Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Our 3790 leaving for the factory for repairs...again..

Well, the rig left today by transport to go back to Goshen for the "flex" repair again. This will be the second time it has been repaired at the factory. Once in '17 and now. May also have to have the entire left wall replaced due to delam under the left rear slide. Estimated time she will be gone is 10 weeks. I am pleased they wanted to see it again and find out why!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200203_105918170_HDR_copy_600x600.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	5512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200203_110326137_HDR_copy_600x600.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	5513  

Old 02-04-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I hope mine beats your's home!!
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Is this issue limited to the last Gen (2017 and prior) or have the 18,19,20's with the full rear basement also having this issue as well?
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Multiply the estimated time of repair times two.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I remember our chats about your fiver back a few years the first go around. Back in the day ... even the Indians knew when to quit … All joking aside … I think they are using your rig to help figure out a permanent lasting fix.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Is this issue limited to the last Gen (2017 and prior) or have the 18,19,20's with the full rear basement also having this issue as well?
There have been several 18&19s that have had to have the same repair done.
Golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #7
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I remember our chats about your fiver back a few years the first go around. Back in the day ... even the Indians knew when to quit … All joking aside … I think they are using your rig to help figure out a permanent lasting fix.
Good one😁. The new method they have is apparently much better than the way they did mine, but mine held since 4/17, so we will see! All joking aside.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:07 AM   #8
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Good Luck with the repairs

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Bummer! I hope you are able to document it as well as the last time. I followed the repairs on the Ford truck site then but hadn't seen it yet there this time.

Good luck with the repairs.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I remember all the trouble you had the last time. We hear people say class action law suit or they ought to give you a new camper. This is one case they should replace your camper. They won’t but I hope they will fix it this time.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Considering the severity of the issue one might consider pursuing Lemon Law resolution which the State could help you potentially enforce. I bought a New 2018 Jeep Wrangler that had significant issues that were isolated to a certain batch of Wranglers. Myself and others were able to get Mopar to replace my Wrangler with a new one, as did many others with the same structural issues.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #12
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I don't have as many Mods as Monty, but I would not want to have to start over modifying a new one.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #13
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
I certainly get that with yours being a 2019 assuming that the fix is one and done and no corners cut. But if I had a 2017 that the problem was habitual I would push for it. The issue with my Wrangler was frame welds which is a major issue considering how the off road stress and liability on that kind of Vehicle. Mopar was also handing our quite a few replacements at that time so it was pretty easy transformation and fight, the beauty of the Mopar Lemon replacement they paid for mods also (within reason) and some were upgraded from 2018 to new 2019 models.

So getting Keystone to deem it a Lemon and possibly replacing with a current model year would seem reasonable for resolving a habitual structural problem that is not just isolated to his RV.

From a resell purchasers perspective knowing there was habitual issues like this I would not want to buy that used RV, so there are also long term value consideration even if repaired once and for all.

Maybe I am tainted from recently going through a sucessful Lemon Law process
Old 02-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Lemon laws vary from state to state.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #15
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Lemon laws vary from state to state.
Lynwood
Agreed however the FTC also has national lemon law guide lines that rule nationally. Not saying it is an actual option just something to consider pursuit of maybe.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #16
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I don't have as many Mods as Monty, but I would not want to have to start over modifying a new one.
Agree. I have spent 1000's of dollars on improvements and it would all be lost if Keystone replaced mine. This is the same when selling. I did improvements to my liking and improvements that I feel are more user friendly and may cause be less heartache down the road. It has taken me several years to get the rv the way I like it and wouldn't want to start over with another one. When I sell this rv I will me retiring from this method of travelling which I hope is a few years down the road. I haven't had many of the problems that have been posted on this forum yet have gotten many of the improvements from others on here. There is a lot of knowledgeable guy's on here that can save you a lot of problems yet cause you to spend a lot of money.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:02 AM   #17
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Bummer! I hope you are able to document it as well as the last time. I followed the repairs on the Ford truck site then but hadn't seen it yet there this time.

Yes sir I have. When the techs at the rally came to my rig to take a look, they immediately said this one would go to management as it had already been repaired once. As far as the Ford Truck site, I just haven't taken the time to post much there although I still read it.

Good luck with the repairs.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I remember all the trouble you had the last time. We hear people say class action law suit or they ought to give you a new camper. This is one case they should replace your camper. They won’t but I hope they will fix it this time.
Lynwood
Here is Georgia, there is no Lemon Law for non-motorized vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
That's kind of the way I feel, but if it is damaged to where they feel the need to, then I would kind of have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
I certainly get that with yours being a 2019 assuming that the fix is one and done and no corners cut. But if I had a 2017 that the problem was habitual I would push for it. The issue with my Wrangler was frame welds which is a major issue considering how the off road stress and liability on that kind of Vehicle. Mopar was also handing our quite a few replacements at that time so it was pretty easy transformation and fight, the beauty of the Mopar Lemon replacement they paid for mods also (within reason) and some were upgraded from 2018 to new 2019 models.

So getting Keystone to deem it a Lemon and possibly replacing with a current model year would seem reasonable for resolving a habitual structural problem that is not just isolated to his RV.

From a resell purchasers perspective knowing there was habitual issues like this I would not want to buy that used RV, so there are also long term value consideration even if repaired once and for all.

Maybe I am tainted from recently going through a sucessful Lemon Law process
Unfortunately non-motorized vehicles have no Lemon Law in this state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Agree. I have spent 1000's of dollars on improvements and it would all be lost if Keystone replaced mine. This is the same when selling. I did improvements to my liking and improvements that I feel are more user friendly and may cause be less heartache down the road. It has taken me several years to get the rv the way I like it and wouldn't want to start over with another one. When I sell this rv I will me retiring from this method of travelling which I hope is a few years down the road. I haven't had many of the problems that have been posted on this forum yet have gotten many of the improvements from others on here. There is a lot of knowledgeable guy's on here that can save you a lot of problems yet cause you to spend a lot of money.
Agreed!!
Old 02-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #18
Marty 579
Established Member

M.O.C. #22425
Any idea how the new repair might differ from the first one?
Marty 579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #19
jsuter55

M.O.C. #24340
We have a 2019 Montana High Country 373RD that went back to factory for exterior side wall delamination just to the rear of the front bedroom slide. The plan is too replace entire sidewall as well as the 3 slide exterior walls. Work to hopefully start next week. 6 to 8 week repair time. We hope.
jsuter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #20
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty 579 View Post
Any idea how the new repair might differ from the first one?
The initial one was done with aluminum being welded over each joint in the left front. Now they weld in an overlay that takes the stress off of the welds in the same area and it is bolted in