Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
Hedgehog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17426
2014 keystone alpine water heater question

Asking for a friend that recently purchased a 2014 alpine fifth wheel. We are looking for the power switch to run the water heater on 110 volts but can’t find it inside. I did find the switch on the water heater itself but my 2016 Montana and my previous 2004 Montana both had a switch on the interior to control the ac portion of the water heater. In the cabinet that has all his controls, the water heater control has a switch with an indicator light, that’s it. If anyone knows if this unit has an interior switch and the location, please let me know.

Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
It probably does not have a separate switch for the electric next to the gas switch. That switch is not really needed because you still should have a breaker in the electric panel that will turn off the electric to the water heater if you are wanting to just run on gas, maybe for times that you are connected to a 30 amp service and want reduced load on the electric. This also makes for a simpler system, because with the extra switch to control the electric side, there is also a relay at the water heater that would be controlled by that extra panel switch, and the 12 volts from the switch activates the relay to connect the 120 volts to the electric side of the water heater. Quite a few connections are eliminated by not having that other inside switch and this also reduces costs that would be passed on to the buyers of the rigs. So, this is not something to worry about, and many RV manufacturers do not have use electric switch.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:18 AM   #3
Hedgehog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17426
Thank you, on my last two campers, I only used the electric since I am usually connected to 50 amps when camping. I think I have only used the water heater on propane twice.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If it does not have a switch for electric on the same panel as the switch for gas, it probably does not have an inside switch. Easy to find out simply by turning on the switch on the water heater and see if the water gets hot.

A little surprised your 2004 had an inside switch for electric. My 2007 does not. I just turn on the outside switch as part of my set up routine. And turn it off when I tear down.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
Hedgehog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17426
My 2004 had a switch inside but it was located near the kitchen and it looked like a decor, 110 light switch.