Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2006, 03:04 AM   #1
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
High Maintenance

Please tell me life WILL get better in the third year of ownership.
This is my second year of summer travel – 5 consecutive months. I have about 6 weeks of travel remaining. My first year, I had the usual fixes of a new unit. This year I have had no major issues and that is good news. However, this year I have had several minor problems that I did not expect to happen all a once and in one year. Perhaps my expectations were too high.
Problems I have encountered this year: shower drain leak– no rubber washer; awning rafter frozen – had to be replaced; several cabinet door hinges loose; broken ladder rung; speaker bracket broken; antenna crank fell off; sliding closet door bracket broke; molding in closet fell off; molding in kitchen partially twisted off – looks like no space between counter top and molding for movement; sliding bedroom door locking strap broke and the medal lock did not keep it from releasing; stove vent flapper broke off while in camp – due to high winds, porch light burned out, Sealand toilet 210 losing all the water in the bowl.
Is the number of problems I am encountering normal and something I should expect every year? Or am I just going through the “terrible two’s”. I do expect there will be some maintenance required.

Doug & LInda,Estero, FL
2005 2980RL
2005 F-250 SD 4x2 6.0L V8 Diesel 5 SPD Auto
Reis 16k

dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:36 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Al says "tis always something on A rig". Any rig. We are always finding a little something to tweak or fix.

Sealand toilet, known problem, have you tried contacting them, think they supplied new seal???

Closet door things, yep, known weakness, we keep a few spares, after 3 years we finally replaced them as we found a split. Countryfolks has a unique fix for that. We just replace. And, don't close doors while in camp, reverse them, don't use the clips unless we are running.

Some of the other parts you mention, are surely weak links in the units. Like the hinges. That has shown up a few times lately. Not one we have found YET, note YET.

The straps for the sliding doors, not something we have had happen, Al re-did those at delivery, so there was no play in them, they fit tight around the door. We are careful when unhooking them, and so far, so good.

Like you say, these are minor but irritating. Gotta say, after some of the more serious problems we have had with our Tana, that these and other little things that we are always fixing, well, they don't hurt as bad as the serious ones did. Like a small splinter in the finger instead of a huge thorn in the bottom (the part you sit on! )

Also helps if you like to tinker with the unit, Al grumbles, but secretely I think he likes it!

Carol

(Thanks Glenn)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Recipe for the RVing Life

Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Doug and Linda,

Ironically each of your problems relate back to separate and individual manufacture - so no single name to point a finger at.

We are in our third year. We got all the initial manufacturer issues or problems resolved, but now its just wear and tear. I stil find the light fixture screws around on the floor, and those door strap snap covers, and I still have to push the staples back into the wall in the bathroom after traveling down the road. I've learned that I will always have to tighten the plumbing periodically, tighten screws, lubricate, and replace parts. It's just part of it.

Someday I'll get on the offensive side and actually start doing some preventative modifications that are so plentiful in this Forum based on the experiences and cleverness of the members.

Brad & Dory

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/bigtemp/language/www/US/CO/Littleton.gif"border=0
alt="Click for Littleton, Colorado Forecast" height=94 width=185[/img]

Visit Our Photo Site

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW LP Gen - great for the lake!
2006 F350 Stroker Lariat towmoter - love the trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR named Dam-It - occassional tow buddy

I ain't as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I always was - Toby Keith
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:34 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
dcowie. Get better,Not necessarily. Campers are high maintenance units..The more you use them the more apt they are to have problems. A good and ongoing program of preventative maint can decrease the probabilities of corrective maint. These are RECREATIONAL VEHICLES and many of us(ourselves included) use them in a manner they were not designed or intended to be used. No problem is normal but the kinds of issues you describe and that we all experience depending on usage are common. Develop a intense preventative maint program and stay with it.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, I hate to say it, but it sounds like life in an RV to me. Our issues may be a little different but on the same level of maintenance and we just took them to be normal wear and tear. That's why they say, "If you have an RV, you don't need a hobby."

Judy
http://spaces.msn.com/bamatravelers/
http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
Traveling with Glen and Greta in our 2004 Dodge dually and Montana 3380 RL

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
WHEW!!!

