Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Proper Procedure for Jacking 5er

I apologize ahead of time for what is probably a repeat, but could someone please detail the proper procedure for jacking the 5er to replace a tire. Please detail jack placement particularly. Not in need now, but would like to have the basic knowledge before it is ever needed. As always, thanks for the input.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Bingo I like the metal ramp my sister has for the horse trailers. Put down (in front or behind) the inflated tire and drive 5th on to the ramp. This will raise the flat and allow the change very quickly.

I just did this in downtown Indy about a month ago when she had a blowout. Looosed the nuts, drove it onto the ramp, changed the tires and snugged the nuts, backed off the ramp tightened the nuts. Done in less than 20 min on the side of I 65. I don't want to due it again but it was a slick system.

just a thought
chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have heard that that procedure is less than desirable on a large fifth wheel due to weight distribution on the tires and axles, but I have no clue?? Like your new signature!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I like Chucks answer. Whats the difference if you jack one wheel up or go over a curb. When rolling over a curb all the weight goes to one wheel. When you hit a pothole all the weight goes to one wheel and not very gently. I would think if you are lifting under where the spring connects to the axle you would be fine. Thats where all the weight transfers anyway. The above is just my opinion. I am not an engineer nor do I play one on TV. So if someone can explain why I would be causing severe long term crippling destruction to my trailer I am willing to listen. I have more room now that I cleared out all I learned awhile ago by banging my head on the pinbox the other day. Wont do that again!
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtpocket2

I like Chucks answer. Whats the difference if you jack one wheel up or go over a curb. When rolling over a curb all the weight goes to one wheel. When you hit a pothole all the weight goes to one wheel and not very gently. I would think if you are lifting under where the spring connects to the axle you would be fine. Thats where all the weight transfers anyway. The above is just my opinion. I am not an engineer nor do I play one on TV. So if someone can explain why I would be causing severe long term crippling destruction to my trailer I am willing to listen. I have more room now that I cleared out all I learned awhile ago by banging my head on the pinbox the other day. Wont do that again!
That is absolutely correct. I use a 12 ton bottle jack and place it directly under the axle where it is attached to the spring.
NEVER EVER directly under the axle alone.
Be sure to chock the opposite side wheels front and rear before jacking.
When finished TORQUE ALL lug nuts to 120 and you should be good to go.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Dexter axle recommends placing jack on frame, not axle as there is the potential for axle or suspension damage.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
bncinwv,

If you are interested you can take a look at my PictureTrail site. Go down to the Shackles album and take a look at where we placed jacks. Part of the reason for doing it where we did was easy access to the shackles and hardware.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok, my two cents... When I owned SOB I tried the jacking on frame and noted that it appeared to cause compression as the load was not distributed enough. I previously and currently use place under the plates where U bolts clamp to the axles as this manages weight loading and is not sensitive to point loading.
Net is the amount of lift is no different than transversing a road deflection and lift is just high enough to allow tire to 'clear' ground...JHMO
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
Do not use ramps, I did to adjust brakes and ended up having to replace both axles. . .
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I did to adjust brakes more than once and had no axle problems
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bingo, I had to change two flats on the way from Alaska on the side of the road. I used the method Glenn explained above. I have a 12 ton bottle jack I used. The jack and my portable ice maker were two best investments I made. As Glenn stated, please be sure to chock opposite wheels, front and back. Of course, loosen lug nuts before you lift wheel. and torque after you lower wheel.

Hope you never have to do it.....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I hope I never have to either, but want to be prepared in case. I guess the use of Bal-chocks between the tires (I have the kind with the wrench that apply pressure to the tires from between them) would suffice for chocking the opposite side???
Bingo