Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2004, 06:12 PM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
TrailAir Installation

I spent the afternoon and installed our new TrailAir pin box on our 3295RK. Actually, The TrailAir install went very well but all projects have their mickey mouse part and this time it belongs to Montana.

First, the TrailAir equipment is all first class -- extremly well made. And, the instructions are straight forward. I did the entire install alone using a small floor jack on the tailgate of the truck to lower the old hitch down and then position the new pieces in place. This whole process took about four hours. The hardest part was breaking loose the old bolts. And, you need a really big torque wrench to put them back. (160 ft-pds)

The "MM" part was the junction box where the truck umbilical is tied into house wiring. On our unit, this is done using wirenuts inside a standard galvanized household wiring box. The box is held to the pin box with self tapping sheet metal screws. The worst part was the wirenut connecting the 12 volt power was filled with something like black silicon. I suppose this was meant to keep out the elements. What it actually did was gaurantee a poor connection.

Getting this box off the old pin box, cleaning up the connections and reinstalling consummed another two to three hours. (I did have to recharge the Makita once.) I was able to dress the cabling a bit and added an additional cable clamp to better secure the umbilical. Also, sealed the top/front of the junction box with silicone to really keep out the elements. The bottom holes in the box were left open toallow any condensation to drain.

I can't figure out why this connection isn't made more professional with a proper terminal strip and good quality crimp on connectors. Guess I spent too many years working in aviation and marine but, I expect more on a $50,000 rig. Wirenuts have no place here.
I guess after the warranty I will make it right.

I did take pictures of the installation process if anyone needs them and will e-mail on request.

Oh, one more thing. This whole process takes place under the forward part of the coach. So, unless you are real short, plan on being bent over for four to six hours. I think this is going to be a two Advil night.

Dave and Victoria
Arizona, Old Mexico and Michigan
Driving GMC 2500HD Duramax
Pulling Montana 3295 Big Sky
Sharing with a Yorkie (Dude) and a Schipperke (Dharma)
see the Montana pulled by an RV-4 at http://www.brickner.com/images/Montana_I.jpg

Edited by - Dave e Victoria on 01/27/2004 01:16:51 AM

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote