Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
print6800

M.O.C. #9754
Correct Max Temperature Setting for Tire Monitor

I bought the TST tire monitoring system at Camping World two weeks ago. I posted my purchase price in the other thread. It was easy to install and seems to work well for pressure monitoring. However, I have no idea what the maximum temperature settings should be. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank You!
Bill

print6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I can not remember what mine is set for on the high side but I do know I changed the temp from F to C because 80F and 80lbs of pressure were confusing which was which.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
My question is do you get 8,4,or 6 censors system,and why do you need them for TV? I am going to get the TST system the same time as new tires. Any suggestions
Thanks!

David(bear) in beautiful Coeur D Alene
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:53 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
David,

I got them for all tires. With the dually the inside tires of the dually are easy to miss. Actually any of the duals will not show low pressure. You have to use a tire gauge. I can check the tire pressure by pushing a button stepping through the tires. If a (10 lb loss) leak develops I know it immediately.

If you only get the sensors for the trailer tires include the spare. If you accept the value of monitoring the tire you never really look at then you will add the spare for the TV.

The nice thing is you can add the TV tires later if you want.

If you think you will add them later then I suggest having the clamp down valve stems installed when you change tires. I did that for my truck but found I had to pull the wheel covers off the front tires because the stem is too short and the sensor too large for the opening on the chromed plastic covers.

As they say prior plan helps. Your question is a good one and you are doing the prior planning.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
John,

Thanks ,I forgot about spare tire. O well out sight out of mine!!!!!!!!!

David
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I punctured a tire on the truck and because of the sensors on the truck tire I was able to stop before damage was done to the tire.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #7
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
Well kind a got off the subject of Temp. and were adding more sensors. Still waiting to hear more about what to set the Temp. for on TST system. I tow a lot out West in the summer and the outside temp is always better then 100*.

Steve
Sgrob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
It would seem like manufacturers should have some have a table of pressure/temperature for their tires. I haven't looked yet , but will. I started out today at 76PSI with ambient temp 54 and when ambient OSA got to 69 and I went about 50 miles pressure was 82 psi. I did not check tire temp. So what is the max pressure for a tire that is rated at 80 psi cold??? Does the TPMS have a high pressure alarm??
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've heard no more than 120 on the temp. Tires in summer driving can get higher than 100. Check with "Orv". I believe he has posted some real numbers. I could not find the prior posts that also said some members had called one of the vendors and this was what they suggested. If a tire is low and it is ready to go, I think it will get hotter than 120 before it goes, but the air pressure should alarm before that.

The tire temp can increase if a brake or bearing is overheating which I think the temp was more intended to catch.

Keeps us posted on your experience.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
A while back someone wanted to know about the heat of the tires when traveling. We have the Pressure Pro System that we like but it doesn't display tire temperature. So I purchased a laser thermometer from Home Depot ($40). Now when we stop at a rest stop I periodically check the tire temperatures. When the tire pressures are about 92 psi, I have found the temperatures to be at or around 90-93° F. That's with starting out from 80 psi cold.

I'm not saying this is what your temperatures should be, but just giving this information in case someone would like to know from a practical standpoint what they may expect.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I found... something! In the archives... Do a search of 185 for member virgil47 and goto page 3 and scan down a bit.

Boy was I off by a few degrees. Virgil47 posted this May 20, 2008 on page 3 of the topic "Tire Pressure" in the "General Discussions..." category.. I copied and pasted this cuz I'm not good at getting a direct link and want to avoid others have to hunt for it like I went through. So please trust this is a cut and past of his forum entry. This is in regards to temperature.

*************Inserted text from Virgil47************

I learned the following from a tire technician on another forum (Escapees).

"Dangerous temperatures on ANY tire are 185+. Normal operating temps are 100-175f(depending on road conditions(asphalt,concrete,bumpy,smooth)and ambient temp. Tires will start to delaminate on the top belts at approx 210 degrees f,they will fail at 235 F.
When you take infra red readings,always take them from about 1/2 - 1" from the outer and inner edges of the tire,this is the area in which a tire will retain the most heat It is what the manufacturers call the belt edge region."

***********End of Insert********

I hope this helps, but I would want to know if any one of my wheels is getting hotter than any others before it reached 185. Maybe start at 150, then adjust from there.

Thoughts, anyone?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
mduf
Established Member

M.O.C. #10411
I drove about 80 miles on a warm day. Checked my tires on TV with a temp. sensor and they were around 136F.
mduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #13
lakejumper

M.O.C. #8080
Here is a thread from another forum where one of the owners of TST talks about his product. It answers a few good questions about settings, why the read-out stays on one tire longer than others, etc.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f256/tst-tpms-systems-69471.html

Hope this helps,

lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote