Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Auto Leveling System Issues in Auto Mode

I have a problem with my Lippert Auto Level system. I think that I have read most all threads concerning this system on this Forum and quite a few other Forums. I have tried resetting and zeroing my unit with little to no success for my problems. My problem is that when I use the Auto selection the results are not accurate and usually only the two front jacks actually touch the ground. Yes I know about having the front end a bit higher etc. After talking with at least two technicians at Lippert they think that my remote Rear Sensor has either come loose from its mounting plate, connections are loose or it is broken. It is supposed to be located a couple of feet behind the rear axel between the frame rails. I was under the fifth wheel this morning and noticed that Keystone used Hilti power actuated nails to attach the coroplast or whatever it is called to the frame. Looks like a lot of work to remove from the rear end to the back axel plus removing the spare tire frame. Has anyone actually had to replace the rear remote sensor? The technician suggested cut and tape for access.
I can still use the manual mode with no problems but I would like the system to work correctly. Lippert customer service seems pretty decent and they did give me a free replacement cylinder for the one by my door that had a bad seal.
Sorry for being such a long post.
Happy roads to you.

Tom Marty

Old 03-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Hydraulic or electric levelers?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
With a 2016 3160 Montana he has hydraulic levelers. Someone else here just replaced their rear control unit. Search for posts from Papabeav as I think he was the one. I would cut the coroplast rather than trying to undo all those fasteners. A larger repair might warrant undoing the coroplast. Then you can replace the "nails" with self tapping screws.

On Edit:
You might try cutting off a couple of "nails" on one side of the coroplast and see if you can spot the sensor. That will help with finding a place to cut.

Here are a couple of Posts I found on the sensor location.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=70140
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums....php?p=1075490

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Those fasteners will come out, grab them with a nail cutter (hood trimmer) and roll them right out.

Mark
Old 03-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
I have a problem with my Lippert Auto Level system..............
The electric Lippert Auto Level system on my 2014 Montana High Country was problematic and did not always auto level or generally operated in manual. Took in for service under warranty but never happy with it even after that (probably operator error!!). We are very happy with the auto level hydraulic level system on our 2020 Montana and the dealer's service technician showed us how simple it was to operate.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Camp CA thanks for reading my post, this is a hydraulic system with six jacks, I am not sure of your older High Country but most of the ones that I know of consisted of four electric motor jacks. I have heard of some of both systems being problematic. After talking with a couple of different Lippert Techs. I am pretty confident that we have figured out what is causing the problems. I am just hoping to confirm that conclusion with some other Forum members before I start removing the chloroplast from under my unit. I also agree the system when working properly is very easy to use. (Just one button) ��
Old 03-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Thanks Mark I appreciate your contribution to part of my problem. I will probably remove the Hilti fasteners and then use self tapping galvanized hex head screws when I refasten it. I prefer threaded fasteners for stuff that has the potential for having to be taken apart.
Happy roads to you.

Tom Marty
Old 03-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #8
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Thanks Carl that’s a great suggestion but I will probably remove all of it starting from the rear as I can see loose wires etc laying on it where it is not completely fastened down properly.

Happy roads to you.

Tom Marty
Old 03-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #9
jofral58

M.O.C. #24865
I had to replace same sensor. Used endoscope camera to know where to cut, cut X in coroplast, replaced sensor, zip tied the four sections together, and taped. Doing fine.
jofral58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Well I can now say that my auto level system works as designed again. I started the replacement of the rear sensor with the Lippert Technician’s telling me where the sensor should be located which is even with the rear axle or just behind it secured in the correct position usually on it’s own little shelf. Technically that Is correct but mine turned out to be almost to the rear end of my unit. After removing all the Powder Actuated Nails, two channel supports the spare tire and hanger assembly and moving the coroplast or what ever it is called, I removed my sensor to confirm the correct part numbers. Sensor was supposed to be here on a Friday but didn’t make it until the following Monday. That afternoon I plugged it in and tested it out. I will say before you actually test the Auto Level functionality do a “Zero Setting the control” as it will not work correctly if you don’t. I was in a hurry and did not reset the Zero and the system worked quite well and at the end of leveling it suddenly lifted the DS and dropped the ODS to the maximum which caused a fault code. This caused one side to not work correctly even in manual mode. I ended up getting it close to level and set the zero. I then retracted the rear jacks and hit Auto level with good results and the code gone. I then re-leveled the unit and redid the zero point and now have a system that works correctly and the unit is level. Moral of the story is don’t get in a hurry and always reset the zero point if you have to replace the rear sensor in your Lippert 6 way Hydraulic Auto Level system. Oh yeah the I used some #12 self tapping screws with small fender washers and reused the Hilti nail holes. I even added some extra along the very back fenders as the factory really didn’t bother to actually drill through or shoot through the fender sheet metal. Fenders are actually nice and solid now. I would suggest a creeper if you do this work yourself, even then my lower back was extremely stiff after do this work.

Tom Marty
Old 05-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #11
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Dam, kinda of hard to read what your issues were.

Lippert is great but sometimes even they can't resolve the issues and you need to take your RV to a service center. But it sounds like you are going to tackle the issue. I'm just too old and the weather here sucks in Michigan.

Good luck.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #12
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Pretty simple the auto level did not work properly. The fix was not just a simple zero set etc. I was trying to help other people who might have the same problems. Auto level say level but none of the rear jack would even touch the ground. Replaced rear sensor for auto level and system works Correctly.

Tom Marty