I'm glad Lippert isn't on the list as a known problem!

2005 Silverado D/A LLY 3500 SRW EXT CAB
2005 Challenger 35RLQ "pimped" with all kinds of goodies
Trail Air LO5 pin-box
Front Hydraulic Landing Gear
Reese 16K double-pivot slider
Prodigy brake controller
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I know it can be frustrating, but once you get them all fixed all will be good again. The thing to remember is RV's bounce, roll, rattle and shake down the road as we travel from one place to another. I hope you are able to get your issues corrected soon and get back to enjoying your rv.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Take a breather Dale!!

Something is always breaking with mine but usually it is just nickle-dime stuff. It has become my hobby to work on it. On my last trip a light fixture fell so I guess I will have to fix it soon. It is always something.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake w/TC lockup
AutoMeter Tranny/EGT Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
Superchips Towsafe
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I hope we are not jinxed by posting this but we are just about to turn 40,000 miles traveling in our Tana since July of 2005, including some of the roughest roads you could ever find in Alaska. Our baby has performed wonderfully. (knock on wood). I hope everyone will have as few problems as we have had.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I must be a glutten for punishment, cause when we have our rig out, I look for things to fix or make better.
I thought I had it pretty well taken care of until I began frequenting this place...you read up around here and these guys will keep you busy. But then you'll also have a top notch rig...

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:35 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I've owned boats and RVs and they are something you always have to tinker with. I am lucky because to me working on my RV is like a hobby. I could build model airplanes but I would much rather tinker around with my Montana.

Actually I have lived in my big stick house for 28 years and I have had to replace hot water tanks, door knobs, put a new roof on, new flooring and I can't even pull this place all over the country and it still needs maintenance. Who said life is fair.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #12
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
This is my second fifth wheel and my forth camper and my first new one. No it doesn't get any better. If you aren't handy with tools these things would leave a trail of parts behind you. Not to be negative I love mine and will buy another one day. If you use these rigs they take a beating going down the road. 6 tons of stapled press board at 65 mph wow! I love camping and fixing and upgrading!
Have fun out there!
Kevin
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:29 PM   #13
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
well at least they are minor fixes. My last unit we had some major problems! Note the fraze....my last unit!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:53 AM   #14
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Look like small problems but you should take the time to get to them before they turn on you and make them selfs big ones! All those things are inherent to the camper wear and tear. With the roads out there we travel on and the beating we give our campers it does bring on maintenance.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:11 AM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I replaced the seal on the Sealand toilet as it leaked when we brought the unit home. The service manager told me to get a jar of petroleum jelly and lube the seal every six months or so. Makes the seal swell and helps sealing. So, I bought some rubber gloves and Vaseline. We shall see.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:30 AM   #16
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Hi Will, Sorry that it took a bunch of flea bites to get you back on the forum. Glad to see you though. Don't forget to put on a little white coat and smile when you go to operate. Sounds like you do have a handle on things and a lot of good advice to read.

Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes they are high maint units. In my previous life and job we had a rigid routine of Daily, weekly,monthly, semi annual and annual maint on all of our equipment. Most of the manuals will outline some sort of maint schedule and through experience you add some of your own. It is time consuming but it pays off. Although these are RV's and you would think that since they have wheels, axles, etc they would be designed to with stand the rigors of well..Rv'ing..not so..the condition of many roads is just to much for the construction of any RV.You need to develop a preventative maint schedule and adhere to it..take care of your equipment and it will take care of you....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #18
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I have really enjoyed my Montana and camping as well. I was happy with my unit thinking I had most of the few bugs out until I discovered the bad AL-KO axles and the marginal engineering of putting a 6000 lb and a 5200 lb axle on my unit. According to Montana they regularly put different weight rated axles on these units. The 5200 lb axle is bent severely wearing the tires out on the inside. Take the time and crawl under your trailer and look at the axles and the tire wear. The axles should have a arch in them and the tires should be wearing evenly. The arch in the axle aligns the camber of the wheels and flexes as the trailer bounces down the road. My axles especially the rear one has lost their arch and must be replaced.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote