Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Dogman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #182
Replacement tires

I'm beginning to think about replacing the original Tacoma tires on the trailer and I'm not sure what would be a good choice as far as the brands are concerned. Any opinions as to what seems to be working well and what to stay away from?

Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Cliff,

There are tires built by numerous mfgrs. that will serve you well. If you do alot of travelling, your better off staying with the major mfgrs. to ensure availability if warranty work is needed, or if you blow one and need a replacement. There are members here that have had some bad luck with a couple of different brands, and I'm sure they will be along to share the info. I can't really name any particular tire to stay away from, but from experience I will say I personally prefer the LT tires over the ST tires.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I agree with Lonnie. Stay with the major manufacturers if possible. Yes, there are some "off brands" that are very good, but in the long run the majors will give you better service and backing. I also prefer the LT tires. Also, I'm a little partial to Michelins because of the mileage obtained if everything is kept in alignment.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
About all I can tell you is my own experiences. I had so many problems over the years with the Goodyear Marathon trailer tires that you couldn't give me another of those. I never managed to wear one out. They always blew out first. They were never underinflated, either. Nor overloaded. I finally replaced them with BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tires, in an LT size. LT is for light trucks but many fifthwheel manufacturers put them on as OEM tires. Montanas came with LT tires for awhile. Anyhow, I only put about 7k miles on those BFG tires before trading the rig but had no problems with them. I have BFG's on the tow vehicle and got 70k miles from the OEM tires. This Montana came with Mission brand tires. They have only about 4k miles but are looking good so far.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We are in the same situation, looking for replacement tires for our Tacomas. I was going to get the BFG Commercial TA like Steve, but the tire dealer I went to does not carry BFG. They recommended a Yokohama tire instead, I know this an import from Japan, they have been around for a while now, so I think they are probably a decent tire, but I have no real experience with them. Has anyone used Yokohama's? Any thoughts on them?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I'm not sure it is necessary to go to an RV dealer for tires. Costco is out because they won't work on an RV. Here in AZ I use Discount tire with good results. They carry most of the major manufacturers. One thing, when i go to a nonRV place, I make sure they jack the trailer properly.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
John,

I don't know about the Yokohama LT tires, but if they are anything like their big truck tires, you should have no problems. Maybe someone will be along that has had some experience with the LT's.

I tend to agree with Dave, an RV place isn't the place I would look for tires.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:12 AM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
When I wrote "dealer" I meant "tire dealer". Discount Tire was actually my first choice, but their outlet here (McAllen, TX) is no place to take a five-er.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Like Lonnie said, I'd stick with a major manufacturer. Be sure they are either LT or ST.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

We are in the same situation, looking for replacement tires for our Tacomas. I was going to get the BFG Commercial TA like Steve, but the tire dealer I went to does not carry BFG. They recommended a Yokohama tire instead, I know this an import from Japan, they have been around for a while now, so I think they are probably a decent tire, but I have no real experience with them. Has anyone used Yokohama's? Any thoughts on them?
John, I got the BFG's at the Sam's Club there in McAllen the day we left the RGV last year. They also know how to properly jack a FW and torque the lug nuts. I guess they do a lot of RV tires.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote