Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Tire story on our last trip

3 weeks ago we decided to head out for the first time this year. For various reasons we have not been able to go. Covid lock down, dog not doing well and then passing away, weather, etc. It was always something. So we headed to Lake Buchanan in central Texas for a few days. We decided on staying at a different place than our usual RV spot which is on a golf course. It was called Big Chief RV Resort. Overall we liked the place though internet was a bit sketchy. On the third day our dance card was open so we decided to head to Fredericksburg, TX for a visit. As I'm driving the truck I noticed a bad vibration. I stopped in a bank parking lot in Llano but didn't see anything out of the norm. The lugs were tight and nothing seemed loose. Rather than pressing on, we went back to a tire shop I knew about in Kingsland. The old boy took the truck and came back in less than 5 minutes. He looked at both front tires and then told me I had belt separation in both tires. Looking at it more closely I could see how both tires had a odd shape. If you went real slow without touching the steering wheel, the steering wheel would rock rather dramatically left and right. The guy was honest and said he didn't have any tires my size but recommended to do to Discount Tire in Marble Falls. BTW he did not charge me anything. So off we go to Discount Tire. I only had 19,000 miles on these OEM Nexen tires but now I have lost confidence in them. Discount Tire set me up with 6 Michelin Defender tires. They also gave a $350 credit on the OEM tires. Expensive? Yes but I was happy to have some better tires on the truck. We decided to head back to the Montana because we had enough fun for one day.

The next morning we buttoned up and headed home per schedule. Truck tire readout was good. Fired up the TST monitor for the trailer and those tires were good. Off we go! We were down the road less than 30 minutes when my wife noticed the front passenger trailer tire was loosing air pressure. So she started looking for a tire shop on her phone when I passed Earls Lube and Tire in Bertram. Less than a mile later the TST alarm went off and I pulled into a church parking lot and said we are going back to Earls. While we were waiting for Earl to finish up working on a stock trailer spare, we noticed the top of a hex head bolt squarely centered in the center tread of trailer tire. Earl had a heck of a time extracting the bolt. It was a 3" lag bolt about as big around as your little finger. Needless to say that tire was toast. So Earl put on the spare, gave it some air and $25 later we were heading home. We only lost one hour. My wife said it was a record trip. 3 tire shops and 7 tires in less than 24 hours. All in all it could have been much worse.

I ordered the replacement Sailun from Simple Tire. It arrived yesterday via Fed Ex. This morning I went to a local tire shop and they put it on the rim and did a spin balance for $15. Brought it home, raised the passenger side up using the hydraulic jacks, took the spare off, put the new tire on, torqued the lugs, re-leveled the trailer, put the spare back underneath the trailer. The job was pretty easy and was done in under a hour. It helps having the right tools and working in a garage.

RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Now THAT was a fun trip....and you never even made it to Fredericksburg!! Headed to my BILs funeral about a year ago hit some road debris outside Llano and ruined one of the tires on my SUV. I called Inman's Service Station and they came out after hours (he had just closed) and took care of us. Great guy. Real nice and very helpful so keep that in mind if you're ever in need around there. Also used DT in Marble Falls on that trip and those guys went above and beyond. I think you did good with the Defenders on your truck. That's all I run and I really like them. Told the guy at DT (Tallahassee) last week I wanted to get these OEM Firestone tires off this new truck and get back to Defenders but they had to order them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Wow what an ordeal! Man! tires...can’t live with ‘em can’t live without them!
Since my truck and trailer is about the same age as yours - I feel my number coming up soon. Our trailer has not moved since Dec 31 due to the covid situation, but hope we can go somewhere soon...somewhere close with lots of tire shops...maybe Fredericksburg!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
3 weeks ago we decided to head out for the first time this year. For various reasons we have not been able to go. Covid lock down, dog not doing well and then passing away, weather, etc. It was always something. So we headed to Lake Buchanan in central Texas for a few days. We decided on staying at a different place than our usual RV spot which is on a golf course. It was called Big Chief RV Resort. Overall we liked the place though internet was a bit sketchy. On the third day our dance card was open so we decided to head to Fredericksburg, TX for a visit. As I'm driving the truck I noticed a bad vibration. I stopped in a bank parking lot in Llano but didn't see anything out of the norm. The lugs were tight and nothing seemed loose. Rather than pressing on, we went back to a tire shop I knew about in Kingsland. The old boy took the truck and came back in less than 5 minutes. He looked at both front tires and then told me I had belt separation in both tires. Looking at it more closely I could see how both tires had a odd shape. If you went real slow without touching the steering wheel, the steering wheel would rock rather dramatically left and right. The guy was honest and said he didn't have any tires my size but recommended to do to Discount Tire in Marble Falls. BTW he did not charge me anything. So off we go to Discount Tire. I only had 19,000 miles on these OEM Nexen tires but now I have lost confidence in them. Discount Tire set me up with 6 Michelin Defender tires. They also gave a $350 credit on the OEM tires. Expensive? Yes but I was happy to have some better tires on the truck. We decided to head back to the Montana because we had enough fun for one day.

The next morning we buttoned up and headed home per schedule. Truck tire readout was good. Fired up the TST monitor for the trailer and those tires were good. Off we go! We were down the road less than 30 minutes when my wife noticed the front passenger trailer tire was loosing air pressure. So she started looking for a tire shop on her phone when I passed Earls Lube and Tire in Bertram. Less than a mile later the TST alarm went off and I pulled into a church parking lot and said we are going back to Earls. While we were waiting for Earl to finish up working on a stock trailer spare, we noticed the top of a hex head bolt squarely centered in the center tread of trailer tire. Earl had a heck of a time extracting the bolt. It was a 3" lag bolt about as big around as your little finger. Needless to say that tire was toast. So Earl put on the spare, gave it some air and $25 later we were heading home. We only lost one hour. My wife said it was a record trip. 3 tire shops and 7 tires in less than 24 hours. All in all it could have been much worse.

I ordered the replacement Sailun from Simple Tire. It arrived yesterday via Fed Ex. This morning I went to a local tire shop and they put it on the rim and did a spin balance for $15. Brought it home, raised the passenger side up using the hydraulic jacks, took the spare off, put the new tire on, torqued the lugs, re-leveled the trailer, put the spare back underneath the trailer. The job was pretty easy and was done in under a hour. It helps having the right tools and working in a garage.
WOW! I've got a LOT of tire stories too but I feel better after reading yours. Maybe you're good for a while now after all that. Have bought so many tires at Discount one guy there looked at my past purchases and said I was keeping them in business!
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:47 PM   #5
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
WOW!!!! Sorry to hear about your tire story but that has to be on for the books. We like Big Chief RV Resort. we have stayed there 4 times over that last 6 years. We always try to stay in sites 57, 58, or 59. Deluxe sites right by the pool and hot tub.

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #6
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Feel for you on that experience. At least you caught all the problems before they became catastrophic. Good catches. Tires! We had a trip pulling our boat on a long trip to Lake Powell once, ended up replacing all 4, plus the spare Marabombs on that trip. That experience helped when we went from motoryacht to landyacht
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote