it's raining.

We've used a teflon disk for years but never noticed any difference in the banging. I suppose the teflon doesn't slide as easily as metal on metal so maybe that's what they're saying. But almost 14k pounds pushing on it back there does tend to move it sometimes. I find the discussion on the different hitches interesting. Sounds like technology is at work on hitches too. Now if I can just find a way to justify a new superglide...

--edited-- hmmm, took a look and don't see any difference from the way it was mounted in the '03. Just normal looking mounting L brackets. Were the ones your friend fabricated just L brackets or something special?