Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
crazynut52

M.O.C. #12483
Got a new (to us) Montana, a few questions

It looks like this site will have a lot of useful information for us going forward! We bought an 04 2955RL. I have a few questions, if anyone can help.

1. The sewer flush inlet on the camper doesn't seem to take any water, acts like it is plugged. I was under the impression it was the anti siphon valve. I called lakeview rv supply, he says it is plugged where it enters the black tank. Any one have any experience with this issue, or how to test, and fix it?

2. The QR3000 home theatre that came with the unit doesn't pick up any fm stations, so I pulled it out and there is no fm antanne hooked up (coax threaded input). What is supposed to be plugged in here? Where is the original fm antanne located?

3. I can't seem to get one channel through the TV antanne either, does this have something to do with the tv signals going digital within the last couple years?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!

crazynut52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
On the older models, the antisiphon valve is probably under the bathroom sink ... it may be stuck. I think the top screws off to access the valve plunger. The QR series (Quest)home theaters are no longer maufactured ... mine just had a square looking plastic coated antenna with one wire running to it that attached to the labeled antenna connection the back. Maybe radio Shack has something that will work. Many of us just went with a replacement radio like Sharp, Sony, Panasonic as they were way better anyhow. I didn't have anything attached to the 75 ohm coax plug. If it is the original TV, you'll more than likely have to get one of the digital boxes ($50) that hooks to your input coax as the TV is probably anaolg only. The antenna already on the unit will pull in todays digital signal. Make sure the button on the antennae amplifier on the wall is pushed in and the indicator light is on. There is a jumper wire (very short coax) behind the TV where the coax wall plates are ... I don't remember what this does exactly, but someone else wil be along to explain it.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazynut52

It looks like this site will have a lot of useful information for us going forward! We bought an 04 2955RL. I have a few questions, if anyone can help.

1. The sewer flush inlet on the camper doesn't seem to take any water, acts like it is plugged. I was under the impression it was the anti siphon valve. I called lakeview rv supply, he says it is plugged where it enters the black tank. Any one have any experience with this issue, or how to test, and fix it?

2. The QR3000 home theatre that came with the unit doesn't pick up any fm stations, so I pulled it out and there is no fm antanne hooked up (coax threaded input). What is supposed to be plugged in here? Where is the original fm antanne located?

3. I can't seem to get one channel through the TV antanne either, does this have something to do with the tv signals going digital within the last couple years?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!
Ref two and three. Is your TV antenna amplifier turned on it should be in the [s]bed room closet[/s] computer cabinet under the TV set. (Edit-thanks Deadeye.) Black button when on the green led should be lit. Ref FM sometimes they use the TV antenna for fm so the TV coax runs through a splitter and on side goes to the coax input of the stereo. Again the green light for the amplifier needs to be on.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Our sprayer is plugged, despite several attempts to undo the mess/plug, we have given up and just use MORE water LESS paper.

Have replaced that valve a time or two as well, the replacements we found to purchase were cheap and just did not last well.

Enjoy your "new" Montana.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The backflush sprayer inlet is more like a water supply and should just shoot water into the black tank when the water is on. I use a ball-type shutoff at the inlet with the hose to make it easier to turn water on or off. There is supposed to be an back flow preventer in place and like you suggest this might have failed preventing water flow. The sprayer inside the tank should be powerful enough so it anything gets caught on it should get blown off. Another vote for the back flow preventer needing to be replaced if you can't hear any flow.

The digital converter is definitely recommended for the TV but is not a guarantee because you must be located somewhere so that you can receive TV or FM stations in the first place. Trees and other obstacles may also affect things but not in big towns where the signals are typically strong (though less channels available).

