Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hot Water heater maintenance question

I drained my hot water heater tank by removing the plug with the anode. The anode looks good (got minerals on it but still in good form). I plan to go down to the RV store and buy a hot water tank wand that allows me to provide a small amount of pressure spray to get more "stuff" loosened up and cleaned out of the tank.

Now for the big question. Now what? Can I leave it empty and just put the anode back in or is is better to fill the tank back up and not leave the tank dry?

I should note long term storage is in the warmer climate of southern California so I do not have to worry about freezing.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
I always leave mine empty with plug back in, I do leave the plug out for a brief period of time to let what is left to evaporate. I personally think I would not like water standing in there for long periods of time with a chance of corrosion or growing something from lack of circulation. I am only speculating because I leave it empty when not in use, have had no problems doing it that way.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
If you leave it empty be sure to make yourself a note to fill it before turning on the electrical side or you could burn out the element.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

If you leave it empty be sure to make yourself a note to fill it before turning on the electrical side or you could burn out the element.

Yep, been there
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Leaving it empty with the plug in will not hurt it at all. Make the note to yourself thoughjust as a reminder.
Jack
Old 11-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:

I store mine empty with the rod out and a rag tightly stuffed/screwed in the hole so it can breathe a little. So far, no problems with bugs or mice getting in the tank.

I also turn the outside switch off and put the safety clip back in the switch so nobody can accidentally turn the electric side on. Turning on the propane side of the HW heater while empty can still be a problem though. I wonder if there is an easy way to disable/enable the igniter? I'll have to look into that.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KTManiac

Quote:

I store mine empty with the rod out and a rag tightly stuffed/screwed in the hole so it can breathe a little. So far, no problems with bugs or mice getting in the tank.

I also turn the outside switch off and put the safety clip back in the switch so nobody can accidentally turn the electric side on. Turning on the propane side of the HW heater while empty can still be a problem though. I wonder if there is an easy way to disable/enable the igniter? I'll have to look into that.

Pull the fuse? The ignition mechanism is 12 volts, so pulling the fuse should disable it.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:49 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks everyone! Some of our trips can be far and few between and even though my Monty is parked in my driveway I am adding draining the HW tank to my short term storage plan.

I like the idea leaving the anode out. It turns out Suburban recommends that, too, but how does one store the rod? I will also use a small piece of screen material and a piece of paper towel to cover the plug tied on with some string or wire to keep the bugs out of the tank. Every 2-3 weeks I check the battery levels, tire pressure, and for propane burner blockages already. I can easily check the HW heater plug, too.

I will need to think about the preventatives for accidently turning on the HW when it's empty. Removing the fuse? Indicator notes? Disconnecting the controller or igniter wiring? Lots of good ideas but I will have to think about the one that works for me.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't know what anyone recommends but I do know on the occasions when I remove the anode rod for dewatering, that I simply stand the rod up behind the tubing on the outside of the heater. I have left it like that all winter, then re-inserted and tightened in the spring.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 AM   #10
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
When we winterize we naturally isolate and drain tank and let it air out or dry for a few days, then reinstall the plug/anode. This does not allow any bacteria or chemical reaction to occur. If you do not have a freezing problem you can leave it in the flooded state with no air space and this will again not allow bacterial or any algae to grow or form in your tank. If it is flooded I would run water through the hot water tank every month to ensure your city water (treated) chlorine is still active to attack any bacterial growth. If you are using common untreated well water I would drain tank and store dry. Our experiences of 30 plus years of RVing.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I remove the rod, clean it off, and set it just below the hole where it comes out.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #12
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

I remove the rod, clean it off, and set it just below the hole where it comes out.
Ditto.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
My dealer held a winterizing clinic. They drain the tank then take a short piece of plastic tubing and put in the tank through the anode hole and you can drain the rest of the tank. You will be surprised at how much water is left in the tank to freeze. Also helps to clean the tank of sentiment.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:22 AM   #14
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
During winterization I take the rod out and place it in a small box with all my other winterization items in the garage. However, I just leave the hole open and did not think about bugs and mice getting. I now will put a rag or paper towel stuffed in it to ensure nothing gets inside that should not be there. Thanks for the info.

Greg
Biggjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cyrus

My dealer held a winterizing clinic. They drain the tank then take a short piece of plastic tubing and put in the tank through the anode hole and you can drain the rest of the tank. You will be surprised at how much water is left in the tank to freeze. Also helps to clean the tank of sentiment.
Not a bad idea. I assume that it is siphoned out somehow? I don't think that the amount of what is left from just draining would do any damage from freezing, due to the shape of the bottom of the tank. It could get a little funky, if it didn't all evaporate out though.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hmmm, same as TLighting & KTManiac...just leave it out laying in front of location it came from, cover back in place.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #17
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
I might be over doing it a bit. I drain the tank and then tape a short section of hose to the end of my small wet vac and suck out all the crud in the bottom of the tank. I then spray in some more water from my hose and repeat the proccess. You'd be amazed how much crud is left in the bottom of the tank. Try sticking your finger in there some time. Anyway, this gets out all the water and I plug the hole with a rag. I do this any time the unit is going to sit for more than a few weeks. I also put duct tape on the inside of the grill and vent openings to keep out wasps. Like I said, maybe a little overboard.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:03 AM   #18
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
Is the hot water tank plug a standard size ?
I tried a 13/16 socket and it was to small....
near to stop today and get a larger socket...

Thanks
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:27 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
It is a standard size and if my memory serves me correctly it is 1 1/16". I assume you mean the anode, if you mean the element itself, it is also standard size and as I learned from the forum, removal wrenches for the element are available at Lowes or Home Depot.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:06 AM   #20
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

I do the same never a problem Replaced the anode once in 8 Seasons
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote