Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #101
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
NEVADA REGISTRATION FOR OUR NEW LONGHORN RAM......1448!!!?! One year!
Your registration includes a governmental services tax. The registration fee by itself is comparatively small. That is what you get when you register in a state that has no income tax. All states that have no income tax get you in other ways. There is no free ride. This why you have to take all the claims of TX, FL and SD as great domicile states with a grain of salt. Yeah, you can avoid certain taxes and expenses by doing certain things a bit differently... in the long run it all works out more or less evenly.

If it's any consolation, your registration will go down over time as the value of you truck goes down in value. (the method they use to calculate your Nevada GST)

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:40 PM   #102
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Come to California where they just raised my registration from $630 to $763. Nothing goes down here. $1448 is crazy bet it's because it's a DRW right. Mine is a SRW. There are so many fees involved with registration its nuts.

They raised diesel tax 20 cents and hit our registration and this morning they want to increase the bridge tolls $3. This place never saw a tax it didn't like. People here seem to like it.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #103
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I'm from the 'Lone Star State' and we have no state income tax and my registration on my rv is less than 150.00 per year. There may be no free ride but some states take you for a ride for a price many can't afford to pay. I wouldn't mine living where it's a little cooler but anywhere i would want to move to would be more costly.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #104
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Where we live in Virginia we have no toll roads. When I was in the service stationed at Fort Dix Nj the guys who lived near by would tell me to take a certain road because it was a free way. Poor country boy me though a free way was a just big road.
Still a country boy Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #105
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
When we first moved to Nevada, all cars were 25.00.. they say its because we have no income tax. Ok. Wheres my medical ?, my free dental and vision? If you are travellng 6 months and 1 day, you can register wherever u want. Dont think Nevada will be getting more of my hard earned bucks..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #106
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Your registration includes a governmental services tax. The registration fee by itself is comparatively small. That is what you get when you register in a state that has no income tax. All states that have no income tax get you in other ways. There is no free ride. This why you have to take all the claims of TX, FL and SD as great domicile states with a grain of salt. Yeah, you can avoid certain taxes and expenses by doing certain things a bit differently... in the long run it all works out more or less evenly.

If it's any consolation, your registration will go down over time as the value of you truck goes down in value. (the method they use to calculate your Nevada GST)
Agree Some places are more advantageous to certain lifestyles but at the end of the day there is no free lunch
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #107
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
F-350 65.00 Montana 35.00 Ohio.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #108
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggarview View Post
your registration includes a governmental services tax. The registration fee by itself is comparatively small. That is what you get when you register in a state that has no income tax. All states that have no income tax get you in other ways. There is no free ride. This why you have to take all the claims of tx, fl and sd as great domicile states with a grain of salt. Yeah, you can avoid certain taxes and expenses by doing certain things a bit differently... In the long run it all works out more or less evenly.

If it's any consolation, your registration will go down over time as the value of you truck goes down in value. (the method they use to calculate your nevada gst)
all i can say, never again....
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #109
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I don't recall the exact amount for registering the new truck here in Washington State, a couple hundred bucks maybe. A bunch of fees including the new front and rear plates and a good chunk towards the weight fee.

I have a little over 300 miles on it and decided to check out the underside of the rig including the factory prep for Fifthwheel and Gooseneck plate. Looks pretty hell for stout setup. A friend of mine was going to sell me his Companion hitch (25k) at a reasonable price but I would need the B&W plate for under the bed that accepts the square stock instead of the round stock that factory uses. Back to trying to make a decision on using my Reese Titan (20k) with a puck style adaptor or just buying a whole new B&W 25k hitch that uses the puck system. The adaptor raises the Fifthwheel by probably an inch and a half.

While I was under the truck I did notice that the rearend was still quite hot quite awhile after driving the rig. My old truck also got quite warm so I am thinking that part of the pre-tow breakin might include the rearend.

