Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #21
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
I change mine twice a year regardless of the mileage. I change it in October and in April. You need to understand, I live in the northeast. Salt , ice and snow are my problem. I change it before I leave for Florida and when I’m getting ready. To go home.
New filters twice a year is cheap insurance for me. Also Lucas injected cleaner every other tank.
That’s just me, the guy that changes his oil and filter in the Cummins every 6 K.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #22
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
Hot Shot Secret Diesel Extreme is pretty remarkable. Available at most Walmarts and Amazon. Research it.

[IMG]https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shots-Secret-P040464Z-
Extreme/dp/B0053PLFYM/?tag=carcarehuntweb-20[/IMG]
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #23
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Quote:
Originally Posted by saber707 View Post
Hot Shot Secret Diesel Extreme is pretty remarkable. Available at most Walmarts and Amazon. Research it.

[IMG]https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shots-Secret-P040464Z-
Extreme/dp/B0053PLFYM/?tag=carcarehuntweb-20[/IMG]
Tractors supply as well
Old 04-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #24
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
I use Power Service in everything; Cummins, Detroit, John Deere, Duramax, Ford and Dodge account needed lubricisity. We use Air Dog pumps on the Duramax’s account they don’t have lift pumps. We change filters as indicated by the Vehical. We have no fuel issues after changing fuel lines on older equipment because the new diesel dried them out.
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #25
JBS
Established Member

M.O.C. #20108
I use a good additive every time I fuel up.
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #26
J10er
Established Member

M.O.C. #24824
Diesel Fuel Sys Cleanout

My experience: My Chevy 2012 Duramax 2500HD, at 82,000 miles of normal use, fuel injection pump disintegrated internally sending metal all through the fuel system and return lines to the tank. $!2,000 repair. The low-sulphur fuel has no lubricity. I now use Lucas or any premium fuel LUBRICANT/cleaner at every fill-up. Religiously! I was lucky, I took the plunge when I bought the truck new, bought the extended $0.00 deductible policy, extended the basic warranty out to 7 years and 84,000 miles. It seems that model years 2011 through 2016 use the CP4 series injector pump. The earlier CP3 series on engines before 2011 had no issues with the low-sulphur fuel. And the newest Duramax engines are fitted with different manufacturer's pump and the problem supposedly doesn't exist. The pumps have to pull the fuel from the tank and then pressurize the system. Aftermarket repair shops suggest putting a pump from the tank to the engine to help the injector pumps from laboring so hard. Adding a water treatment to the system helps, too, if you are in a hard weather climate. I have not done this. (Thinking about the 2021 models )
J10er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #27
Mike3387
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19510
Diesel Fuel Systems Cleanout

Starting with the OP comment and I'm in the same boat. I had no idea the fuel filters needed to be changed so often or a fuel additive needed to be added as well. I'll have to research this some more. Owning this RV and being a MOC member can cost me some $$$ and I appreciate the preventative care advice. I have a 2015 Silverado 35000HD that had 50k when I bought it over 2 years ago and put almost 15k on it since then. Oil change every 6k and I guess I'll start doing the fuel filter as well.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #28
mleeder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20360
Diesel Additive

I use Hot Shot EDT additive with every tank. Cleaner and Cetane booster. Injectors are very expensive, you need to take care of them.
mleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #29
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleeder View Post
I use Hot Shot EDT additive with every tank. Cleaner and Cetane booster. Injectors are very expensive, you need to take care of them.
Here is something to think about as you’re adding that or any cleaner every time you fuel. These hi teck injectors don’t just spray the fuel in the cylinders, it atomizes the fuel under pressures unheard of 30 years ago. All these modern fuel additives have a small amount of abrasives in them which will change the spray pattern over time. The more you use the faster the change. .
Remember, these injectors are expensive.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #30
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I'll probably get beat up for this but it won't be the first time so I don't care. From day 1, I have used Ford Cetane Booster every time I add fuel. I also have an aftermarket water separator/fuel filter from DieselSite. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and change oil and filter every 5,000 miles. I also drain the OEM water separator and change the filters in the DieselSite separator/filter every 5,000 miles. I change the OEM fuel filters every 15,000 miles. Is this overkill? Maybe. Diesel engines are expensive and diesel fuel problems, especially from water can result in very expensive repairs. I come from the school of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #31
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
I'll probably get beat up for this but it won't be the first time so I don't care. From day 1, I have used Ford Cetane Booster every time I add fuel. I also have an aftermarket water separator/fuel filter from DieselSite. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and change oil and filter every 5,000 miles. I also drain the OEM water separator and change the filters in the DieselSite separator/filter every 5,000 miles. I change the OEM fuel filters every 15,000 miles. Is this overkill? Maybe. Diesel engines are expensive and diesel fuel problems, especially from water can result in very expensive repairs. I come from the school of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
No beating here, my friend. I do almost the same thing to my cummins.
Never let anyone tell you how or where to spend your money .