Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2023, 10:15 AM   #1
gchesnutt
Established Member

M.O.C. #33471
Brakes actuator

Can anyone help me locate the brake actuator on my 2021 3761fl?

gchesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 10:27 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Glenn,

There is normally a manual brake actuator with your brake controller in your truck. There is also an emergency brake actuator on the kingpin of the rig that is hooked via a cable back to your truck in case the rig disconnects from the truck.

I am not clear what you are asking about.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 11:21 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I don't understand what you mean by "actuator". An actuator is a device that moves along a set track, back and forth a set distance. They are used in electric recliner chairs and such. Never heard of anything like that for brakes on a vehicle.

If you are wanting to know how to activate the brakes on the trailer, there are only a couple ways.

The first is to push the brake peddle of the tow vehicle. An electric charge is passed through the pig tail plug on the trailer and activates the brakes. The brakes are electric, and DC electricity activates them.

The second way is to pull the cable on the brake-away switch found on either the trailer tongue or the King Pin Box on a fifth wheel. When the cable is pulled, a pin inside a little box is pulled out. This allows an electric circuit to activate the brakes. This switch is powered by the battery on the trailer itself. The brakes are powered by the trailer battery too.

The purpose for the brake away cable / switch is in the event the trailer separates from the tow vehicle while in motion, the pin will pull activating the trailer brakes, stopping the trailer in a controlled fashion.

You can pull that pin yourself to test the brakes. When you do, you'll hear an electric hum at the brakes themselves. But, you don't want to leave that pin pulled for any length of time. The constant electric draw on the brakes will drain the battery and can burn up the electronics of the brakes themselves. They are designed to stop the trailer when in motion, not hold the brakes on indefinately when parked.

If you need the trailer wheels secured, then you chalk the tires with wedges or tire chalks. No matter where, and under every condition (even perfectly fat surfaces), you should always chalk the tires, front and back directions to prevent the trailer from moving.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 12:09 PM   #4
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
If you have a legacy, the disc brake actuator is usually in the compartment near the batteries or in one of the propane compartments. But when we were at the rally this year, I wanted to see what actuators keystone is using and neither the Tiara salesman or I could find the actuator on the legacy model they had there. It definitely was not in the front compartment
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 01:21 PM   #5
gchesnutt
Established Member

M.O.C. #33471
Thanks for the replies. I was asking about the controller/activator on the trailer. Mine is not a Legacy but I can find nothing that looks like what I am looking for.
Old 12-25-2023, 01:22 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Do you have disk or drum brakes? What is the issue you are sorting out?

Old 12-25-2023, 02:01 PM   #7
gchesnutt
Established Member

M.O.C. #33471
My 2021 3761fl is new to me. Towing with a 2020 gmc 3500 Sierra. The trailer brakes don't seem to work at all, but did work with my previous 37' outback. I am not sure what brakes the Monty has but have been told this model comes with electric/hydronic drum brakes. According to what I have read on this forum and others, electrical/hydronic brakes are not compatible with any gmc, ford, or ram oem controller. Etrailer has an adapter that can be mounted on the trailer to make it compatible but they need the model and serial# of the controller on the trailer to check compatibility. So far I have not found the controller in the front compartment or propane compartments.
Old 12-25-2023, 02:23 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Lets's start at the beginning. What brakes do you have? Look at the brakes behind the wheel spokes.

Do they look like these Drum Brakes?
Click image for larger version

Name:	drum brake.png
Views:	17
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	16173
*OR*

Do they look like these Disc Brakes?

Name:	disc brake.png
Views:	15
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	16172

A non-Legacy likely doesn't have Disc Brakes. Drum Brakes are standard. There is no controller on the RV for Drums. Drum brakes are compatible with any truck controller whether integrated or stand alone.

Electric/Hydraulic refers to Disc Brakes. There is a hydraulic controller on the RV for them.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 02:25 PM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Glenn,

Your rig likely has drum brakes. When you look through the wheels you will see either a disk or drum to be certain.

