Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
julielm75
Established Member

M.O.C. #27329
Hot water heater help

We have a 2021 Montana HC 377FL that we have had just over a month. Last week I was outside and noticed water dripping from our hot water heater cover. I snapped a picture and sent it to my husband. We never saw it leak or drip again but on Sunday the electric hot water heater would not come on. When we try the gas hot water heater we get the DSI error. My husband has cleaned all around it after watching some YouTube videos, he also checked the fuses and everything looks good but still not working. We are full timers due to husband's job so cannot take it into shop for a bit. Does anyone have any other ideas of what we could check to get this fixed?

julielm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
First, water coming out the door is not unusual. The WH needs an expansion area so that as the water heats (and expands) it has room in the tank to do so. When it doesn't, the pressure causes it to escape through the "pop off" valve and it dribbles out from under the door. Re-establish the expansion area (i.e. don't fill the tank completely) and the dribble should stop.

Has the propane side of the Wh ever worked before this? Or could it be a problem waiting to be found? The Propane and Electric WH systems are pretty much independent of each other except for the control board.

In the Files section (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...?do=file&id=17) is a Suburban Water Heater Troubleshooting manual that should help isolate the problem.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
julielm75
Established Member

M.O.C. #27329
We have never used the propane side before as we have always been on shore power. I was thinking if something is wrong with electric the propane side should work but as i mentioned the DSI light comes on
julielm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The DSI light comes on when you start the propane side. It will go out after the burner ignites. You should have someone stand outside when you turn on the propane system to listen. The igniter should try to light the burner (you should hear a clicking sound) up to three times. If it doesn't light it quits trying and you have to turn off the inside switch before trying again. If the propane has never been used it may take a while to purge the air from the propane line. If it still fails after 4 or 5 tries it is time to troubleshoot.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsi error, hot water heater