Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
HELP....Stock..DVD system problems

HELP...It seems that after 2 1/2 years of owning the Montana our stock DVD player is going bad. We have the extended warrenty so hope Keystone will come to the plate and replace. Have any of you had your DVD system fail. Ours seems to get HOT, after 1 1/2 hour of play and stops the disc and registers it as bad disc failure. Did you replace thru Keystone or just go to Walmart and buy a new one?
If you went thru Keystone did you contact direct or go thru a dealer. We fulltime in our rig and don't really want to pull rig when it is something we can take out, deliver to them and insert ourselves. This forum always points us in the right direction. Teresa

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Ours went bad when it was still under warranty and I had the dealer replace it. If it ever goes bad again I will upgrade it with a better one and replace it myself.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
we replaced ours with an RCA unit from Walmart. Yes we purchased an extended warranty before our factory warranty expired but jumping through the hoops of taking in for service/diagnosis versus buying a $100 unit just didn't seem worth the hassle. We have a $50 deductable anyway.

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Ripped mine out and put in a good unit, ours went bad in about 4 months and I was happy it went, I wanted something better and this way didn't have to convince the DW.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
rich6506547
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8222
ours went bad they replaced it twice last one wouldn't play a dvd, got mad went out got an LG put it in myself. Lot better, got a new LG tv to Now iam happy
rich6506547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Ours just went bad also. But rather than try to get it replaced under warranty, I am going to buy a blue ray DVD system from Walmart/Target/BestBuy/etc since we have numerous blue ray DVDs and want to take some of those when we travel.
Be aware that you need a "home theater" system, not just a DVD player. The "home theater" system has the speaker outputs to drive your 5.1 speaker system where a plain DVD player does not.
Also I have not been able to find one in a store that has the option of the bedroom speakers outputs.
I saw a Panasonic blue ray home theater system at Best Buy for about $375 a few days ago. The speakers were similar size to the existing ones. I will have to do a little wood work though to install them since they are ever so slightly larger. And I will need to buy an A-B switch (for A, B, or both) if I want to be able to use the bedroom speakers from it like the original does. I only use that feature when the Ipod is hooked to it, so not terribly important.
Best Buy also had several other brands at various features and prices. Non blue ray systems costs considerably less.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 AM   #7
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have had to replace some parts of my entertainment systems over the years,I have a 2004 unit. I took my third system over to a local repair shop. The owner told me that these home systems that are put in the rv's are made for a one time plug in and not made to go on and off every time that you unhook and move your unit. He said that even though you turn it off not everything in the unit shuts down. When you pull the cord for the shore power it shuts the unit completely off and when you plug it back in it starts some things back up. It is like a power surge and over time it can cause a problem in some but not every home style system.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
ChevRock
Established Member

M.O.C. #7864
Our first entertainment system started smoking on our first trip out in our rig. We took it back to the dealer and they gave us a new unit. During our 2nd extended trip in the rig the 2nd unit stopped working. We wanted to take just the unit into the dealer for a replacement, but under warranty they have to check out the whole electrical system. They could not find anything wrong with the unit. A big point for me is needing a "home theater" system, not just a DVD player. The "home theater" system has the speaker outputs to drive your 5.1 speaker system and the 2 bedroom speakers where a plain DVD player does not. That will no be a simple replacement.
ChevRock is offline   Reply With Quote