Assuming drum brakes, the controller is part of the truck and there is not a controller on the trailer. Pull the book out on your truck and read up on trailer brakes. As I remember GM did have some issues with disk brakes but not drum brakes. If that doesn't work hire a mobile tech.

Old 12-25-2023, 04:18 PM   #10
gchesnutt
Established Member

M.O.C. #33471
I do have drum brakes so it is back to troubleshooting the electrical system to the magnets. The wheels do lock when the emergency cable is pulled.
Old 12-25-2023, 04:35 PM   #11
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
If the breakaway switch activates the brakes, then the problem is in the truck or between the truck and pinbox. The breakaway switch is wired into the trailer brake line in the pinbox junction box. Pulling the breakaway completes the circuit between the trailer batteries and the brake wire in that junction box, sending 12v to the brakes. Start checking things at your 7 pin connector.
The picture below shows the blue wire (brakes) from the pigtail that plugs into the truck attached to the blue brake wire of the trailer. The black line is the line from the breakaway switch that powers the brakes when the pin is pulled. So, if the brakes work when activating the breakaway, you know everything is working from there back to the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3688.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	16174  
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 10:15 AM   #12
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Does your truck have a factory trailer brake controller? If so have you tried to set the gain on the controller? Does the manual slider (pinch) lever work in the truck?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 01:29 PM   #13
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Drum brakes have no central device, they are wires to the 7 pin and the truck operates the brakes. If, as you have said the breakaway operates the brakes the issue lies between the truck and trailer or in the truck brake controller. You may have to set the gain up higher to actuate the brakes a noticeable amount. If i remember correctly I ran the gain on my ford at 9 when i had drum brakes on my 3761FL. With my new disc brakes it is set at 6.5
Old 12-31-2023, 02:14 PM   #14
BobM
Established Member

M.O.C. #31115
On the GMC 2020 Sierra, you need to modify the settings on the dash info display. Create a profile for your rig. Weight, length, height, etc. and as mentioned, set the brake gain. Once you create the profile it is good until you change the rig. That should fix your problem.

Bob & Angela
2022 3813MS, 2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW LB
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:25 PM   #15
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
Brakes

The brake master cylinder is in the battery compartment. Towards the rear of the compartment. My 2020 3761FL had a leaf spring break that severed the brake hose and all hydraulic fluid. Not fun stopping without brakes
Speck56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:43 PM   #16
gchesnutt
Established Member

M.O.C. #33471
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. The problem turned out to be the 7pin connector in the bed of the truck. The break pin was shorted. After cleaning and greasing the connectors everything seems to be working normal. Won't know for sure until I hit the road again. At least I know now that if there is a problem, I can connect to the bumper 7pin and all is well.
Old 12-31-2023, 03:22 PM   #17
Rhortie1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26252
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchesnutt View Post
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. The problem turned out to be the 7pin connector in the bed of the truck. The break pin was shorted. After cleaning and greasing the connectors everything seems to be working normal. Won't know for sure until I hit the road again. At least I know now that if there is a problem, I can connect to the bumper 7pin and all is well.
Just fyi for the future, my 2019 oem brake controller is not compatible with E/H brake systems. I had to install an aftermarket controller in my 2019 but I have the Legacy package.
Rhortie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 06:18 PM   #18
jelders25
Established Member

M.O.C. #26208
Hello from OKC, I had the same problem on my 2020 Legacy but was insistent on using my factory controller. I like all the factory options that are built into it. Did you know about the Dexter service bulletin #010, dated May 28, 2020. Dexter part number K58-036-00 E/H compatibility adapter fixes the issue we were having.
jelders25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 07:05 AM   #19
Rhortie1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelders25 View Post
Hello from OKC, I had the same problem on my 2020 Legacy but was insistent on using my factory controller. I like all the factory options that are built into it. Did you know about the Dexter service bulletin #010, dated May 28, 2020. Dexter part number K58-036-00 E/H compatibility adapter fixes the issue we were having.
Unfortunately I bought my rig before this bulletin came out and once I paid for the aftermarket controller I just kept it.
Rhortie1 is offline   Reply With Quote