Tom Marty
Old 06-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #110
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Tom my nephew had a 1500 Chevy. They pulled a 4000 pound camper to Yellowstone from Virginia. Their 5 year old son kept saying I smell something burning. When they got home Chris looked under his truck and the rear end was blue from heat. There had never been any oil in it. They drove the truck for several more years. GM gave them a lifetime warranty on the rear end but it never gave them any trouble.
Lynwood
Old 06-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #111
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Well he definitly heat treated the rear end.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #112
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Well I got down to a quarter of a tank of fuel. Computer resting was 13.5 with 512 miles on the odometer, I filled up with fuel, 39.65 gallons to the top of the filler tube and doing the calculation I ended up with 12.91 MPG. I would bet that the dealership did not really fill the tank all the way up but I will be able to see on the next fill up. I would guess the computer and actual math will be closer on my next fill up.
I am still not sure if I made the right choice with the 4.10's or if I should have went with the 3.55's. I drove the truck to work today to get some more miles on it before I tow over the Cascade Mountain Range next Thursday. Boy is that road a piece of crap, rougher than hell two lane road that makes me appreciate my Accord for my daily driver. Truck is definitely built for hauling a heavy load.

Also ordered my 25k Companion Hitch today. Hope I am happy with that decision. Should be able to assemble, install and adjust it on Tuesday.

Looking forward to my first tow trip with it.

Tom Marty
Old 06-13-2018, 05:53 AM   #113
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
It's amazing how these trucks let you know you are not in a Caddy LOL
You will differently love how your truck tows. I installed my hitch myself also. hardest thing was drilling a 4 inch hole in the bed of a new truck. You may want to add air bags to help smooth out some of those bumps. Just remember that some of the bolts for the bags go behind the side plates for the hitch. i had to loosen and remove some of the bolts just to install the top bracket for the bags.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #114
Rookey
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19613
Looks nice Tom, congratulations.

2018 Montana Legacy 3160RL
2017 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali Duramax, CC, 4x4
Rookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:32 PM   #115
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Well I went all the way in and bought a new B&W 25k factory puck mount hitch. Looks like I will end up selling my Reese 20k Titan hitch. It has been a great high end hitch from Reese. I measured from the truck bed up to the top of the hitch and to the top of the bed rail (about three inches difference) on the old truck and then repeated the procedure on the new truck. I think it will work out fine and when I back under the Montana and hitch up I can verify it.
Getting closer to first tow trip. I will try to have around 1000 miles on it as per the Ford owners manual.

Tom Marty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	1804  
Old 06-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #116
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Second fill up tonight. 967.5 total miles on truck, 455.5 on second tank of fuel. Computer reading 15.1, actually 14.35. Hopefully it gets a bit better but I did buy it for towing not a commuter vehicle. Hooking up to the fifth wheel tonight for the maiden towing voyage. Leaving the Eastern Washington desert lowlands tomorrow and up and over White Pass to the west side of the state. Long steep pass should give me an idea of how my new truck performs while towing.

Tom Marty
Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #117
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Dam Worker: Don’t worry, you won’t have any trouble pulling the grades. Fuel mileage, however could be an issue with 4.10s.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #118
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Badmoon I took the truck and trailer for a quick spin tonight. We loaded up the wife, trailer and both dogs and I went up a fairly steep grade on the freeway. No problem accelerating up to 75 mph or more if you wanted to. Trailer did not try to control the truck in any way shape or form. Old truck did fairly well but some corners made my butt pucker a bit. It had pretty good power but the suspension and handling was nothing compared to this dually. GCVWR compared from truck to truck is not even close. The difference in eighteen years technology in engines and the suspension is night and day. I still like my old truck but know that the new one is going to make me smile even more.
I will go up and over White Pass and see if I am still happy, I pretty sure that I will still be smiling. I need to learn how to operate the exhaust brake a bit better and I am a slow learner but I will figure it out.

Tom Marty
Old 06-21-2018, 07:04 AM   #119
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The new trucks just keep getting better and better. My truck is an 08 and I’m afraid to drive a new one.
Lynwood
Old 06-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #120
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Just turn it on and forget it. it works all by itself. These new trucks think a lot for them selves.