At my house I have an FM dipole antenna installed that I bought from Radio Shack or many other places that sell TV/Audio/video cables. This would be the same setup for a trailer. There aren't as common but they can be found. Mine has a small Coax to wire Balun, then the FM dipole antenna wire attaches to the two screws on the adapter. Here's a link to what they look like:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_19ro7x6om1_e
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
crazynut52 if your anti syfen valve is good that means that the spray nozel in the tank is pluged up below is what it all looks like.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...acementkit.jpg

this is how it is set up.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...structions.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...Flushnozel.jpg

When mine was pluged there was 2 ways to try, 1 drop the under belly and replace the nozel, OR..... you can try another way that worked for me I went and purchased a box of Rid-Ex septic tank cleaner then I pored in the whole box in a 5 gal container added water, disolved it, and pored it onto the toilet making sure all valves were closed then I filled the tank up to the top and let it sit for 2 days, then I dumped the black tank and attached the flush hose and it was unpluged and it saved me the job of removing the under belly. its a lot easier to try that first then go below. you will also have a squeeky clean tank.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
crazynut52

M.O.C. #12483
Thank you for all the info so far. Still no channels on the tv so I guess I will have to decide to upgrade the old tv or just get a converter box.

As far as the black tank sewer flush goes, I filled it the tank with water and added ridex. Hopefully this does something to help. Next I will just change th valve and see if that helps next.

What has anyone found to replace the original quest theatre system? Did you change all the speakers too? I have found it relatively difficult to find a unit which also has an fm tuner. Ideally I would just plug it right into the speakers that are already installed, as I don't see a great way to remove all the speakers and replace them. Does anyone have the color diagram of all the speaker wires, and to which speaker they go to?

Finally, when extending or retracting the slides, the system stops often. If I wait a few seconds it will then continue. I'm guessing a bad solenoid?

Thanks for all the excellent information!
crazynut52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually your slide problem is probably a breaker issue. Up near the pump there is a breaker that will pop and then reset it's self. Don't know what year Monty you have. On the older models folks have wired two 40amp breakers in tandem and it's solved the problem. The newer ones are wired for a higher draw and Keystone replaced mine with an 80amp breaker under warranty. Someone who has done the two 40's should be along here soon and should have pictures of how they did it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:41 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Like I mentioned earlier ... I'd bet your TV is pre digital ... the one in my 05 2980RL was. It required a converter box that the guvenment was funding back when. There are no wiring diagrams for the speakers that I'm aware of. You can use the existing ones and figure them out by unhooking all the pairs of wires behind the receiver first. Each speaker wire is in pairs ... take a AA battery and touch the two wires to it ... you will here a faint "pop" from some speaker ... label them as you find them.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #10
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
On the TV thingy: I also have a 2955 older model. I changed the TV to a flat screen digital. On your unit, your antenna power box is located in the computer cabinet under the TV set. There is a little button there to push and the little green light comes on when it is on. I might warn you that if this power unit is left on over a long period of time, it will run the battery/batteries down as it is 12 volt..... If you need more help with this rig, give us a holler....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazynut52

What has anyone found to replace the original quest theatre system? Did you change all the speakers too? I have found it relatively difficult to find a unit which also has an fm tuner. Ideally I would just plug it right into the speakers that are already installed, as I don't see a great way to remove all the speakers and replace them. Does anyone have the color diagram of all the speaker wires, and to which speaker they go to?
I replaced my DVD/sound system with a Panasonic home theater system. I went to Best Buy. They had several models from several different manufacturers. The Panasonic was the closest in size to the original and I needed it small to fit in the limited cabinet space I had.
It came with new speakers. (could not find a DVD/5.1 sound system that didn't) So I installed the new speakers using the existing wiring.

Finally, when extending or retracting the slides, the system stops often. If I wait a few seconds it will then continue. I'm guessing a bad solenoid?
Bad auto reset circuit breaker. Mine is located in the front compartment between the battery and the slide pump. Probably a 50 amp breaker. I first replaced mine with a new 50 amp breaker. It lasted about a year and started it again. Next I replaced it with two 40 amp breakers in parallel. No more problem. Others have done the similar or replaced it with a single 80 amp breaker.
picture of the old breaker (one on the left)
picture of the paralleled 40s using short buss bars and shrink tubing from Lowe's
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote