Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Calgon and Dawn

Hello,

I am going to try the Calgon/Dawn method. I bought the powdered Calgon. How much should I use for the black tank each time? Same amount for the gray tanks? Also, have the liquid Dawn - How much of that do I need for the black tank?

Thanks!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Greg what is the Dawn going to be used for? the black tank? I personally would not use that for the amount of soap suds it could generate down there. I use a product called one happy camper recomended to me years ago at a rally in california I have been useing it ever sence I use 1 scoop. Calgon is good but expensive another that can be used is a Boraxo product water conditioner its in a green box and about 1/3 the cost of Calgon.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
We use the Calgon liquid, one cap full with a gallon of water. I would recommend the liquid over the powder. The powder has to dissolve, the liquid is ready to go.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Greg what is the Dawn going to be used for? the black tank? I personally would not use that for the amount of soap suds it could generate down there. I use a product called one happy camper recomended to me years ago at a rally in california I have been useing it ever sence I use 1 scoop. Calgon is good but expensive another that can be used is a Boraxo product water conditioner its in a green box and about 1/3 the cost of Calgon.
Yes, I had heard to use Dawn in the black tank along with the water softener like Calgon. I'll look for the Boraxo too if it is that much cheaper. Thanks Don
Old 03-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

We use the Calgon liquid, one cap full with a gallon of water. I would recommend the liquid over the powder. The powder has to dissolve, the liquid is ready to go.
Thanks Hooker. One cap full, it must be very concentrated then. I have a couple boxes of powder to try, but if it doesn't seem to dissolve well, may switch over to the liquid.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We, too, use the Happy Camper (http://www.5starhappycamper.com/) holding tank treatment in our black tank, along with a capful of liquid Calgon that we stir up in a toilet bowl full of water before it goes into the tank. So far, so good, and we really like that the Happy Camper stuff doesn't have stain anything or have an odor (and neither does our black tank!).

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When we had the 3400RL, and now in the SOB, we use the liquid Calgon, two capfuls after each dump. I have a backflush and after flushing I put about 5 gallons of water back into the tank. So the Calgon mixes with what is in there as we go down the road. I added a clear elbow to monitor the output, and ever since using Calgon it comes clean a lot faster. I also use one of the deodorizer packets, but others have said it is not needed. It's my preference to use it.

Watch out for the Dawn. You could end up going down the highway looking like a steam locomotive with the suds coming out the vent.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Watch out for the Dawn. You could end up going down the highway looking like a steam locomotive with the suds coming out the vent.
LOL... Good point. I'm not even exactly sure on the Dawn as to what it's supposed to do, I just remember reading that people were using water softener and Dawn in the black tank. I know the water softener is supposed to make the tank more "slippery" for the goods to flow out, and Dawn cuts grease, but??

Old 03-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wayne and Carolyn Mathews

We, too, use the Happy Camper (http://www.5starhappycamper.com/) holding tank treatment in our black tank, along with a capful of liquid Calgon that we stir up in a toilet bowl full of water before it goes into the tank. So far, so good, and we really like that the Happy Camper stuff doesn't have stain anything or have an odor (and neither does our black tank!).

Carolyn
Thanks Don and Carolyn on the Happy Camper tip. Is that available in stores too, or just through the website?
Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I use Calgon in gray tanks AND the black tank. I prefer the liquid.

I do NOT use Dawn in the black tank, IF I use any soap, it is liquid laundry detergent, a capful or maybe capful and half. I think I would stay away from the Dawn. Not that it is right or wrong to use it, I don't think if you used a small amount with a small amount of water, say, 3 to 4 gallons there would be too many bubbles!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Calgon liquid is what we have used in both 5th wheels. Sometimes it's hard to find so buy an extra bottle when you can.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c214dick

Calgon liquid is what we have used in both 5th wheels. Sometimes it's hard to find so buy an extra bottle when you can.
Yeah, I was not finding it so that was the only reason I got the powder is I ordered it online. Where have you found the liquid?

Thanks much!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Got mine at a grocery in New Mexico. American dishwashing and laundry soap on the top shelves, Mexican dishwashing and laundry soap on the bottom shelf. I was tempted to use the Mexican versions if I could have told for sure what I was buying. They probably still use the stuff we used to be able to get in this country. Whatever the reason, the Mexican stuff was moving.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Calgon liquid = Laundry aisle, grocery store, Walleyworld, etc. Sometimes hard(er) to find, so, I do the same, buy 2 or 3 when I have available. I don't go through very much of this during a year, but, I usually only use when we are moving the rig. Otherwise I fall back to the MORE water, LESS paper game.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
If you are around a Dollar General, Family Dollar, they have a Pine Power a $1.00 per bottle, or just get some cheap laundry soap.
All you need is a surfactant, surface active agent to break the surface tension of water and it will assist in breaking down your waste.
Water is not a effective cleaner, that is why we add soap to our water.
Do it before you hit the road and it is like a big washing machine.
Stay away from dish soap, makes too much suds.
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #16
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We have found the liquid at Walmart and other grocery stores.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 AM   #17
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
Never heard of this. Must try Calgon.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have been using powdered Boraxo and the cheapest laundry powder on the shelf for the past 12 years of fulltiming- I believe this has been very successful- We use one scoop of each after each dumping- A very economical endeaver- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #19
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We use the Calgon/Borax combination and have never had any major problems. I use heaping scoops of each and then run the flush with the drain closed so as to be sure there is ample water to dissolve the powder while driving.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Here's a link to a supplier of liquid Calgon by the case and it's cheap!

http://www.buythecase.net/product/22...ener_16_loads/
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote