Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Gate Valve on Sewer Boom

Almost every time we go to dump there is a small amount of sewage in the pipe that spills when the cap is removed. This is annoying and unsanitary and I suspect that either occasionally something gets stuck in the black tank gate valve that allows this dribble to get by or the gate valve is not operating correctly. It seems to me that short of replacing the gate valve which would be a major job it might be a good idea to install a gate valve right at the end of the sewer boom so that the cap can be removed and the hose connected before that valve is opened to allow the dribble through.

I haven't been able to find anything online about how to do this so was wondering if anyone else had done it or had any other good ideas.

Thanks
Craig

KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
I purchased a gate valve at Camping World that has a bayonet attachment just for this problem. Works great. Only problem is the pastic bayonet attachment pieces dry out and break. Mine after 3 years. They are not that expensive to replace.
Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I purchased a termination gate valve from camping world. It has hooks so it will replace the cap. I used PVC cement to keep it from turning. Then put the cap on the termination valve. Had to remove the useless sewer boom because it got in the way of the new set up.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Thank you both, I am going to Camping World tomorrow to see what they have.

Cheers
Craig
KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
You do not have to give up your sewer boom if you want to use it. When you install the valve at the cap location it will add a few inches outward to where the hose connects. Simply trim off some of the boom's flexible hose cover and it will work like a champ. Some folks just don't like the boom. I find it adds conveinence and use it.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KiwiRVer

Almost every time we go to dump there is a small amount of sewage in the pipe that spills when the cap is removed.
This has been a problem with all three of our Montanas, 2001, 2003, 2007, and is something I think Keystone needs to address. A few years ago someone on this forum determined the culprit is the dump pipe from the galley tank. The angle or a low spot or some similar "problem" meant not all the water got dumped. Drive down the road and the jostling moves the water to the low point. Right at the dump cap.

The extra gate valve solved that problem for us. Plus, when we're without a sewer connection we can close that extra valve and open both gray tanks. They then share capacity. Since we fill the shower tank first, this buys us an extra day or so before needing to dump. Plus, the also get the added capacity of the dump pipes. I believe HamRad was the guy who came up with this idea first on this forum.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote