Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Hot Water Heater Element

Question: I was out in my rig for the first trip out this year. When I set up, I fill the hot water heater, turned on the electricity and went about the rest of my business (I only use propane when dry camping or when I have heavy demand, so the propane was not on). For some reason about three hours later I thought I had not filled the hot water tank so I rushed out and turned it off. Went and satisfied myself that it was actually filled so I turned it back on. The next day I took a shower and while shaving ran out of hot water. Hmmm. That is not normal...running out of hot water, I mean. Went and checked the switch and it was on, in fact I cannot not turn it off. It will produce hot water with propane.

Question 1: Is it normal for the on/off swith to not work.
Question 2: Is it easy or even possible to replace?
Question 3: How do you go about changing the hot water element, it must be shot
Question 2.5: Does this sound like the hot water element is out to you?
Question 4: With no thumbs, do you think I can do this myself? Just kidding about the thumbs, but, I have found that I am mechanically challenged. Well, I did get that new floor put in my rig and learned how to run the remote control for the TV.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:36 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
There is a pair of master reset buttons above the hot Water heater element. They are behind a rubber protective cover. Try resetting them and see what happens. If you have hot water then the element is working at least a little bit. To replacing the element is not hard but you may have to undo the propane feed to the heating flue to pull the electrical element.
The on off switch may be stuck in the on position. For emergency you can use the circuit break to shut off the electrical feed to the hot water heater but I remember reading that it will weaken the break with a lot of use and the circuit break will need replacing.
I hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
If the inside breaker is on (trip it, "cock" it and turn it on again)and John's rest buttons don't fix it, then it's probably the element. Changing the element is simple once you find it and as John said, you may have to move something. It seems like mine has a cover over it you have to remove. I've not heard of a switch not working, but I was not aware of the reset buttons either !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Thanks for the input. I knew about the reset, but, for some reason, thought they only applied to propane, while it looks like they apply to electric. Go figure. I will check this out Friday. I think the stuck switch may end up being the bigger problem. I will keep you posted or be back with another question.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:55 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The resets ar a high temp breaker for 12V and 120V. They will trip if the water exceeds 180 degrees, unlikely. Just to check press in on the rubber..if you feel a Resistance it is tripped. Don't think that will be your problem....been there done that,,our 12v side does not work.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:15 AM   #6
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
I haven't had a chance to try out my hot water heater yet. I was in the process of dewinterizing when I discovered a problem with the pump. I can only deal with one problem at a time!

But this discussion brings me to a question. The switch next to the element in the hot water heater just turns power to the element on and off, right? Then does the inside switch on the monitor panel just control the propane function or does it also have to be on for the elec. element to work? Thanks.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
The outside switch on the tank controls the 110V power, the switch on the monitor panel controls the propane ignition source only.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Thanks!!
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Well, here's what happened. I used the reset and it worked like a charm. Upon close examination of the switch that would no longer work I noticed that it was hitting the upper edge of the cutout it came through. With a little downpressure it worked great. There is probably something wrong here with the switch, however, at this point it is working. Thanks for the help.