Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #21
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
My Monty has straps connected to the D rings on the floor. My dining room table is screwed to the floor. I can send pics of the straps for the recliners if that will help you.

I've considered that same furniture rearrangement because of the need to rotate the the recliners to "stow" them. Was not sure that it was a good idea from a weight and balance perspective since the sofa is a lot heavier than the two recliners.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #22
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
thanks for the tips. I will be sure to check the screw length when screwing the table back down. 1/2" into the floor should be plenty.

I ordered some replacement straps to secure the chairs to the d-rings. I ordered them from www.strapworks.com. They have really good prices and you and custom order the straps to the length, buckle type, color, strap material, etc. you desire.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #23
Schautzie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6179
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
So, today I decided to arrange the furniture in the living room of our 3400RL back to the factory configuration which is, as I understand it, the two recliners in the rear and the couch in the slideout next to the dinette (the PO had the recliners in the slideout and the sofa in the rear). When I moved the sofa from the rear I saw four D-rings in the floor —two near the rear wall and two a couple feet from the wall. I’m guessing these are to secure the two recliners, but with what and how. To close the slideout I had to turn the recliners sideways.

I also saw that the dinette table had holes on the base where it has apparently been screwed into the floor at some point. I reckon I should figure how to secure these things before going for a long road trip! Screwing the table back into the floor won’t be hard. Were the chairs secured somehow originally?

Thanks again for all your help.
When your rig was brand new it should have come with adjustable black straps that were used to tie down the recliners and the small table.
Schautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #24
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
The table screw length is tricky. The carpet compresses somewhat, but is not rigid. So when tightening there is a fine line between good and too tight which strips the threads in the wood floor. I used #8 or #10 screws 1 1/2 inches, but assume that would vary depending on the style of table legs.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #25
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schautzie View Post
When your rig was brand new it should have come with adjustable black straps that were used to tie down the recliners and the small table.
I see the d-rings for the recliners. How was the table strapped down?

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
Old 03-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #26
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
The small end table sits upside down on one of the recliners, and the tie down straps goes thru between the legs ,and over the arms of the recliner, it can't go anywhere then.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #27
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
The small end table sits upside down on one of the recliners, and the tie down straps goes thru between the legs ,and over the arms of the recliner, it can't go anywhere then.
That's simple enough. Thanks.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
Old 03-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #28
Schautzie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6179
Quote:
We used one of the black straps and wound it over top and connected to d rings. The straps had dog style clips to hook on d rings.
Schautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #29
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Tying down furniture

Hey all:

We have been full timers since 2005, 7 years with SOB and now 6 years with our Montana 3800 RE. We are on the road for 2 months each year. We have never tied down our chairs and we have never had a problem with them moving. We have been and stayed in 22 states and have not been on a highway or road that could significantly move the furniture. Just saying ... Happy trails. D
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:23 AM   #30
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
we have a 3160RL. Recliners are in the slide out & they are not secured to the floor. Don't know if the couch/sofa bed in the rear is secured or not. We've pulled the sofa bed out and it doesn't move. We don't tie down the DR chairs, they haven't moved and the DR table is screwed to the floor. Table is about an inch from the kitchen island counter when the slide is in. I know you're talking about a different Monty model--just my 2 cents.
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #31
whiterose
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18353
Keystone have a habit of changing how to secure kitchen chairs. We had 'D' rings and a strap on a 2014 HC, they were not on a 2016 3790RD on this we had a chair tip and dent the refrigerator door, on a 2018 3791RD it came with the 'D' rings / strap, plus a spring loaded 'T' bar. Keystone would not go to this expense if it were not required.

Anyone that does not secure kitchen chairs risks some expensive consequences; after the tipping incident we purchased a pair of straps / 'D' rings believe it cost us $12. The theater seat is also strapped down when travelling.

Having had many cupboard doors come open when travelling we now fasten these closed. A door in the way of an opening slide can do a lot of damage. The glass / plastic front of cupboard doors are painted on the inside, any item that moves into contact will rub through the paint.

Roads in the northern states can be quite rough. Nationwide the pavement over bridges and freeways around major cities have rough surfaces. I don’t see these improving, hence the precautions we take.

Envious of the person that went with Lazy Boy, sat on them many times when checking out Cedar Creek RV’s.