Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
Hensley BD-3 Trailer Saver Hitch

I learned something new this week while out camping. In talking with our fellow RV neighbor and discussing things that can go wrong, I mentioned our mishap with the hitch last Fall when the jaws released and the Montana crashed onto our truck right after hitching. He mentioned to me that there is a way to further lock the jaws so they cannot open. He showed me what he does and I immediately went and purchased a $1.89 part. I then looked in our Hensley Manual and there it was #7 -
The hitch may be further secured in the 8 o’clock
position with a padlock. This is inserted through an
opening in the retainer pin
housing that is only visi-
ble when the hitch is locked onto the kingpin

We sure missed it and it would have saved us from that sound you never want to hear!!! Posting in case any other Hensley owners missed #7!!!!!

CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:05 AM   #2
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Do not have a BD3, but have the Holland Binkley which is similar. Great hitch. Yes, when in the 8 o'clock position, test it by trying to move it to the 9 o'clock position. If it moves into the 9 o'clock position, then you are NOT locked and you need to try again (RESET: I move it to the 10 o'clock position then back to the 9 o'clock position to reset it for auto lock. If it does not move, then you are locked. Then, I padlock the hitch. If you are having difficulty hitching, a reset usually solves the problem.

Last key: With the hitch in the 9 o'clock position, line up the truck about a couple of inches from the hitch. Lower the camper and barely touch the hitch with the pinbox. Then slowly back in until you hear the click and the kingpin is locked. Test, padlock, and go. I have a camera right in front of my hitch and can see everything. Can't go wrong with a 32K hitch.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote