Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
The Dukes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7451
Hwy 101 into San Luis Obispo

We are Hollister, CA enroute to San Luis Obispo southbound via Hwy 101. Today, in the RV park. we were told that there is a long steep grade down into SLO and we would be better off crossing to the west to Cambria and going into SLO via Hwy 1. On the map that looks like a long ways out of the way. Is there any reason to make this detour to avoid this grade?

Thanks, Warren

The Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't remember any grade being that bad on that route, towing or not. Hwy 101 is quite wide through there with lots of semitruck/trailers going through there. On steep grades I use lower gears up or down. You should be fine. In fact, it would probably be the easiest route overall compared to any other side route.

Hopefully, some one else will post quickly to confirm. It's been a few years since we've been through that area and I still think it would still be the easiest to use from Hollister to SLO.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Warren, I go up and down Cuesta Grade towing our montana 3000rk with a F350. Trucks have a 35 mph speed zone from the top to the bottom southbound. Use the tow haul. and hold the speed down to 45-50. At the bottom of the hill in a slight curve to the right,the truck lane ends. It's best to be in the center lane toward the bottom.
As you enter San Luis Obispo from the north, get in the left lane and stay over there. I run 50-55 over there. There are several short on/off ramps there that can get interesting with people merging onto the freeway.
When it's all over,you'll say that wasn't bad. Be safe, Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
The Dukes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7451
Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep my speed down and shouldn't have any problems. The guy that told me I should detour was talking "10-12 miles of 8-9% grade". It sounds like I'll be fine.
Thanks again, Warren
Old 10-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Warren, I don't think that it's over 3 miles. 5 to 6 % ,I'd guess. It's not bad. Just be in the center lane before the bottom if any traffic is approaching you from the rear. Cars come off there pretty fast.Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I'm heading that way tomorrow, you won't have any problems if you take your time.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
I came down it last week. It is longer than three miles, but it is easily done. I came down in second gear and had to use my brakes two or three times. Just take your time and ejoy the scenery..
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
The Dukes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7451
As most of you said it would be, it was a piece of cake. The guy in Hollister who said we should avoid it must have driven in from a different planet!

Bill, your advice to get left at the bottom was great as there was a parade of 18 wheelers that wanted to merge left as their lane was ending.

Thanks again, that's what this forum is about!

Warren
Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Another route to notch on your belt. Good job!

The guy in Hollister probably doesn't know how to drive his rig on hills comfortably so he struggled. It does require some understanding how engines/transmissions work to control speed and I can't tell you how many people I've met that do not like to hear their diesel or gas engines whine at high RPMs. But it's all okay once you learn and understand what's going on (having a tachometer helps with this a lot). I also notice following downhillers that are riding their brakes - another rig that doesn't know how to descend and probably ascend - hills or curves.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote