Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2022, 12:56 PM   #1
Vikinghb
Established Member

M.O.C. #29141
Sofa Slide Search

Like a lot of us with older trailers the sofas in our 2014 3850FL 5th wheel are peeling. We are looking to replace both and we are having issues finding anything. Both sofas in the front living room sit on slideouts. The slideouts are raised 6” from the floor so our other couches were notched to fit. In front of the slideout which was under the sofa extension over this front is a bunch of wiring. No idea why they wouldn’t have put them somewhere to be hidden.
Anyone run into this issue, and if you can provide solutions it would be great.
The space on both slides are 80” wide, but we would consider as small as 72”.

Vikinghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 03:52 PM   #2
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Before deciding to reupholster ours, I thought about how to use regular home style sofas in the slides. Keep in mind I never tried this so I don't know if it will work or if it will be visually pleasing, and I'm struggling to describe the following.

The problem to solve is the depth of the new sofas, which will likely overhang the front edge of the slideouts. I think you could use a 1x6 board under each side, screwed to the slide, on top of which the sofa can rest, with its feet, if any, removed. The ends of the boards could be recessed a bit to not show. The existing 6" high kick plates that are permanently mounted to the floor over which the slides move, could be moved out a bit, and the electrical wires hidden behind them.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:17 PM   #3
Vikinghb
Established Member

M.O.C. #29141
One of the issues is a regular sofa will sit quite a bit higher, so someone like my wife who is 5’7” will not be able to reach the floor with her feet. I guess. I could look for a sofa with long removable legs.
Vikinghb is offline   Reply With Quote